Source: 49ers will not seek to release Kaepernick

kaepernick-colin.jpg

Source: 49ers will not seek to release Kaepernick

Trade talks have gone cold over the past week and the 49ers appear prepared for quarterback Colin Kaepernick to remain with the organization to compete for the starting job.

“There’s a good chance he’s still on the team the way things look now,” a source told CSNBayArea.com early Thursday.

The source said the Denver Broncos, Cleveland Browns or New York Jets -- teams currently without starting quarterbacks -- have not shown much urgency to acquire Kaepernick in a trade. The 49ers are holding tight in their trade demand, believed to be a second- or early third-round draft pick.

The source reiterated what general manager Trent Baalke stated last month at the NFL Scouting Combine: The 49ers will not release Kaepernick before April 1, when his $11.9 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed.

[MAIOCCO: Chip Kelly ready to 'coach heck out of' Colin Kaepernick]

Baalke and coach Chip Kelly are both on the record as saying they expect Kaepernick to remain on the team and compete for the 49ers’ starting job against Blaine Gabbert, who replaced him last season after eight games.

Kelly certainly made no guarantees on Wednesday that Kaepernick would remain with the 49ers when he spoke briefly with the Sacramento Bee at San Jose State’s pro day.

“If he’s here on April 4, we’re going to coach the heck out of him and he’s going to work his ass off,” Kelly said.

If Kaepernick is not traded or released – an option the source said, “Won’t happen” – he plans to attend the 49ers’ offseason program, reported Cam Inman of the Mercury News, citing a league source.

Kaepernick could choose to stay away from the voluntary program in hopes it would lead to a trade or his release. In addition to his $11.9 million salary, Kaepernick is also scheduled to earn $400,000 for 90-percent participation in the 49ers’ nine-week offseason program.

Just hours after Kelly on Feb. 25 expressed his belief that Kaepernick was “excited” to return to the 49ers, Kaepernick’s representatives requested the 49ers give him permission to seek a trade. Last Thursday, the 49ers engaged in trade talks with the Broncos, Browns and Jets. But there has not been any movement in those discussions over the past week, according to sources.

Kaepernick is currently rehabbing from surgeries to his left shoulder, right thumb and left knee in Vail, Colorado. He is expected to visit the 49ers on Friday for a follow-up examination. Team officials are prohibited from speaking to him about football matters until the beginning of the offseason program.

Until April 1, Kaepernick’s $11.9 million salary is guaranteed for injury only. If Kaepernick were unable to pass a physical, the 49ers would not be allowed to release Kaepernick without a settlement.

49ers 2017 UDFA tracker: Southern Miss QB reportedly agrees to terms

49ers 2017 UDFA tracker: Southern Miss QB reportedly agrees to terms

SANTA CLARA – The 49ers are reportedly adding a fourth quarterback to their 90-man roster.

Nick Mullens a four-year starter at Southern Mississippi, agreed to terms with the 49ers after the conclusion of the Saturday’s NFL draft, he told the Hattiesburg American.

As a senior, Mullens completed 65.5 percent of his passes for 3,272 yards with 24 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

Mullens joins a quarterback group that includes starter Brian Hoyer, backup Matt Barkley and third-round draft pick C.J. Beathard.

Other reported 49ers free-agent agreements include:

--RB Matt Breida, Georgia Southern: In three seasons at Georgia Southern, Breida rushed for 3,740 yards and 37 touchdowns while averaging 6.9 yards a carry. (Tampa Bay Times)

--OL Erik Magnuson, Michigan: Magnuson (6-6, 305) was a first-team All-Big Ten performer who started every game at right tackle. He announced on Twitter that he has agreed to terms with the 49ers.

--WR Kendrick Bourne, Eastern Washington: He caught 211 passes for 3,130 yards and 27 touchdowns in his four-year career. Bourne (6-1, 203) had his best season as a senior, with 79 receptions for 1,201 yards and seven touchdowns. Eastern Washington announced Bourne’s three-year contract.

--OT Darrell Williams Jr., Western Kentucky: Williams (6-5, 315) started 41 games. He played his final two seasons at right tackle after moving from right guard. Western Kentucky announced the contract agreement with the 49ers.

--WR KD Cannon, Baylor: Cannon caught 195 passes for 3,113 and 27 touchdowns in his three-year career. He turned pro after a junior season in which he caught 87 passes for 1,215 yards and 13 touchdowns. He announced his contract agreement with the 49ers via Twitter.

--DB Lorenzo Jerome, Saint Francis (PA): Jerome, a Senior Bowl invite, was named first-team FCS All-American. He intercepted six passes in 2016 with 59 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss and 11 pass break-ups. He added a touchdown on a kickoff return. (Pittsburgh Post Gazette)

--LB Jimmie Gilbert, Colorado (Denver Post)

--OL J.P. Flynn, Montana (NEPatriotsdraft.com)

--DE Noble Nwachukwu, West Virginia (NEPatriotsdraft.com)

--TE Cole Hikutini, Louisville (NFL Network)

--LB Donavin Newsom, Missouri (Columbia Daily Tribune)

--WR Victor Bolden, Oregon State (Bolden via Twitter)

Lynch: TE McDonald to return to 49ers after being on trade block

Lynch: TE McDonald to return to 49ers after being on trade block

SANTA CLARA – The 49ers explored trade options for veteran tight end Vance McDonald during the three-day draft, but he is scheduled be back with the team when the club reports Monday for the fourth week of the offseason program.

“I think that’s the reality of new regimes coming, new schemes,” 49ers general manager John Lynch said Saturday at the conclusion the seven-round draft. “That’s not to say that he can’t fit into our scheme. Frankly, we received some interest from some other people, then we did explore some options throughout the league with Vance. Nothing ended up happening, so Vance will come back and have an opportunity to compete.”

Coach Kyle Shanahan said he called McDonald on Friday night to keep him updated on the team’s though process in pursuing trade options. McDonald was at his brother’s wedding, Shanahan said, so he left him a long voice message. McDonald responded Saturday morning with a text. Shanahan said the two men will speak on Monday in Santa Clara.

“We did take over a 2-14 team,” Shanahan said. “We don’t feel all the answers are here right now. We have a lot of work to do. We need to improve in any way possible. And we’re going to do that. We’re going to do that from an organizational standpoint. How can we improve the building? How can we improve the coaching staff? How can we improve the personnel department? How can we improve the players?

“Just from Vance’s text back, I think people understand that. I think it does make sense. I don’t think that’s something personal.”

Former 49ers general manager Trent Baalke signed off on a five-year contract extension for McDonald in December that consisted of a $7 million signing bonus. McDonald appeared in 11 games last season, catching 24 passes for 391 yards and four touchdowns. The 49ers acquired McDonald as a second-round draft pick 2013. In 48 career games, McDonald has 64 receptions for 866 yards and seven touchdowns.

The 49ers signed veteran tight end Logan Paulsen in the offseason. On Saturday, the 49ers selected Iowa tight end George Kittle in the fifth round of the draft. Kittle joins fellow tight ends McDonald, Garrett Celek, Paulsen, Blake Bell and Je’Ron Hamm on the 49ers’ 90-man roster.