Cal Ripken discusses his mom's kidnapping


Cal Ripken discusses his mom's kidnapping

From Comcast SportsNet
BALTIMORE (AP) -- Cal Ripken says his 74-year-old mother is doing "pretty well" and has been comforted by family members since her kidnapping last week. The Hall of Fame infielder told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Friday that his mother Vi is a tough woman, but her sense of security has been violated. He says she has not yet returned to her home in Aberdeen, Md. Vi told police she was kidnapped at gunpoint last week, blindfolded and driven around. She was found unharmed in her car the following day. Cal Ripken has scheduled a news conference for Friday morning in Baltimore, when he's expected to provide an update on the investigation. Aberdeen, Md., police have released a sketch and video of the suspect, but have provided few details.

Sharks Notes: DeMelo will play soon; Couture sick


Sharks Notes: DeMelo will play soon; Couture sick

SAN JOSE – Dylan DeMelo may finally be coming to a San Jose Sharks game near you.

The 23-year-old defenseman, who has yet to play in any of the first six games, will likely make his season debut shortly coach Pete DeBoer indicated on Monday.

“That’s something we discuss every day,” DeBoer said. “We like him, we’re very comfortable with him. We’d have no problem putting him in. I know Bob [Boughner] has no problem playing him, and not worrying about playing him against anybody out there. It’s a nice luxury to have. 

“We can get to the point where it’s too many games where he’s sitting out. We’re getting close to that. We’re going to have to get him in soon here.”

DeMelo has not played for the Sharks since the final game of the 2015-16 regular season on April 9. He served as the seventh defenseman in the playoffs, but the Sharks dressed the same six blueliners throughout their run to the Stanley Cup Final.

In the preseason, DeMelo – who would have to clear waivers in order to be reassigned to the Barracuda – beat out Mirco Mueller for the seventh job on the Sharks. He signed a two-year contract extension in the offseason.

A former sixth round pick of the club in 2011, DeMelo had a breakthrough season in 2015-16, playing in 45 games and establishing himself as an NHL defenseman. He finished the season with two goals and two assists for four points and an even rating.

* * *

While the Sharks shook up their forward lines at Monday’s skate, the top power play unit remained the same. Brent Burns, Joe Pavelski, Logan Couture, Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau are still together and will try to work out the kinks to their game.

The Sharks are 3-for-20 on the power play, with just one of those coming on a five-on-four.

“We’re not shooting the puck enough, that’s the big thing,” Couture said. “We’ve got to shoot the puck, get traffic. We always have a guy in front of the net and we’ve been getting away from that.”

* * *

Couture has managed five points (2g, 3a) through the first six games, all while battling a persistent cold that he just can’t shake. It’s obvious he’s dealing with some sort of sinus issue when hearing him speak the past few days.

“It’s like a month, it won’t go away,” Couture said. “It’s crazy.”

* * *

Breaking with standard practice, the Sharks opted to stay in Detroit the night after Saturday’s game, rather than immediately flying home on the team charter.

The Sharks were a miserable 1-8-1 in their first home game after a multiple-game road trip last regular season, with their lone win coming against Edmonton in a shootout, so DeBoer figured he would try something different this year.

“When we sat down in the summer and looked at areas to improve, our record coming back from road trips was not good last year,” he said. “We looked at opponents when we came back, our travel schedule. We’re just looking for answers to fix some of the areas that maybe we weren’t real good at last year.”

Eagles claim former 49ers DT off waivers

Eagles claim former 49ers DT off waivers

Taylor Hart is headed back to Philadelphia.

Just two days after the 49ers waived the defensive tackle, the Eagles claimed him on Monday. Philadelphia announced the Hart acquistion in a series of roster moves.

The 49ers originally got Hart when they claimed him off waivers from the Eagles on Sept. 5.

Hart was waived on Saturday when the 49ers promoted running back DuJuan Harris to the active roster.

The Eagles' 2014 fifth-round pick appeared in one game for the 49ers and made two tackles.