Giants exercise '12 options for Sabean and Bochy

380020.jpg

Giants exercise '12 options for Sabean and Bochy

Feb. 4, 2011GIANTS PAGE GIANTS VIDEO

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) Brian Sabean and Bruce Bochy are set to lead the San Francisco Giants through 2012.The World Series champions exercised their contract options for the general manager and manager Friday less than two weeks before pitchers and catchers report to spring training in Scottsdale, Ariz. The Giants made an improbable run to the franchise's first title since 1954 and first since moving West in 1958, beating the Texas Rangers in five games last fall.
RELATED: Giants' official statement
That's after they clinched their first NL West crown since 2003 on the season's final day.Sabean, 54, is the longest-tenured GM in the majors heading into his 15th season with San Francisco - the place he has said he'd like to stay for the rest of his career. He became the Giants' GM in 1996 after three years in player personnel. He was in the Yankees' organization from 1985-92 as a scout, scouting director and player development director.Sabean hired the 55-year-old Bochy away from the rival San Diego Padres in 2007 to replace Felipe Alou. But there wasn't immediate success and both men received harsh criticism along the way for moves they made and those they didn't.Neither is ready to say the 2010 run brings them redemption, both quick to credit the players for the World Series championship that most figured was headed to the favored Philadelphia Phillies. Instead, the Giants eliminated the defending NL champions in the NLCS.Bochy's spot-on moves throughout the postseason with a roster minus a superstar finally earned him the respect of a fan base that had become impatient to have a winner again."This year we got it right largely because he was at the helm," said Giants managing partner Bill Neukom, who said there were no discussions yet about an extension beyond 2012.In October 2009, the futures of Sabean and Bochy were uncertain. Then, both men received two-year contract extensions from Neukom.Neukom saw enough positive signs from a club that stayed in the wild-card chase until mid-September in '09 but missed the playoffs for a sixth straight year. Even after Bochy's first season - and Bonds' last - in 2007 ended with a 71-91 record, some fan message boards called for his firing. Others figured Sabean deserved a shot to turn things around with Bonds finally out of the picture.He has done that at last, making a handful of risky moves midseason last year that paid off when it mattered most.Pat Burrell got a second chance after the Rays released him. The Giants picked up Cody Ross in August off waivers from the Marlins, and he became a postseason start receiving NLCS MVP honors in San Francisco's six-game victory over the Phillies. He drove in 10 runs during the playoffs, two in the World Series win over the Texas Rangers.Sabean also promoted catcher Rookie of the Year catcher Buster Posey in May and traded away Bengie Molina.The GM has kept nearly the entire roster intact to make another go at this. The Giants lost World Series MVP Edgar Renteria and utility infielder Juan Uribe, departed to the rival Dodgers."I feel a lot more anxiety. What's next? Have we kept enough of the group together?" Sabean said. "Have we had enough change? ... There's enough to be excited about, but we also know that we had to go like (mad) to win this thing the last day of the season."Bochy made the tough call to leave struggling 126 million starting pitcher Barry Zito off the roster for the entire postseason. He also decided midseason to bench center fielder Aaron Rowand, who behind Zito is the team's second-highest paid player.Bochy was swept in the 1998 World Series while with San Diego and eliminated in the minimum three games in the 2005 division series by St. Louis, then lost in four games to the Cardinals in the first round the very next year. That '98 team was Bochy's lone pennant in 12 seasons as Padres skipper.He got a fresh start in Northern California with the Giants. Bochy's first Giants team went 71-91 and the one after that finished with just one more victory at 72-90."This has been an incredible ride. What a year. "I'm very honored to continue to be a Giant. This is a special place to be. I'm very lucky you have the confidence in me to lead this group of castoffs and misfits."

Staley's streak expected to end after 92 consecutive starts

usatsi_9575116.jpg

Staley's streak expected to end after 92 consecutive starts

Five-time Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Staley is listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game due to a hamstring injury, the 49ers announced on Friday.

Staley has the third-longest active streak among offensive tackles with 92 consecutive starts. Only Cleveland's Joe Thomas (156) and Oakland's Donald Penn (153) rank ahead of him on the list.

Coach Chip Kelly said Friday morning on his weekly show on KNBR that the 49ers have two more days of training “and then we’ll see what Joe’s status is going into the game on Sunday.”

Kelly added, “That’s kind of what we normally do with everybody. The best thing to say with Joe is he’s day-to-day. We’re hopeful, but we have two more days out on the field.”

With Staley not expected to play, the 49ers will likely shift left guard Zane Beadles to left tackle. Andrew Tiller, who started the first five games of the season at right guard, would likely start at left guard.

The 49ers expected outside linebacker Aaron Lynch to return to action on Sunday after missing five games with a high-ankle sprain, Kelly said on KNBR. Lynch is listed as questionable, along with defensive tackle Quinton Dial, who has a left elbow injury

The Jets will be without at least one starter. Right tackle Breno Giacomini was ruled out due to injuries. Brent Qvale, a third-year player from Nebraska, is scheduled to make his fifth NFL start.

Defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson is listed as questionable with an ankle injury.

49ERS
Doubtful
T Joe Staley (hamstring)
Questionable
DT Quinton Dial (elbow)
LB Aaron Lynch (ankle)

JETS
Out
RB Khiry Robinson (lower leg)
DT Steve McLendon (hamstring)
T Breno Giacomini (back, calf, shoulder)
LB Lorenzo Mauldin (ankle)
S Antonio Allen (concussion)
WR Jalin Marshall (concussion)
Questionable
DE Muhammad Wilkerson (ankle)

49ers expect Aaron Lynch to return to action vs Jets

49ers expect Aaron Lynch to return to action vs Jets

Outside linebacker Aaron Lynch has missed give games with a high-ankle sprain and still appears to be restricted while moving in pre-practice drills.

But 49ers coach Chip Kelly said Friday morning on his radio show on KNBR that he anticipates Lynch will be able to get back on the field Sunday against the New York Jets for just his fourth game of the season.

Kelly was asked about why the 49ers have not promoted outside linebacker Marcus Rush from the practice squad. Rush led the 49ers with six sacks in the exhibition season. His best game came against the Denver Broncos, beating former Nevada tackle Kyle Roberts for three sacks. Roberts is not on an NFL roster or practice squad.

“We haven’t had an opportunity at outside linebacker,” Kelly said. “We didn’t put Aaron on IR, and we anticipate getting Aaron back this week. So we really don’t have a spot at that position he plays.

“If we were to lose a player at outside linebacker, then we’d certainly think about activating him. But we ahven’t lost an outside linebacker, so we still have Ahmad Brooks, Eli Harold, Tank Carradine and Aaron. We carry four outside linebackers on our team. Aaron’s been out for a little bit here with his ankle, but it wasn’t a season-ending injury, so we just really don’t have a spot for him.”

Lynch has one sack in three games this season. He was suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the league’s policy on substances of abuse. He has not returned to action since sustaining an ankle sprain in the Oct. 23 game against Tampa Bay.