Giants' Posey releases statement on Cousins

Giants' Posey releases statement on Cousins
June 4, 2011, 7:38 pm
Share This Post

June 4, 2011
GIANTS PAGE GIANTSVIDEO
CSNBayArea.com staff

In the wake of controversial comments from Giants GM Brian Sabean and news of Scott Cousins receiving death threats, Buster Posey released a statement addressing the situation.

"I appreciate the continued support of Giants fans and others as I begin the process of working my way back," Posey said in a statement released by the Giants. "But in no way do I condone threats of any kind against Scott Cousins or his family."

Posey has received some criticism of his own for not responding to Cousins' attempts to apologize. In his statement, he expresses a desire to move on and not dwell on the incident by talking with Cousins.

"As I said last week, I'm not out to vilify Scott," the Posey statement reads. "I appreciate that he made the effort to reach out to me on the night of the play, but I was in no physical condition to talk to anyone. I have not been back with the team since that night, so I haven't even been aware of any other messages he's left for me. We all need to move on, so it isn't necessary to have a conversation with him at this point."

There is speculation that the Giants will want Posey to move from behind the plate when he gets healthy in order to protect him, however, Posey is resistant to a position change.

"My only focus right now is looking forward, getting healthy and returning to catching for the Giants.