Special to CSNBayArea.com
49 year-old Jamie Moyer was released by the Orioles Saturday, despite posting a 1.69 ERA in 16 innings at Triple A Norfolk. The Os say they like what they saw from Moyer, but that the timing wasnt right for him to join their rotation. So Moyer, as Vlad Guerrero and Manny Ramirez had already done this year, asked for and received his release.
So now what? Orioles manager Buck Showalter says he wouldnt be surprised to see Moyer, 269-209 for his career, pitching for another major league club this year. Here are five reasons why that club should be the Oakland As:
1) Moyers already won as many games with the Rockies this season 2 as Tim Lincecum has won with the Giants.
2) You want experience on a young staff? Forget Dot Racing. When Moyer was a rookie, they had actual chariot racing between innings.
3) His average fastball makes MLBs handling of the San Jose territorial rights dispute seem speedy by comparison.
4) Having him around would be a great ego boost for Manager Bob Melvin, since BoMel hit .400 against Jamie Moyer, with 4 hits in 10 at bats much better than Bruce Bochys .143 (1 for 7) Moyer mark.
5) In his honor, you could change the spelling of the upper deck seat covers to tAARPs.
Whitey Gleason is the host of "The Rise Guys" on 95.7 The Game