Melvin now a proponent of additional replay

John Schuerholz announces 'historic' MLB rule change

Melvin now a proponent of additional replay
August 15, 2013, 12:00 pm
Share This Post

Starting next year, MLB managers will be allowed one 'challenge' in the first six innings of a game and two after the seventh. (USA TODAY IMAGES)

OAKLAND -- With news breaking that major league baseball is expanding instant replay next season, A's manager Bob Melvin has come to accept the video process as part of the national pastime.

"Sure, yeah, absolutely, and my stance on that has probably changed in the last year or so," Melvin said late Thursday morning.

And the reason for his change?

"You want to get it right," he said. "And I was a little bit of a traditionalist before where there's human error involved, but as long as everybody's on the same page with it, where the idea's to get it right, then I'm all for that."

Commissioner Bud Selig announced earlier in the day in Cooperstown that managers will be allowed one "challenge" in the first six innings of a game and two after the seventh inning. According to Associated Press, "calls that are challenged will be reviewed by a crew in MLB headquarters in New York City, which will make the final ruling."

[NEWS: MLB to expand instant replay in 2014]

Of course, opponents of additional replay cite the delay of game factor. Melvin, though, thinks that might not be a factor.

"If there's somebody there watching it, you would think that, potentially, that would speed it up," Melvin said. "Now where the flags or whatever come into play, I'm not really sure. But I think not only do you want to get it right, you also want to get it right quickly. So if somebody's watching it and is on top of it and has the use of replay very quickly, it certainly doesn't sound like a bad thing to me."

 

More Team Talk

1h
1h
4h
4h