Oakland mayor Jean Quan said Friday that the city has a plan to keep the A's and has identified two viable sites for a ballpark.
Quan held a press conference to underscore the city's commitment and said she will send a letter to Major League baseball commissioner Bud Selig outlining the options.
"We think we are the only city that can get this done in the timeframe for Opening Day 2016," the mayor said.
One location is Victory Court -- just west of the Nimitz Freeway near Jack London Square -- and the other is the current Coliseum complex, which Quan said would be renamed "Coliseum City" -- a sports and entertainment complex.
Assistant city administrator Fred Blackwell said it's "not only about sports, but about the revitalization of our city."
Blackwell said that six companies have submitted plans for the Coliseum area in response to the city's formal Request For Proposal.
City Council president Larry Reid said that the city has met with Major League Baseball's committee several times, and they've evaluated both sites.
The city of San Jose has been actively courting the A's. The Giants own territorial rights to the South Bay.
As managing partner Lew Wolff formally asked Major League Baseball to allow the team to move to a site near downtown San Jose. That request is currently being evaluated.
Previously, Wolff had pursued a proposal to build a ballpark-retail-residential complex in Fremont.
The A's traded veteran center fielder Rajai Davis to the Red Sox on Wednesday afternoon, clearing yet another veteran from their roster.
In return they receive 18-year-old outfielder Rafael Rincones, a Venezuela native currently playing in the Dominican Summer League.
The move doesn't come as a shock in the grand scheme of things. Davis, 36, is signed only through this season and didn't fit in the plans of Oakland's current youth movement. He did, however, have to clear waivers before this move could happen. And he joins Yonder Alonso as the second veteran the A's have shipped off after the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
The move opens up the possibility of Chad Pinder getting some playing time in center field against left-handers, as manager Bob Melvin has said he'd like to get Pinder some starts out there.
With recently promoted Boog Powell playing well in center, there's the chance he could draw some starts against lefties too, so it may not be a straight platoon. Pinder also sees playing time in right field, shortstop and second base.
Rajai Davis' second tenure with the A's is up.
Davis has been traded to the Red Sox for 18-year-old minor league outfielder Rafael Roncones.
The teams announced the trade shortly after the A's lost to the Orioles in Baltimore on Wednesday.
News of the pending deal was first reported by CSN New England.
Rincones has spent the 2017 season with the Red Sox affiliate in the Domincan Summer League. In 57 games, he's hitting .258 with 13 doubles, three triples, one homer and 19 RBI.
Boston are in need of an outfielder after placing Jackie Bradley Jr. on the disabled list with a thumb injury.
Davis signed a one-year, $6 million deal with the A's in the offseason. In 100 games this season, the 36-year-old is hitting .233/.294/.353 with 17 doubles, two triples, five home runs, 18 RBI and 26 stolen bases.
Boston will be Davis' seventh team. In addition to the A's, he has suited up for the Blue Jays, Giants, Pirates, Tigers and Indians.