Pennington out Tuesday, questionable for Friday

721964.jpg

Pennington out Tuesday, questionable for Friday

Tuesday's lineup: Meeting the media in the dugout Tuesday afternoon, A's manager Bob Melvin lighted on his lineup, saying he would be trying Yoenis Cespedes around the order a bit -- notable as Cespedes hit fourth Monday and was demoted to sixth a day after he went 1-for-2 with two walks and solid at bats. Melvin also said he is expecting Josh Donaldson to develop into that "bottom of the order power guy."

Here is the A's lineup for their Tuesday night contest against the Giants at O.Co Coliseum:

1. Weeks -- 2B
2. Crisp -- LF
3. Reddick -- RF
4. Suzuki -- C
5. Smith -- DH
6. Cespedes -- CF
7. Allen -- 1B
8. Donaldson -- 3B
9. Sogard -- SS
Ross -- P

Injury-front: Cliff Pennington is not in the starting lineup after leaving Monday's game with a tight groin. Melvin said before Tuesday's game it "was a bit of a concern yesterday, but his strength is better today."

Will he play tomorrow? "Depends..." Melvin deflected. It's possible that the next time Pennington takes the field, the games will count again.

Eric Sogard, who hit a home run after coming in for Pennington Monday, will get the start at short.

Joey Devine had an MRI Monday for elbow tendinitis in his business arm, and Melvin said the team is still awaiting the results.

He was on the field with his team for warm-ups Tuesday.
Not quite a platoon: The A's have been searching for their everyday third baseman since they lost Scott Sizemore for the season in the first team workout. It looks like they've found him, with a caveat. Josh Donaldson will see the "brunt of the time" at third, Melvin said. But the manager was quick to say that they "would mix Sogi in," referring to developing Swiss army knife Eric Sogard, who will back up multiple position for the A's.

One cut to go: The A's active roster stands at 26. They have to clear one space by Wednesday. I asked Melvin if he had any indication of who might be the odd-man-out and when that news might come. He simply smiled and shook his head.

Kila Ka'aihue, who hit .222 in 15 spring games, seemed to be a likely candidate. That was until Melvin said, "it looks like both will be on the Opening Day roster," talking about Brandon Allen and Ka'aihue.

The A's can't afford to lose another first baseman after Daric Barton was placed on the disabled list Tuesday, retroactive to March 24. His right shoulder strain will make him unavailable until the A's home series against the Royals on April 9.

Returning to the "O": Asked how his team was preparing for their first scheduled nine innings at O.Co Coliseum, Melvin answered: "No one is going to have a tough time getting up for the home opener." Against the cross-town rivals no less.

Mariners sign former A's lefty reliever to $11 million deal over two years

Mariners sign former A's lefty reliever to $11 million deal over two years

The Seattle Mariners have signed free agent lefty reliever Marc Rzepczynski to a two-year contract.

Rzepczynski's deal is fo $11 million over two years. Jerry Crasnick of ESPN first reported details of the contract

The Mariners also signed right-handed reliever Casey Fien on Saturday. Left-hander Dean Kiekhefer and righty Zach Lee were designated for assignment.

The 31-year-old Rzepczynski was a combined 1-0 with a 2.64 ERA in 70 games for Oakland and Washington this season. He then pitched three times in the NL playoffs for the Nationals.

Rzepczynski has made at least 70 appearances in each of the last three years. He's also pitched for Toronto, St. Louis, Cleveland and San Diego in an eight-season career.

The 33-year-old Fien was 1-1 with a 5.49 ERA in 39 games for Minnesota and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The 27-year-old Kiekhefer made his major league debut last season and pitched 26 times in relief for the Cardinals. Seattle claimed him off waivers from St. Louis last month.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Report: Beltran agrees to one-year deal with AL West team

Report: Beltran agrees to one-year deal with AL West team

Houston's offseason shopping spree got a little richer on Saturday.

More than 12 years after going to the Astros in a trade deadline deal, nine-time All-Star Carlos Beltran has reportedly agreed to return to Houston.

According to multiple national reports, the pact is a one-year, $16 million deal.

News of an agreement was first reported by ESPN. Terms were first reported by Fox Sports.

Beltran, who will be 40 years old in April, joins outfielder Josh Reddick and catcher Brian McCann as new Astros this offseason.

In 151 games between the Yankees and Rangers in 2016, Beltran hit .295/.337/.513 with 33 doubles, 29 home runs and 93 RBI.

During the 2004 season, the Royals traded a then-27-year-old Beltran to the Astros in a three-team deal that involved the A's. Oakland sent third baseman Mark Teahan and pitcher Mike Wood to Kansas City, while the A's received reliever Octavio Dotel from Houston. Kansas City also received catcher John Buck from the Astros.

Beltran's brief run with the Astros in 2004 was highlighted by one of the greatest postseason performances in MLB history. In 12 games, Beltran collected 20 hits and hit eight home runs.