Read the letter Wolff sent to Oakland city officials

Read the letter Wolff sent to Oakland city officials
July 3, 2014, 6:00 pm
Share This Post

Commissioner Bud Selig granted Lew Wolff permission to relocate the team if a deal on the A's lease was not agreed to. (USATSI)

On Wednesday night, A's owner Lew Wolff sent a letter to Oakland city officials stating that he had received permission to relocate the team if a resolution on the Coliseum lease issue was not reached by Thursday. has obtained a copy of the letter sent by Wolff to city officials:

All: The A's have endeavored to make it clear that after 14 months of detailed and comprehensive negotiation with our Landlord, the JPA, that we are absolutely not interested in further negotiation.

The JPA representative, Major League Baseball and our A's organization has reached agreement and approved the fully negotiated lease.

We believe we have an agreed lease that we were informed would be voted on by the JPA, and if passed, would be submitted to the City and County.

No other lease negotiation entity was ever noted to us or MLB for 14 months. To characterize not looking beyond the fully negotiated lease as a negative of our 14 months of discussion is unacceptable to us and MLB.

We now find out that the city has some rule that causes even a city JPA representative that wishes to vote their beliefs, that such a decision can be altered to translate a positive vote to a negative vote. At no time over 14 months was this use of some rule ever mentioned to us. We do not wish to be involved in any aspect of local city political maneuvering.

To suddenly try and involve us in a direction that was never once noted is absolutely unacceptable.

We have 130 employees in Oakland and some 800 part-time union employees during the baseball season. Had we been informed of the current maneuver, we would have , regretfully, sought MLB approval to locate either on an interim or permanent basis outside the city of Oakland.

I was informed tonight that Commissioner Selig, due to the possibility of not having the hearing and vote that we were purported to receive from the JPA, that we will immediately be allowed to seek a temporary or permanent location outside the city of Oakland.

Our desire is to remain in Oakland under the terms that we believed we have fully and mutually agreed. And that a fair and open vote at the JPA would be conducted, and then if we have to answer any concerns at the County or city, we would do so.

Thus, the attached document is not under consideration. Nor or any other parties possible drafts acceptable.

I am still hopeful that the hearing scheduled tomorrow will be held as we and MLB were clearly informed.


More Team Talk