Chipper Jones calls out Melky Cabrera for taunting

820539.jpg

Chipper Jones calls out Melky Cabrera for taunting

BOX SCORE

ATLANTA Melky Cabrera has a thriving, costumed fan base atAT&T Park. But they arent so fond of him at Turner Field.

And that goes for more than just Braves fans.

Thats Melky, and thats why hes not here anymore, saidBraves third baseman Chipper Jones, asked about Cabreras body language atseveral junctures in the Giants 9-4, 11-inning victory Wednesday night.

He got a little happy when I think (Gregor) Blanco hit the home run.That wont be forgotten.

Cabrera, who had been intentionally walked in the 11thinning, appeared to make a motion with his hands near his groin region afterBlancos three-run homer broke the game open.

Earlier in the game, Cabrera taunted fans in the left fieldseats when he pretended to throw baseballs to them. He also made a hand gesturein the sixth inning when Jason Heyward didnt try to tag from second base on afly ball to deep left field.

Cabrera has shown flair at times in the field as a Giant, but nothing until now that could be construed as showing up an opponent. He hasnt spoken much publicly as a Giant and hasconducted himself as a driven, model citizen.

But its known he quarreled withthen-Braves manager Bobby Cox following a trade with the New York Yankees thatsent him to Atlanta in 2010. Cabrera was a huge flop with the Braves, he wasntin good shape and Atlanta non-tendered him after the season. He made the finalout of Coxs managerial career when the Giants beat the Braves to clinch the NLDivision Series that year.

The crowd at Turner Field booed loudly in each of Cabrerasplate appearances after his solo home run tied the game in the sixth inning.Cabrera later added an RBI single in the 10th that proved vital.

It was his 42nd multi-hit game of the season and his second in as many nights at Turner Field. Cabrera is hitting .354 andleads the majors with 124 hits.

Hes on a pace to finish with 220 hits. Thats a number onlyfour major leaguers Ichiro Suzuki, Michael Young, Juan Pierre and DarinErstad have reached since 2000.

Santiago Casilla says he never received offer from Giants

Santiago Casilla says he never received offer from Giants

SAN FRANCISCO — Over the final month of his time with the Giants, it became clear that Santiago Casilla and the team would part ways. On Friday, Casilla confirmed that he never had the opportunity to return. 

On a conference call to announce a two-year deal with the Oakland A’s, Casilla said he “would have been happy to return to the Giants, but I never got an offer from them. I understood.”

Casilla said he had several opportunities to go elsewhere and close, mentioning the Milwaukee Brewers as one interested team. Casilla signed a two-year, $11 million deal with the A’s, who likely won’t need him to pitch in the ninth. The Brewers went on to bring in Neftali Feliz for one year and $5.35 million; he is expected to close. 

“I preferred to return to the Athletics because that’s where my career started,” Casilla said through interpreter Manolo Hernández Douen. “And I’m very excited.”

Casilla spent the first six years of his career with the A’s before crossing the bridge and becoming a key figure in three title runs. In seven seasons in San Francisco, he posted a 2.42 ERA and saved 123 games. Casilla had a 0.92 ERA in the postseason, but he was stripped of a prominent role in the weeks leading up to the 2016 playoffs. 

Casilla, 36, blew nine saves before being pulled from the ninth inning. He appeared just three times in the final 14 regular season games and just once in the playoffs. He did not take the mound in Game 4 of the NLDS, watching as five other relievers teamed up to give back a three-run lead. 

That moment stung Casilla, and it affected Bruce Bochy, too. The Giants struck quickly in December to bring Mark Melancon in as their new closer, but at the Winter Meetings, Bochy said he would welcome Casilla back in a setup role. 

“He’s a great team player (and) teammate,” Bochy said. “(I) certainly wouldn’t rule it out because he still has great stuff. And he had some hiccups there in that closing role, but I would take him anytime.”

As it turned out, that opportunity was never there for Casilla. The Giants didn’t make another move after the big deal with Melancon, and they’ll rely on younger arms to record most of the outs in the seventh and eighth. Casilla said he’s not bitter about the way it all ended. 

“I have left that in the past,” he said. “It’s a new year, it’s a new year. I have left this in the past.” 

Authorities: Two Dodgers security guards arrested, accused of theft

la-dodgers-hat.jpg

Authorities: Two Dodgers security guards arrested, accused of theft

LOS ANGELES -- Prosecutors say two security guards at Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium have been arrested and are accused of stealing equipment, baseballs and jerseys from the major league team to sell online.

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office says Juan DeDios Prada and Fernando Sierra pleaded not guilty to burglary and other charges Thursday.

Prosecutors say the two security guards conspired with a third man, Jesse Luis Dagnesses, to steal baseball uniforms and other team merchandise to sell online.

They say Prada and Sierra stole more than $3,400 from a locked equipment room at the stadium between January 2013 and February 2016.

Authorities say Dagnesses is accused of receiving $950 in stolen baseballs and jerseys.

It wasn't immediately clear if the men had attorneys who could comment on the allegations.