Emotional World Series MVP Renteria throws out first pitch

908629.jpg

Emotional World Series MVP Renteria throws out first pitch

SAN FRANCISCO -- Crazy game, this baseball.

Two years ago, Edgar Renteria became the first World Series MVP in San Francisco Giants history. Last year, he hit a walk-off single for the Cincinnati Reds that began the Giants' steady descent in the standings.

This year, with the Giants and Reds meeting in an NL Division Series, Renteria was a surprise guest to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at AT&T Park.

"I'm very touched," Renteria told pool reporter Janie McCauley, as he fought back tears from his field level seat. "Its great, great. It was so nice for me when they told me. The fans, they remember and appreciate everything. Im never going to forget this time. They still remember what we did in 2010. Its unbelievable. Im so happy theyre playing in the playoffs again."

Renteria's passionate speech in the cramped batting cage beneath the Wrigley Field bleachers is remembered as one of the emotional touchstones in the Giants' unexpected romp to the franchise's first world championship in 52 seasons since moving from New York's Polo Grounds.

Renteria became perhaps the most surprising World Series MVP in history, as the aging shortstop put aside a regular season that included three trips to the disabled list, worked his way into the starting lineup because of Pablo Sandoval's defensive struggles and hit the three-run home run off Cliff Lee in Game 5 that sent the Giants to a clinching victory.

He spoke with former teammates in a clubhouse visit prior to Game 2.

"I saw everybody in the clubhouse," Renteria said. "You know, you go back and the feeling doesnt go away. Its still here. It was very exciting to play in the World Series. Always. Always.

I like the city. A lot of memories are coming back."

Renteria, who traveled from Miami, said he hadn't stepped foot in AT&T Park since he played a series here for the Reds last season and received his ring in an emotional ceremony on the field.

Santiago Casilla says he never received offer from Giants

Santiago Casilla says he never received offer from Giants

SAN FRANCISCO — Over the final month of his time with the Giants, it became clear that Santiago Casilla and the team would part ways. On Friday, Casilla confirmed that he never had the opportunity to return. 

On a conference call to announce a two-year deal with the Oakland A’s, Casilla said he “would have been happy to return to the Giants, but I never got an offer from them. I understood.”

Casilla said he had several opportunities to go elsewhere and close, mentioning the Milwaukee Brewers as one interested team. Casilla signed a two-year, $11 million deal with the A’s, who likely won’t need him to pitch in the ninth. The Brewers went on to bring in Neftali Feliz for one year and $5.35 million; he is expected to close. 

“I preferred to return to the Athletics because that’s where my career started,” Casilla said through interpreter Manolo Hernández Douen. “And I’m very excited.”

Casilla spent the first six years of his career with the A’s before crossing the bridge and becoming a key figure in three title runs. In seven seasons in San Francisco, he posted a 2.42 ERA and saved 123 games. Casilla had a 0.92 ERA in the postseason, but he was stripped of a prominent role in the weeks leading up to the 2016 playoffs. 

Casilla, 36, blew nine saves before being pulled from the ninth inning. He appeared just three times in the final 14 regular season games and just once in the playoffs. He did not take the mound in Game 4 of the NLDS, watching as five other relievers teamed up to give back a three-run lead. 

That moment stung Casilla, and it affected Bruce Bochy, too. The Giants struck quickly in December to bring Mark Melancon in as their new closer, but at the Winter Meetings, Bochy said he would welcome Casilla back in a setup role. 

“He’s a great team player (and) teammate,” Bochy said. “(I) certainly wouldn’t rule it out because he still has great stuff. And he had some hiccups there in that closing role, but I would take him anytime.”

As it turned out, that opportunity was never there for Casilla. The Giants didn’t make another move after the big deal with Melancon, and they’ll rely on younger arms to record most of the outs in the seventh and eighth. Casilla said he’s not bitter about the way it all ended. 

“I have left that in the past,” he said. “It’s a new year, it’s a new year. I have left this in the past.” 

Authorities: Two Dodgers security guards arrested, accused of theft

la-dodgers-hat.jpg

Authorities: Two Dodgers security guards arrested, accused of theft

LOS ANGELES -- Prosecutors say two security guards at Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium have been arrested and are accused of stealing equipment, baseballs and jerseys from the major league team to sell online.

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office says Juan DeDios Prada and Fernando Sierra pleaded not guilty to burglary and other charges Thursday.

Prosecutors say the two security guards conspired with a third man, Jesse Luis Dagnesses, to steal baseball uniforms and other team merchandise to sell online.

They say Prada and Sierra stole more than $3,400 from a locked equipment room at the stadium between January 2013 and February 2016.

Authorities say Dagnesses is accused of receiving $950 in stolen baseballs and jerseys.

It wasn't immediately clear if the men had attorneys who could comment on the allegations.