DENVER -- The Giants and As will have two fewer chances to battle for Bay Area supremacy in 2013, as Major League Baseball clubs released their tentative schedules on Wednesday. Instead of the traditional six-game season series, the Giants and As will play four times from May 27-30, with the first two games at AT&T Park and the next two at the Oakland Coliseum.Its one of many adjustments to accommodate for the transfer of the Houston Astros to the AL West, which leaves 15 teams in both leagues necessitating at least one interleague game every day of the regular season.The Giants will play 20 interleague games, five more than this season. Theyll also play 19 games against each of their NL West rivals, where the season series had been 18 games in previous years. (Where did those extra games come from? Well, theyre not playing the Astros anymore.)Aside from four games with the As, interleague play features AL East clubs. The Giants will play a home-and-road series with the Toronto Blue Jays (May 14-45 at Rogers Centre; June 4-5 at AT&T Park), home series with the Baltimore Orioles (Aug. 9-11) and Boston Red Sox (Aug. 19-21) and road series at Tampa Bay (Aug. 2-4) and the New York Yankees (Sept. 20-22.)The most unique portion of the schedule: The Giants first ever visit to new Yankee Stadium will come immediately after a series with the Mets at Citi Field meaning the Giants will spend a solid week in the Big Apple in late September.The Giants open the season on the road at Dodger Stadium with a three-game seires April 2-4 before returning to San Francisco for a six-game homestand with the St. Louis Cardinals and Colorado Rockies. The home opener is scheduled for April 5 against the Cards.The Giants and As have met six times in every season since 1999; the clubs met just four times in 1997 and 98, the first two years of interleague play.The Giants took two of three in both series with the As this season but trail the all-time series 45-47.
SAN FRANCISCO — Over the final month of his time with the Giants, it became clear that Santiago Casilla and the team would part ways. On Friday, Casilla confirmed that he never had the opportunity to return.
On a conference call to announce a two-year deal with the Oakland A’s, Casilla said he “would have been happy to return to the Giants, but I never got an offer from them. I understood.”
Casilla said he had several opportunities to go elsewhere and close, mentioning the Milwaukee Brewers as one interested team. Casilla signed a two-year, $11 million deal with the A’s, who likely won’t need him to pitch in the ninth. The Brewers went on to bring in Neftali Feliz for one year and $5.35 million; he is expected to close.
“I preferred to return to the Athletics because that’s where my career started,” Casilla said through interpreter Manolo Hernández Douen. “And I’m very excited.”
Casilla spent the first six years of his career with the A’s before crossing the bridge and becoming a key figure in three title runs. In seven seasons in San Francisco, he posted a 2.42 ERA and saved 123 games. Casilla had a 0.92 ERA in the postseason, but he was stripped of a prominent role in the weeks leading up to the 2016 playoffs.
Casilla, 36, blew nine saves before being pulled from the ninth inning. He appeared just three times in the final 14 regular season games and just once in the playoffs. He did not take the mound in Game 4 of the NLDS, watching as five other relievers teamed up to give back a three-run lead.
That moment stung Casilla, and it affected Bruce Bochy, too. The Giants struck quickly in December to bring Mark Melancon in as their new closer, but at the Winter Meetings, Bochy said he would welcome Casilla back in a setup role.
“He’s a great team player (and) teammate,” Bochy said. “(I) certainly wouldn’t rule it out because he still has great stuff. And he had some hiccups there in that closing role, but I would take him anytime.”
As it turned out, that opportunity was never there for Casilla. The Giants didn’t make another move after the big deal with Melancon, and they’ll rely on younger arms to record most of the outs in the seventh and eighth. Casilla said he’s not bitter about the way it all ended.
“I have left that in the past,” he said. “It’s a new year, it’s a new year. I have left this in the past.”
LOS ANGELES -- Prosecutors say two security guards at Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium have been arrested and are accused of stealing equipment, baseballs and jerseys from the major league team to sell online.
The Los Angeles County district attorney's office says Juan DeDios Prada and Fernando Sierra pleaded not guilty to burglary and other charges Thursday.
Prosecutors say the two security guards conspired with a third man, Jesse Luis Dagnesses, to steal baseball uniforms and other team merchandise to sell online.
They say Prada and Sierra stole more than $3,400 from a locked equipment room at the stadium between January 2013 and February 2016.
Authorities say Dagnesses is accused of receiving $950 in stolen baseballs and jerseys.
It wasn't immediately clear if the men had attorneys who could comment on the allegations.