Giants acquire Scutaro from Rockies

829019.jpg

Giants acquire Scutaro from Rockies

SAN FRANCISCO The Giants added infield depth and a seasoned right-handed contact man for their bench, acquiring Marco Scutaro from the Colorado Rockies in exchange for Triple-A second baseman Charlie Culberson.

The Rockies are sending cash to offset at least a portion of the roughly 2.5 million owed to Scutaro, who will be a free agent after this season.

The Giants were light on right-handed hitters who have experience off the bench; theyre getting an old hand in Scutaro, 36, who was hitting .271 with a .324 on-base percentage along with four home runs in 411 plate appearances.

Its worth pointing out that Scutaro was hitting just .238 with a weak .292 slugging percentage away from Coors this year.

I understand its a business, Scutaro told the Denver Post. Now I have an opportunity for a team that has a chance to make the playoffs."

Giants manager Bruce Bochys club had little depth behind second baseman Ryan Theriot aside from light-hitting Emmanuel Burriss, whose place on the roster is far from safe in the wake of this trade.

Scutaro is best known in the Bay Area for being the As starting shortstop for most of his tenure with the club from 2004-07. Hes also played for the Mets, Blue Jays and Red Sox.

Culberson, 23, made his major league debut earlier this season and was sent back after hitting .136 in six games. He was hitting .236 with 10 home runs and 53 RBIs in 90 games for Triple-A Fresno. A Rockies scout told me that he likes Culberson and wrote him up as a solid big league contributor.

Culberson was a sandwich-round pick (51st overall) in the 2007 draft.

The Scutaro trade is probably what held up the Giants from activating Aubrey Huff from the disabled list prior to Fridays game. The club could be poised to make several roster moves in the coming hours.

Keep checking CSNBayArea.com for the latest.

Santiago Casilla says he never received offer from Giants

Santiago Casilla says he never received offer from Giants

SAN FRANCISCO — Over the final month of his time with the Giants, it became clear that Santiago Casilla and the team would part ways. On Friday, Casilla confirmed that he never had the opportunity to return. 

On a conference call to announce a two-year deal with the Oakland A’s, Casilla said he “would have been happy to return to the Giants, but I never got an offer from them. I understood.”

Casilla said he had several opportunities to go elsewhere and close, mentioning the Milwaukee Brewers as one interested team. Casilla signed a two-year, $11 million deal with the A’s, who likely won’t need him to pitch in the ninth. The Brewers went on to bring in Neftali Feliz for one year and $5.35 million; he is expected to close. 

“I preferred to return to the Athletics because that’s where my career started,” Casilla said through interpreter Manolo Hernández Douen. “And I’m very excited.”

Casilla spent the first six years of his career with the A’s before crossing the bridge and becoming a key figure in three title runs. In seven seasons in San Francisco, he posted a 2.42 ERA and saved 123 games. Casilla had a 0.92 ERA in the postseason, but he was stripped of a prominent role in the weeks leading up to the 2016 playoffs. 

Casilla, 36, blew nine saves before being pulled from the ninth inning. He appeared just three times in the final 14 regular season games and just once in the playoffs. He did not take the mound in Game 4 of the NLDS, watching as five other relievers teamed up to give back a three-run lead. 

That moment stung Casilla, and it affected Bruce Bochy, too. The Giants struck quickly in December to bring Mark Melancon in as their new closer, but at the Winter Meetings, Bochy said he would welcome Casilla back in a setup role. 

“He’s a great team player (and) teammate,” Bochy said. “(I) certainly wouldn’t rule it out because he still has great stuff. And he had some hiccups there in that closing role, but I would take him anytime.”

As it turned out, that opportunity was never there for Casilla. The Giants didn’t make another move after the big deal with Melancon, and they’ll rely on younger arms to record most of the outs in the seventh and eighth. Casilla said he’s not bitter about the way it all ended. 

“I have left that in the past,” he said. “It’s a new year, it’s a new year. I have left this in the past.” 

Authorities: Two Dodgers security guards arrested, accused of theft

la-dodgers-hat.jpg

Authorities: Two Dodgers security guards arrested, accused of theft

LOS ANGELES -- Prosecutors say two security guards at Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium have been arrested and are accused of stealing equipment, baseballs and jerseys from the major league team to sell online.

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office says Juan DeDios Prada and Fernando Sierra pleaded not guilty to burglary and other charges Thursday.

Prosecutors say the two security guards conspired with a third man, Jesse Luis Dagnesses, to steal baseball uniforms and other team merchandise to sell online.

They say Prada and Sierra stole more than $3,400 from a locked equipment room at the stadium between January 2013 and February 2016.

Authorities say Dagnesses is accused of receiving $950 in stolen baseballs and jerseys.

It wasn't immediately clear if the men had attorneys who could comment on the allegations.