The trade deadline has passed. The trade window opens with the beginning of the 2013 league year on March 12.
If any quarterback-needy teams seek an offseason trade with the 49ers for Alex Smith, it was noted Tuesday that the 49ers would most likely look to add draft picks for 2014.
The reason? The 49ers already have an expected 14 draft picks for 2013. And with not a whole lot of roster turnover expected for next season, there's little chance more than a handful of rookies can earn spots on the team.
With so many scheduled draft picks, it gives the 49ers the opportunity to package picks to trade up for a player or two. The 49ers figure to receive three compensatory selections -- based on net free-agent losses. Those are the only draft picks that cannot be traded.
49ers 2013 picks
1. First round: Own pick
2. Second round: Own pick
3. Third round: Own pick
4. Third round: From Carolina in trade-back during 2012 draft
5. Third round: Likely compensatory selection
6. Fourth round: Own pick
7. Fifth round: Own pick
8. Fifth round: From Indianapolis in trade-back during 2012 draft
9. Sixth round: Own pick
10. Sixth round: From Miami in trade-back during 2012 draft
11. Seventh round: Own pick
12. Seventh round: From Cincinnati for Taylor Mays
13. Seventh round: Likely compensatory selection
14. Seventh round: Likely compensatory selection