The 49ers traded up with Green Bay again to select defensive end/outside linebacker Corey Lemonier of Auburn.
The 49ers selected Lemonier with the No. 88 overall pick. They traded their pick at No. 93, as well as a seventh-round selection they picked up in an earlier trade with the Tennessee Titans at No. 216 overall.
Position: Defensive end/outside linebacker
Height/weight: 6 foot 3 3/8, 255 pounds
College career: Lemonier started 26 of the 39 games in which he appeared as a weakside defensive end. He recorded 100 tackles (58 solos) with 17 quarterback sacks, two fumble recoveries, seven forced fumbles. He was a second-team All-SEC selection.
Scouting report: Lemonier ran the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds. He is known for his quick get-off at the snap of the ball. He shows good effort and has the athleticism to turn and run with tight ends in coverage. He is an unrefined pass rusher who left school after his junior season.
How he fits: Lemonier figures to back up Ahmad Brooks and Aldon Smith at outside linebacker. On nickel downs, he can rush the passer as a defensive end. He fits a role similar to that of second-round draft pick Tank Carradine, but he's more adept at dropping into coverage. His addition will make it difficult on 2012 draft picks Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson to earn roster spots.
In his words: "It's huge, especially for me trying to learn the linebacker position. It's something I need to learn and I'm pretty raw at that. I think that's a good thing because I have no bad habits or techniques. I can grow."
--Corey Lemonier talking at the NFL scouting combine about learning the technique to transition to outside linebacker.
49ERS 2013 DRAFT PICKS
1. First round (No. 18 overall): Safety Eric Reid, LSU
2. Second round (No. 40 overall): Defensive end Cornellius "Tank" Carradine, Florida State
3. Second round (No. 55 overall): Tight end Vance McDonald, Rice
4. Third round (No. 88 overall): Defensive end/outside linebacker Corey Lemonier, Auburn
5. Fourth round (No. 128 overall): Own pick
6. Fourth round (No. 131 overall): Compensatory
7. Fifth round (No. 157 overall): From Indianapolis
8. Sixth round (No. 180 overall): From Miami
9. Seventh round (No. 237 overall): Own pick
10. Seventh round (No. 246 overall): Compensatory
11. Seventh round (No. 252 overall): Compensatory
NOTE: Compensatory picks cannot be traded.