Failed claims prove 49ers are trying to improve

Failed claims prove 49ers are trying to improve

Sept. 7, 2011MAIOCCO ARCHIVE
49ERS PAGE 49ERS VIDEO
Follow @MaioccoCSN
Matt MaioccoCSNBayArea.com
Coach Jim Harbaugh was addressing a question Wednesday about the 49ers' potential interest in free-agent quarterback David Garrard, but he could have been answering a question about anyone who becomes available."We're interested in one thing, that's what makes our football team better," Harbaugh said. "That's a blanket statement on how we approach any move that can help our football team or better our football team."And over the past several days, the 49ers proved they are continuing to upgrade their roster. There's no word about Garrard."Things are happening," agent Al Irby told CSNBayArea.com late Wednesday. "I just can't say what or with whom."
The 49ers were active in the first four days after teams were required to cut down to 53 players. The 49ers claimed rookie quarterback Scott Tolzien off waivers from the San Diego Chargers. And they signed inside linebacker Tavares Gooden, a day after the Baltimore Ravens released him.The 49ers also tried unsuccessfully to add two players off waivers from the New England Patriots. But because waiver claims are still awarded based on the draft order from 2010 win-loss records, the 49ers lost their bids to Buffalo and Carolina, respectively.The 49ers wanted rookie tight end Lee Smith, a 269-pound blocking specialist. The 49ers kept only two tight ends on their roster after Nate Byham was lost for the season due to a training camp knee injury. The Bills were awarded Smith's rights.The 49ers also went after cornerback Darius Butler, a second-round draft pick in 2009 from Connecticut. Four teams placed claims for Butler. The Panthers, who had the worst record in the league last season, got him after the claims were announced on Wednesday.
What this proves is that the 49ers have already identified players they believe could improve the team. And they probably are not finished making roster moves.

Report: Seahawks could lose second-round pick in 2017 draft

Report: Seahawks could lose second-round pick in 2017 draft

The Seahawks might be in some trouble.

Seattle may lose its second-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft after failing to disclose Richard Sherman's knee injury, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The league is reportedly mulling a penalty after Pete Carroll revealed on Monday that Sherman dealt with an MCL injury during the season.

Back in September, the NFL took away the Seahawks' fifth-round pick, fined the team $400,000 and fined Pete Carroll $200,000 for violating work rules that prohibit excessive contact in all offseason workouts.

The Seahawks will also forefit their first week of 2017 OTAs.
 

49ers sign free-agent wide receiver

49ers sign free-agent wide receiver

The 49ers, a team with no head coach and no general manager, on Thursday added their third player in the past week to a reserve/future contract.

The 49ers signed wide receiver Rashad Ross, a product of Vallejo High School. Ross has appeared in 20 NFL games the past three seasons with Chicago and Washington. In 2015, Ross caught eight passes for 184 yards and a touchdown in 13 games with Washington.

Ross (6 foot, 180 pounds) played collegiately at Arizona State via Butte College in Oroville. Ross caught 37 passes for 610 yards and six touchdowns in 2012 with the Sun Devils.

Washington released Ross on Dec. 22. In addition to seeing game against with Chicago and Washington, he has also been on the practice squads of Tennessee and Kansas City.

The 49ers also signed Nick Rose, a kicker who spent last offseason with the Atlanta Falcons, to a reserve/future contract on Wednesday. Rose made 27 of his 38 field-goal attempts duringhis four-year career at Texas.

Last week, the 49ers signed left-footed punter Brock Miller (Southern Utah) to a reserve/future contract. A reserve/future contract takes effect at the beginning of the new league year on March 9.

The 49ers’ personnel department remains intact after the firing of general manager Trent Baalke. Assistant general manager Tom Gamble and director of pro personnel Mike Williams are most likely responsible for the signings.

CEO Jed York said on Jan. 2 that the new head coach and general manager will have full power to assemble their staffs.