Where will 'Big Rich' play in 2013?

Where will 'Big Rich' play in 2013?
May 8, 2013, 2:45 pm
Share This Post

Richard Seymour played in a career-low eight games last year with the Raiders and a league source said he wasn't in the building the last week of the season. (AP)

Richard Seymour is still on the market, and the seven-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman recently told NFL.com he "definitely" wants to play in 2013.

The rebuilding Raiders need not only a veteran presence in their locker room but a proven pass rusher and run stuffer in the trenches.

Sounds like a perfect fit, no? Well, um…sorry, but no.

Seymour, 33, simply does not fit Oakland's new line of thinking. At least, not on cranky knees and a tender hamstring and at a price tag Seymour is thought to want as one last big payday. Plus, it is assumed -- a dangerous game, I know, to assume -- Seymour wants to play for a contender in the twilight of a career that probably needs another playoff appearance or two to warrant serious consideration for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The Raiders, at least for the foreseeable future, do not afford such an outlook for such a player. The same logic applies to the likes of defensive back Charles Woodson.

There's a reason the Raiders voided Seymour's contract and allowed him to walk as an unrestricted free agent and are willing to eat $13.714 million in salary cap space -- the most cap space on the roster in 2013 -- after Seymour missed the final eight games of the 2012 season with a hamstring injury and contributed just 15 tackles and three sacks. Yes, Seymour ruled the Raiders locker room the past few years, especially after riding the rookie bus to Napa for training camp in 2010. And he gave the Raiders 18 1/2 sacks in 53 games and a pair of Pro Bowl selections over four seasons, in which Oakland went 25-39.

His most memorable moments in Silver and Black? How about his pulling Ryan Clady's hair, or dropping Ben Roethlisberger with a swift open-palm strike to the facemask?

But Seymour was barely visible down the stretch -- his eight games played were a career low -- and, a league source said, Seymour was not in the building the last week of the season last year, having already gone home to Georgia. He was placed on Injured Reserve on Dec. 26 and made more than $30 million from Oakland the last two years.

The Raiders, while taking a huge cap hit, actually saved some $30 million in base salary over the next two years.

"I've had a couple of text conversations with Richard," NFL.com's Steve Wyche reported, "and he definitely wants to play."

In early December, Seymour told reporters in Alameda he could still play at an "elite" level.

Seymour, like any grizzled vet, would prefer to miss out on those mind-numbing offseason camps and activities, and put in the minimum amount of time at training camp. The name Brett Favre ring a bell?

So yeah, if Seymour wants to play, he'll find a home. The question, then, is price, and at how relatively little for which he'd be willing to play.

Atlanta would seem to make sense, since it's close to his home and the Falcons, who were one play away from the Super Bowl, could use his skill set. And New England would be a storybook ending for him.

Oakland, which acquired him for a first-round draft pick in 2009 in one of those Al Davis deals that did not pan out? Sorry, can't see it. Really, the only good Raiders fans fans could get out of Seymour now is for him to finally admit that Tom Brady fumbled way back in 2002, when Seymour was a wide-eyed rookie playing in the Tuck Rule Game. Then again…