Bobby V. throws Big Papi under the bus

516254.jpg

Bobby V. throws Big Papi under the bus

From Comcast SportsNetBOSTON (AP) -- Former Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine says David Ortiz spent more time than expected on the disabled list before playing one game and then returning to it after the team made a major trade that signaled it would not compete for a postseason berth.Valentine made his remarks Tuesday in an interview with NBC's Bob Costas airing several hours after John Farrell was introduced as Boston's new manager.Ortiz was working out at Fenway Park on Tuesday and spoke to Farrell amid reports that he and the team were closing in on a two-year deal to keep the potential free agent in Boston.The designated hitter missed 71 of the last 72 games with a strained right Achilles and hit .318 with 23 homers and 60 RBIs. He had played in 89 of the first 90 games. His other game was on Aug. 24, one day before the Red Sox traded Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to the Los Angeles Dodgers."David Ortiz came back after spending about six weeks on the disabled list and we thought it was only going to be a week," Valentine said in an interview on Costas Tonight on NBC Sports Network. "He got two hits the first two times up, drove in a couple runs; we were off to the races. Then he realized that this trade meant that we're not going to run this race and we're not even going to finish the race properly and he decided not to play anymore. I think at that time it was all downhill from there."The Red Sox beat the Kansas City Royals 4-3 on Aug. 24 to improve to 60-66. After the trade, they were 9-27 and finished at 69-93, their worst record since 1965. They came in last in the AL East, four games behind the Toronto Blue Jays.Valentine was fired the day after Boston ended the season with an eight-game losing streak.ESPN reported on Tuesday that the Red Sox are closing in on a two-year deal with Ortiz and hope to finalize it this week, according to a baseball source. The report said the compensation has not been determined and that Ortiz is believed to be seeking 25 million.He earned 14.575 million this season in a one-year deal.General manager Ben Cherington said Tuesday he's talked several times with the designated hitter's agent, Fernando Cuza."We've had good dialogue since the season ended," he said. "The goal remains the same. We want him back in a Red Sox uniform, and we'll continue to work toward that end."

Sharks begin second day of 2017 draft by selecting a defenseman

Sharks begin second day of 2017 draft by selecting a defenseman

CHICAGO – The Sharks used their first pick on the second day of the draft to select defenseman Mario Ferraro at 49th overall.

The Sharks acquired the second round pick from New Jersey earlier in the week as part of the trade for Mirco Mueller.

Ferraro, a five-foot-11, 185-pound Toronto native, will attend the University of Massachusetts (Amherst) in the fall. The 18-year-old posted 41 points (8g, 33a) in 60 games for Des Moines of the USHL last season.

“I describe myself as an offensive defenseman that takes pride in the d-zone,” Ferraro said. “Obviously, I like to get involved offensively. I think I’m a good skater, and I transition the puck up the ice quick. I also like to be physical in the d-zone and use my body.”

Ferraro said he needs to work on "my shot, especially. Getting pucks through to the net to create scoring chances, and I also want to work on when and when not to get up in the play, and reading the play better.”

Ferraro, the 78th-ranked North American skater according to NHL Central Scouting and a left-handed shot, had about 20 friends and family in attendance at the draft.

“I’m very honored to be wearing this jersey right now. It was amazing. It’s been an amazing day so far.”

The Sharks chose center Josh Norris with their first round pick (19th overall) on Friday.

A's call up top prospect Franklin Barreto, place Pinder on DL

A's call up top prospect Franklin Barreto, place Pinder on DL

The A's called up top prospect Franklin Barreto on Saturday morning, giving the middle infielder his first major league call-up with Chad Pinder hitting the 10-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. 

In the span of just over a week, the A's have promoted both of their highest rated position player prospects in Barreto and third baseman Matt Chapman, though Chapman himself is on the DL with a knee infection. 

Barreto, 21, is hitting .281 with eight home runs and 32 RBI for Triple-A Nashville. He ascended to the top of Oakland's prospect rankings shortly after being acquired from Toronto in the Josh Donaldson trade of November 2014. His bat is the strength of his game, and the A's believe he has the potential to be an excellent hitter near the top of the batting order. 

Pinder injured his hamstring in the A's 3-0 win over the White Sox on Friday night.