Danica headlines 100th anniversary of Indy 500

479667.jpg

Danica headlines 100th anniversary of Indy 500

May 28, 2011
INDYCAR PAGE DRIVER PROFILES
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) When Alex Tagliani leads the 33-car field into the first turn of the Indianapolis 500, he'll be tugging along a century's worth of triumphs, thrills and tragedy.But in this, the 100th anniversary of America's most famous race, the focus is clearly on the future.RELATED: From wheelchair, Schmidt inspires others at Indy
The IndyCar series is showing signs of emerging from 15 years of irrelevance, a period of darkness that began with an open-wheel war between two feuding series and ended with a peace agreement hardly anyone noticed. The sport that produced such giants as A.J. Foyt, Mario Andretti and Rick Mears found itself relegated to niche status. Heck, there were even empty seats at the Brickyard, a sight no one could have envisioned a couple of decades ago."There was almost a lost generation," Andretti moaned. "There were those 15 years where things were precarious, at best."Now, there's a semblance of hope. Two new manufacturers will enter the series in 2012, powering a futuristic new machine. The field for this year's 500 is undoubtedly deeper and more talented than it has been since the glory days. Sponsorships are up, attendance is improving and an energetic new leader seems willing to try anything that might bring more attention to the sport.In a sense, Sunday's race can be seen as a jumping-off point to a new era (and, no, we're not talking about the giant orange ramp set up on the infield for a Hot Wheels promotional stunt before the green flag waves)."I'm proud of the series for what we've done, for all the hard work we've put in," said Danica Patrick, who has just one win in her career but remains the only driver widely known outside of IndyCar circles.Of course, the fact that everyone is wondering whether Patrick will bolt to a more profitable gig in NASCAR next year shows the checkered flag remains in the distance. No matter what happens, there's still plenty of work to be done.A third of the field is composed of part-time drivers, most of whom are doing Indy-only deals and hope it leads to something biggerLook at Dan Wheldon, a former race winner who should be in the prime of his career. He was squeezed out of his last job, and this is the only sure thing on his schedule in 2011. Look at Townsend Bell, who has finished as high as fifth at Indy and will start from the inside of the second row. Asked what's on his schedule for the rest of the year, he replied, "Well, there's Christmas. And New Year's, I guess."Good line, but not good for IndyCar."I stopped many years ago trying to rationalize or problem-solve the racing industry," Bell said. "I'm resigned to the fact that if I just go out and win the damn race, everything else will probably take care of itself."Randy Bernard, who was brought in from the Professional Bull Riders series to bring some pizazz to IndyCar, has certainly shown he's willing to shake thing up. One of his changes - double-file restarts, which are used in NASCAR - has drawn the ire of the drivers. They see them as impractical with the high-speed, open-wheel machines, which can't go banging into each other like the good ol' boys.Tagliani, the surprising pole-winner, was one of the most outspoken critics. He fears that Sunday's race could turn into a gruesome crashfest. He even went so far as to raise the possibility of debris flying into the stands and injuring someone in the massive crowd of more than 200,000."I don't want to be responsible for that," the Canadian said. "If our wheels touch while we're racing side-by-side, all of a sudden cars are going to be flipping."IndyCar officials have promised extra sweeping in the corners during caution periods to provide a wider racing groove, but they appear unwilling to back off from the double-file concept. If nothing else, it has given people something to talk about, which might have been the main purpose all along."It's brought a lot of new controversy and attention to the sport, in a good and positive way," Bernard said.There are other positive signs:- Tagliani was part-owner of a financially challenged team that appeared on the verge of folding before the season. Then it was bought by Sam Schmidt, a former racer who became a car owner after a 2000 crash left him a quadriplegic. The joyful celebration between Tags and his wheelchair-bound boss when the No. 77 car stunningly captured the pole will remain one of the most heart-warming memories of this May, no matter who wins the race.- Helio Castroneves will make another attempt at his record-tying fourth win. He struggled in qualifying, managing only the 16th-best speed, but look for him to make a quick charge through the field. He'll likely be joined by others starting farther back than expected, such as defending champ Dario Franchitti (ninth) and Ryan Briscoe (26th). "I think those guys will be up front pretty quickly," said Will Power, another of the favorites.- Patrick could be making her final start at the 500 if, as most people expect, she moves full time to stock cars in 2012. While coy about her future, she denied a report that a tentative NASCAR deal was already in place and insisted she has not made a final decision."We're very far from the finish line on any of that," she said.Patrick has always run strong at Indy, most notably her fourth-place finish as a rookie in 2005, but don't look for any DanicaMania this year. Her Andretti Autosport team has struggled all month to get up to speed. In fact, two of the team's four regulars didn't even qualify on bump day, leading to a deal that put Ryan Hunter-Reay in a car Bruno Junqueira actually qualified for rival A.J. Foyt Racing.Hunter-Reay, it turns out, might have a better chance in the No. 41 car than he would've had slipping into the field in an underpowered Andretti machine. He was faster than any of his actual teammates in the final practice session Friday.As for Schmidt, he's reveled all week in the attention that goes with putting a car on the pole, especially one that beat out powerhouse organizations run by Roger Penske and Chip Ganassi. Considering the personal side to the story, the team's qualifying run is even more inspiring."I do it because this is my passion," Schmidt said. "But if gets a lot of people out of bed, gets 'em active, gets 'em in shape, gets 'em back to work so they can be an active part of society, that's what it's all about."Although Schmidt's team has shown it can produce a fast car, a 200-lap race is more than pure speed. There's reliability. There's strategy. There's pit stops."It comes down to the total package," two-time winner Franchitti said. "You've got to be flawless. Every year, it's the same thing: To win this thing, you've got to be flawless. It's very unusual to make a mistake and come back from it."Which is why, despite the closeness of the field and the surprising strength shown by smaller teams in qualifying, the winner likely will be wearing the Penske (Castroneves, Briscoe and Power) or Ganassi (Franchitti and Scott Dixon) colors."Part of me wants to say the winner will come from outside of those guys," said Tony Kanaan, who's one of those outsiders. "But I know what they're capable of. I know Dario. I know Scott Dixon. And Helio, you can't count Helio out. Helio running from behind is something else. I would say it will be between those two teams, unfortunately for me."

A's spring training Day 40: Manaea downplays struggles after walking five

baseball-generic.jpg

A's spring training Day 40: Manaea downplays struggles after walking five

MESA, Ariz. — Something flipped a switch inside Sean Manaea in the third inning Saturday, and the A’s left-hander pitched with the aggressiveness he’s shown most of spring training.

It was a different story before that, as Manaea issued five walks, two of them forcing in runs, against the Cincinnati Reds. His final Cactus League outing ended after just three innings, his pitch count at more than 70, and he was charged with five earned runs.

“I was trying to nibble at the corners too much,” Manaea said. “The third inning I finally just said, ‘Throw it right down the middle and let them hit it.’”

The plan was to get Manaea close to 90 pitches, so he went to the bullpen and threw 10 more after he was pulled from the game. He entered the day with a 2.81 ERA in his first five outings, walking just one in each of those games.

He downplayed his struggles Saturday in Oakland’s 11-6 split-squad defeat at Hohokam Stadium, and manager Bob Melvin wasn’t expressing major concern either.

“He was just out of sync,” Melvin said. “Typically you don’t see him walk guys like that, let alone multiple guys in a row. It was just a tough day for him. We wanted to try to get him close to 90 pitches. But when you’re throwing that many pitches in three innings, I just couldn’t risk sending him back out there.”

Manaea was stressing the positives of his camp afterward. As he preps for one final tune-up start at AT&T Park against the Giants in the Bay Bridge Series, he particularly likes the way his slider has rounded into form.

“Just being able to have that confidence to throw it for a strike and get weak ground balls and swings and misses, it’s huge,” he said.

CAMP BATTLE: The A’s lost their other split-squad matchup by an identical 11-6 score to the Dodgers in Glendale. Jesse Hahn took the hill and struggled for the second consecutive outing, allowing two homers — including a grand slam by Andrew Toles — and surrendering seven runs (five earned) over 3 1/3 innings. Competing for one of two open rotation spots, Hahn hasn’t shown his best in the Cactus League stretch run. He gave up seven runs against Colorado in his previous start.

PROSPECT WATCH:Lazaro Armenteros, the A’s 17-year-old stud outfield prospect better known as “Lazarito”, is believed to have become the youngest player in franchise history to appear in a Cactus League game. Armenteros entered at the DH spot in the eighth against the Dodgers and went 0-for-2, flying out to right-center and popping up to shallow center. With the A’s short on position players, Armenteros was brought over from minor league camp and got a little exposure to the big league environment. He’ll stay in Arizona through extended spring training and then head to play in the Dominican Summer League.

ODDS AND ENDS: Third baseman Trevor Plouffe had two more hits against the Reds to raise his average to .425 but left the game after tweaking an abductor muscle in his lower body. “He felt like he’s OK. We just didn’t wanna risk that,” Melvin said. … Rajai Davis connected for his first spring home run and scored three runs. … Sean Doolittle gave up two runs in his inning of work but struck out three. He sported his new eyeglasses for the first time in a major league game. … Matt Chapman hit a three-run homer off former Athletic Rich Hill in the game at Glendale.

Sharks' Vlasic out of the lineup again

Sharks' Vlasic out of the lineup again

NASHVILLE – Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic is out of the lineup again.

The defenseman, who didn’t play on Tuesday in Minnesota with the flu and took just one shift in the third period on Friday in Dallas, was scratched for Saturday’s road trip finale against the Predators. The team stated Saturday’s absence was due to his being sick, although it should be noted he was spotted leaving the dressing room on Friday in Dallas not walking completely right.

The Sharks are 2-3-1 in games Vlasic missed this season entering Saturday night. 

Chris Tierney was also scratched, and is day-to-day with an upper body injury. Is was just the second game he has missed this season.

Dylan DeMelo drew into the lineup for Vlasic, while Timo Meier got back in on the fourth line with Micheal Haley and Marcus Sorensen.

Melker Karlsson (lower body) remains out.