Quakes add Honduran defender Victor Bernardez


Quakes add Honduran defender Victor Bernardez

The Earthquakes have signed Honduran defender VictorBernardez, the team announced Wednesday. The 29-year-old center back comes tothe Bay Area from top Belgian club Anderlecht, though he spent 2011 on loanwith another Belgian outfit, Lierse, and most recently with Indios de CiudadJuarez in Mexico. The move comes pending receipt of Bernardezs P-1 Visa, aninternational transfer certificate and a team-administered physical. Weve scouted Victor for several years, said EarthquakesGeneral Manager John Doyle. We saw him play at the CONCACAF Gold Cup and werevery impressed with his game. Hes a great addition to the offseason movesweve made so far and we look forward to having him in San Jose.

Bernardez has featured 52 times for Hondurassenior national team, and has scored two goals for his country. While with Anderlecht, the 62 defender made 22 appearances,scoring one goal, and was part of the team that won the Belgian championship in2010. Prior to his stint in Europe, Bernardez played for Motagua,one of the most popular teams in Honduras, where he was part of a team that wonthe 2006 Apertura championship and the 2007 Central American club championship.In addition to his height and defensive ability, Bernardezhas established himself as a capable free kick taker throughout his career. Victor gives us another quality player in the center of ourdefense, said Earthquakes head coach Frank Yallop. Hes a big, tough andathletic defender who can also play well with his feet and distribute the ball.Were excited to have him on the squad next season. Bernardez is the Earthquakes fourth addition of theoffseason and joins fellow Honduran Marvin Chavez as a new addition to headcoach Frank Yallops team. The acquisition also fills the hole left by thedeparture of Bobby Burling, who was selected by Montreal in Novembers ExpansionDraft.For more Earthquakes, MLS and world soccer chatter,follow Nick Rosano on Twitter: @nicholasrosano.

Neymar to sign extension with Barcelona through 2021


Neymar to sign extension with Barcelona through 2021

MADRID — Neymar will sign a three-year contract extension with Barcelona on Friday, a deal that will keep the Brazil forward with the Spanish club until 2021.

Barcelona and Neymar had made the announcement of the agreement in July.

The previous contract was to end in 2018. The new deal will run through June 2021, Barcelona said Monday.

The club's announcement in July ended speculation that Neymar was unhappy in Spain and was looking to move to another club. Paris Saint-Germain was among the clubs reportedly trying to sign him.

At the time, the club said the contract's buyout clause would be fixed at 200 million euros ($219 million) for the first year of the new contract, 222 million euros ($243 million) for the second, and 250 million euros ($274 million) for the final three years.

Neymar has been with Barcelona since moving from Brazilian club Santos in 2013. He has scored 90 goals in 149 matches, including five goals in eight matches this season.

A key player in Barcelona's potent attack along with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez, Neymar helped the team win nine titles: two Spanish league titles, two Copa del Reys, two Spanish Super Cups, the Champions League, the European Super Cup, and the Club World Cup.

The trio of attacking players scored 122 goals in the 2014-15 season and 131 goals last season, both record figures.

Neymar and his father, who acts as his agent, are likely to face trial for fraud in Spain in a case into alleged irregularities regarding his transfer from Santos to Barcelona. A Brazilian investment group which was entitled to 40 percent of the transfer claims it received a smaller compensation than it should have because part of the fee was concealed.

Barcelona also confirmed that defender Javier Mascherano will be staying with the club until 2019. That deal also had been announced in July.

Bingham makes seven saves in Earthquakes' 0-0 draw with Whitecaps


Bingham makes seven saves in Earthquakes' 0-0 draw with Whitecaps


SAN JOSE -- Paolo Tornaghi had a clean sheet in his first MLS start and the Vancouver Whitecaps tied the San Jose Earthquakes 0-0 on Sunday in a game with no playoff implications.

Both teams had already seen their postseason hopes vanish. Vancouver (9-15-9) had its winless streak extended to four games and San Jose (8-11-14) has only won once in its last 10 games.

Tornaghi came out of his area to block Simon Dawkins' shot from the corner of the 6-yard box in the seventh minute. Cordell Cato tried to curl a shot inside the far post in the ninth minute but Tornaghi dove to deflect it wide.

Vancouver forward Masato Kudo won a loose ball in the penalty area in the 54th minute but David Bingham deflected the open shot. Bingham blocked Kudo's shot in the 56th and Kudo's rebound attempt hit the crossbar.

It was the sixth straight draw in the series at San Jose - with the last win coming on April 6, 2012.