Escobedo wins, needs surgery on hand

407019.jpg

Escobedo wins, needs surgery on hand

March 9, 2011

GUTIERREZ ARCHIVEPaulGutierrez
CSNCalifornia.com

The restart button on Vicente Escobedos boxing career has a glitch, of sorts.

The 2004 United States Olympian from Woodland, who is making a move back down to the 130-pound division from lightweight, will undergo surgery on his right hand either Thursday or Friday at USC medical center. Escobedo injured it in Friday nights 10-round unanimous decision over Walter Estrada in Indio.

I was hoping it was just bruised but they said the ligament that holds the knuckle in place came off and I just ruptured it in the fight, Escobedo said in a phone interview with CSN California. It was in about the third round when I started feeling the pain really, really bad. I was hesitant to throw it. I was just throwing it to throw it. There was no power behind it.

And still, Escobedo (23-3) knocked down the southpaw Estrada (38-14-1) with a straight right to the chin in the seventh round.

In all, though, Escobedo was not all that impressed with his performance which was scored 97-92, 96-93, 97-92. He had lost two of his previous three fights at 135 pounds.

I thought it was good, not great, said Escobedo, who now fights out of Pasadena. (Estrada) was awkward and I couldnt do the things I wanted to with him. It was a win; were happy with that.

Initially, Escobedo thought he chipped a knuckle, as he did in his split decision loss to Michael Katsidis for the interim WBO lightweight title on Sept. 19, 2009. Instead, Escobedo will now be shut down for at least six weeks after the surgery, delaying plans made for him by Golden Boy Promotions.

We plan to get him a couple of stay-strong fights and then go after the champions (at 130 pounds), Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez said before the Estrada fight.

Were still high on him; hes good. Hes still a part of our team. It might have taken a little longer for him to develop but we still have high expectations of him.

The fight with Estrada was at a catch-weight of 133 pounds, and Escobedo weighed in at 132 pounds.

The plan was I wanted to get back in the ring in late May, early June, Escobedo said. Now, it looks like its not going to happen. Bummer.

With Yankees on the prowl, error costs Sonny Gray in loss to Blue Jays

sonnygray-toronto-usatsi.jpg
USATSI

With Yankees on the prowl, error costs Sonny Gray in loss to Blue Jays

BOX SCORE

Sonny Gray walked off the mound after a scoreless bottom of the sixth Tuesday in Toronto.

Was it the last inning he’ll pitch in green and gold?

That’s the dominant storyline around the A’s right now, especially in light of Tuesday afternoon’s revelation that the Yankees are making a run at acquiring both Gray and first baseman Yonder Alonso from Oakland in a package deal.

MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand reported multiple sources as saying the teams were “making progress” on a deal that would send both players to the Big Apple.

The A’s have been scouting the Yankees’ farm system recently, along with the systems of other contending teams who are considering Gray. The speculation surrounding Alonso, a free agent this winter, has been light in recent weeks except for the Yankees’ known interest. But after New York acquired corner infielder Todd Frazier from the White Sox last week, it seemed the Yankees’ need for Alonso might have lessened. Apparently, that’s not the case.

Gray struck out nine over six innings in Tuesday’s 4-1 loss to the Blue Jays, which leaves the A’s 1-4 so far on this seven-game road trip. All four runs off him came in the second, when his own throwing error toward second base helped open the gates to the only rally Toronto needed. Ryan Goins had a two-out two-run double and Jose Bautista also doubled home a run in the inning, with all four runs off Gray unearned.

MLB.com also reported earlier Tuesday that the A’s had a particular interest in Yankees Single-A center fielder Estevan Florial, and that infielder/outfielder Jorge Mateo, ranked New York’s fourth-best prospect by Baseball America before the season, could also enter the equation. That same report mentioned that such elite Yankee prospects as shortstop Gleyber Torres, outfielder Clint Frazier and pitchers Chance Adams and Justus Sheffield would be all but untouchable. All are among New York’s top-10 prospects.

But for a deal that includes both Gray and Alonso, it stands to reason the A’s could ask for the inclusion of one or more of those four in a deal.

The Yankees aren’t the only team that has an enticing pool of prospects that could make for a match with Oakland. Houston, known to be going after a starter, has multiple outfielders who could be attractive to the A’s. The Washington Nationals and Los Angeles Dodgers are among other teams in search of pitching who could put together competitive offers.

Gray’s next scheduled start would come Sunday at home against the Minnesota Twins, one day before the non-waiver trade deadline.

The next Primetime? Carr receives compliment after imitating Neon Deion

deion-sanders-derek-carr-usatsi.jpg
USATSI

The next Primetime? Carr receives compliment after imitating Neon Deion

Watch out Jalen Richard. You have some competition for your punt returning job.

Okay, not really.

But quarterback Derek Carr got in on the action Tuesday. In a video posted by the Raiders on Twitter, Carr fielded a punt and ran it back to the endzone for a touchdown.

He proceeded to do Deion Sanders' touchdown dance and that elicited a response from the Pro Football Hall of Famer.

"That's 1 of the many reasons why I gots mad love for @derekcarrqb he is the #Truth," Sanders wrote in a quote tweet.

Carr has yet to respond.