Giants' Zito 'frustrated' by unnamed sources

401213.jpg

Giants' Zito 'frustrated' by unnamed sources

March 2, 2010
URBAN ARCHIVEGIANTS PAGE GIANTS VIDEOMychael UrbanCSNBayArea.com

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- The executives at Showtime are surely pleased with Barry Zito.The Giants, according to a column in Wednesday's San Francisco Chronicle that cites only unnamed sources, are not. So, two days after drawing the ire of manager Bruce Bochy by walking five of the 13 batters he faced in his Cactus Legue debut, Zito spent a good portion of his afternoon trying to sort through the latest in a long line of unsavory episodes since he signed his massive free-agent contract with the Giants before the 2007 season."Crazy," is how Zito described it to CSNBayArea.com.
The column essentially claims that Zito has fallen completely out of favor within the organization, not only in danger of losing his spot in the starting rotation, but also in danger of losing his job. The Giants are so "exasperated" with Zito, the column asserts, that they might release him and eat the 64.5 million he's owed for the remainder of his contract. Oh, and they're said to be hacked off because he reported to camp out of shape.It's reality-TV gold, a nasty little melodrama certain to be part of Showtime's premier episode in the series that follows the world champions on their quest to defend the crown.But how much of it is reality?Nobody's quite sure. Zito, who was called into Bochy's office for a closed-door meeting upon his arrival at Scottsdale Stadium on Wednesday, certainly isn't."Obviously it was a shock," Zito told CSNBayArea.com of seeing the column. "I'd love to know who these sources are, but I know enough about the media to know that we'll probably never know who they are. It's a little frustrating, because I pride myself on being accountable. I have a bad game? I'll wear it. I deserve to. No excuses. Left off the playoff roster? I wore it. Kept working, didn't complain, was a good teammate. I had nobody to blame but myself. I'm not going to hide from anything I do, good or bad. Unfortunately, not everyone's as big on accountability as other people."So all I can go on is what people tell me face-to-face, and everybody I've spoken to with the Giants seems as surprised by all of this stuff as I am."Bochy told Zito that he'd never heard anyone bring up the possibility of releasing him, and before the Giants' night game against the Diamondbacks, Bochy shot down any suggestion that the team is concerned with Zito's physical condition."Not at all, not at all," Bochy said. "The guy's never missed a start in his career because of injury. We know how hard Barry works. That's not a question in my mind."Zito told CSNBayArea.com that the contention that he's out of shape was the most troubling aspect of the report. The rest, he said, is "out of my control.""All I can control is how I pitch, and I didn't pitch well the other day," Zito said that. "But it's what? March 2? I've been in the big leagues a long time now. I know what adjustments I need to make, how to get ready to make my 30, 32 starts during the regular season, and that's where my attention need to be. My spot in the rotation, all the other stuff, I told Boch, 'That's your call. I can't control those decisions. He basically told me he had no idea where this whole thing came from."Nobody does except these unnamed sources, I guess."

Sharks begin second day of draft by selecting a defenseman

hockey-generic.jpg

Sharks begin second day of draft by selecting a defenseman

CHICAGO – The Sharks used their first pick on the second day of the draft to select defenseman Mario Ferraro at 49th overall.

The Sharks acquired the second round pick from New Jersey earlier in the week as part of the trade for Mirco Mueller.

Ferraro, a five-foot-11, 185-pound Toronto native, will attend the University of Massachusetts (Amherst) in the fall. The 18-year-old posted 41 points (8g, 33a) in 60 games for Des Moines of the USHL last season.

“I describe myself as an offensive defenseman that takes pride in the d-zone,” Ferraro said. “Obviously, I like to get involved offensively. I think I’m a good skater, and I transition the puck up the ice quick. I also like to be physical in the d-zone and use my body.”

Ferraro said he needs to work on "my shot, especially. Getting pucks through to the net to create scoring chances, and I also want to work on when and when not to get up in the play, and reading the play better.”

Ferraro, the 78th-ranked North American skater according to NHL Central Scouting and a left-handed shot, had about 20 friends and family in attendance at the draft.

“I’m very honored to be wearing this jersey right now. It was amazing. It’s been an amazing day so far.”

The Sharks chose center Josh Norris with their first round pick (19th overall) on Friday.

A's call up top prospect Franklin Barreto, place Pinder on DL

A's call up top prospect Franklin Barreto, place Pinder on DL

The A's called up top prospect Franklin Barreto on Saturday morning, giving the middle infielder his first major league call-up with Chad Pinder hitting the 10-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. 

In the span of just over a week, the A's have promoted both of their highest rated position player prospects in Barreto and third baseman Matt Chapman, though Chapman himself is on the DL with a knee infection. 

Barreto, 21, is hitting .281 with eight home runs and 32 RBI for Triple-A Nashville. He ascended to the top of Oakland's prospect rankings shortly after being acquired from Toronto in the Josh Donaldson trade of November 2014. His bat is the strength of his game, and the A's believe he has the potential to be an excellent hitter near the top of the batting order. 

Pinder injured his hamstring in the A's 3-0 win over the White Sox on Friday night.