Breakthrough -- Stow speaks

September 22, 2011, 3:31 pm
Share This Post

Giants fan Bryan Stow, hospitalized since an Opening Day attack at Dodgers Stadium, spoke for the first time since his injury, saying the names of his children and asking to see them.

The development left those closest to him "blown away," according to the latest post on the family's Web site,

Here are the specific details:
On Wednesday, we were also told that Bryan had his speaking valve on his trach and when the speech therapists asked his first and last name, he said them. The ST asked what his daughters name was and he said, Tabby. She asked what that was short for and he said, Tabitha. She then asked what his sons name was and he said, Tyler. Today, the Speech Therapist was working with him again and asked him what his birthday was. Bryan then said, 2121969. With the valve on, he told Erin he loved her, and, while Erin was videotaping it for Bonnie, he said, Hi, and Bonnie, when asked to say it. Also, Dave was holding up pictures of Tyler and Tabitha and Bryan said, I would like to see them.
Stow also was able to say his first and last names, his date of birth and identified family members when presented with their photos.
The Santa Cruz paramedic was attacked on March 31 and has been hospitalized since. Earlier this month his lawyers estimated that Stows medical costs would exceed 50 million.Louie Sanchez, 29, and Marvin Norwood, 30, are charged with mayhem, assault and battery in the attack on Stow.Prosecutors contend that Sanchez hit two of Stow's friends before chasing down Stow and punching him from behind in the side of his head.

Deputy Dist. Atty. Gary Hearnsberger has stated that Sanchez and Norwood pose a threat to public safety. Both have access to firearms, prosecutors allege. A search of Norwood's home turned up five firearms, including an AR-15 assault rifle.

Norwood has a prior assault conviction and Sanchez has prior convictions for drunk driving and evading police.

More Team Talk