Giants drop sixth straight series, Cain leaves in first inning
Kensuke Tanaka is 2-for-8 with a walk, a strikeout and a run scored in his first two MLB games. (USA TODAY IMAGES)
SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants are pulling out all the stops in trying to shake free the shackles of their current slide, but the success of their most recent new toy, Kensuke Tanaka, didn't help the team avoid being swept by the Mets at home Wednesday.
[RECAP: Mets 7, Giants 2]
Last week, it was the promotion of a 29-year-old outfielder, but Cole Gillespie went 0-for-9 and was designated for assignment. This week, it was the promotion of long-time Japanese star Kensuke Tanaka, whose positive impact on the team in his first two games hasn't resulted in any wins, but hasn't gone unnoticed.
It certainly appears as if next week's addition will be Jeff Francoeur -- the free-swinging, strong-armed 29-year old who signed a minor-league deal with the Giants on Tuesday.
[REWIND: Francoeur signs with Giants]
"He's not here to play in Fresno," manager Bruce Bochy said.
Francoeur, who last played in the majors on June 29 for Kansas City, did just that Tuesday night, recording one hit in four at-bats in his debut with the Grizzlies. He struck out twice and played left field.
"We'll talk about him when he has two or three games under his belt and see where he's at," Bochy added "We'll have to make a decision."
The Grizzlies play each of the next five days, so Francoeur should have his three-game prerequisite fulfilled before Game 2 of the Padres series on Friday, at the latest.
As if the team didn't pile up enough bad news on Wednesday, George Kontos heard back from the league regarding his suspension appeal, which was upheld, according to the San Jose Mercury News' Alex Pavlovic.
The 28-year-old reliever hit Pirates star Andrew McCutchen two batters after a pitch thrown behind Starling Marte resulted in a warning from plate umpire Wally Bell on June 11.
[REWIND: Giants receive suspensions after plunk-fest in Pittsburgh]
Kontos will begin serving Thursday night in San Diego, and will be kept out for the first three games of the four-game set, leaving the bullpen much in need of fresh arms.
The Giants already have one open relief slot on the roster after they optioned Mike Kickham to Triple-A Wednesday.
[NEWS: Kickham optioned after sparing bullpen in loss]
And Bruce Bochy's brain trust planned to make a decision about Santiago Casilla Wednesday evening. Casilla, who had surgery to remove a cyst in his knee, says he is ready to return to game action.
[NEWS: Giants' Casilla: 'I'm ready']
Right-handed pitcher Jean Machi is among the Triple-A options for the Giants, as Machi was optioned on June 24. Right-handed pitcher Chris Heston and lefties Dan Runzler and Eric Surkamp are the only other Triple-A pitchers currently listed on the Giants' 40-man roster.
When Chad Gaudin was approached by reporters regarding his gross lewdness charge Wednesday, he offered only the perfunctory response:
"My lawyer issued a statement. I've got no further comment."
[RELATED: Gaudin charged with gross lewdness | Lawyer issues statement]
As it stands, Bochy expects Gaudin to make his next scheduled start, Friday night in San Diego.
Hector Sanchez, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Tuesday with a strained right shoulder, is heading to Arizona to rehab.
[REWIND: Sanchez placed on disabled list]
He hopes to play games after a few days at the team's Scottsdale facility.