Giants

McCourt lawyer: Stow shares blame

572238.jpg

McCourt lawyer: Stow shares blame

Lawsuits are flying around the Dodgers and owner Frank McCourt like baseballs during batting practice.

The latest: An attorney representing the team and its embattled owner filed a civil complaint against Marvin Norwood and Louis Sanchez, the two men accused of beating Giants fan Bryan Stow on Opening Day 2011.

As part of it, ESPNLosAngeles.com reported Thursday that McCourt attorney Jerome Jackson claimed that Stow could, in the eyes of a jury, bear some liability for the attack.
"One of the things the jury will be asked to do is to determine what percentage of fault various individuals have for this event," Jackson told the website. "You're saying to the jury, 'They (the Stow family) are saying we're 100 percent liable. But does that mean (Marvin) Norwood and (Louis) Sanchez, who beat this guy up, have no liability? And, does it mean Mr. Stow himself has no liability?'
The attorney referenced a 2005 lawsuit in which a woman lost sight in one eye after a fight at Dodgers Stadium. A jury found her assailant 85 percent liable and the woman who sustained the eye injury 15 percent liable. The Dodgers were deemed to have no liability in the incident.

The Stow family has filed a lawsuit against McCourt and the Dodgers. Lawyers representing the family have estimated Stow's medical costs and damages could exceed 50 million.

The Stow family initated the negligence lawsuit in May that cited security cutbacks, poor lighting and a lax approach to ballpark rowdiness as factors in Stow's beating, which occurred in the parking lot following the March 31 game between the Giants and L.A.

Norwood, 30, and Sanchez, 29, are charged with mayhem, assault and battery in the attack on Stow.

Prosecutors contend that Sanchez hit two of Stow's friends before chasing down Stow and punching him from behind in the side of his head. Both men have entered not guilty pleas and remain in custody. They are next scheduled to appear in Los Angeles Superior Court on Nov. 4.

Stow was released from San Francisco General Hospital earlier this month and transferred to a private rehabilitation facility.

Giants' Austin Slater ready to take big step in rehab from groin injury

slater_brewers.jpg
USATSI

Giants' Austin Slater ready to take big step in rehab from groin injury

SAN FRANCISCO — Austin Slater is quietly one of the fastest players in the Giants organization, but at some point this week, he will hope for the best from a slow jog. 

Slater is nearly to the point where he’ll be cleared to start running, and if that goes well, the Giants will increase his activity and start to target a rehab assignment. The rookie outfielder has missed 35 games with a right groin strain but the Giants are confident Slater will return in September. Originally, there was some thought that he would be out the rest of the year. Slater should begin running this week. 

“Running is the biggest hurdle,” Slater said. “I’ve been throwing and swinging. I’m swinging at 100 percent. That’s where the optimism comes in.”

Slater will take batting practice with the team on Friday. It’ll be his first time doing that since he went down in the second week of July. He has mostly been doing agility work in recent days and said it has gone well. 

Elsewhere on the injury front, there is good news and bad news. Miguel Gomez had a setback with his knee and he won’t start a rehab assignment as hoped. Gomez is in a holding pattern for now, but Bochy believes the Giants are fine on the infield. In an emergency, Buster Posey can play first and Ryder Jones can back up other infield positions. Orlando Calixte also provides coverage. 

The good news is that Johnny Cueto will throw another bullpen session on Friday. He could pitch a rehab game soon. Also, here are updates on Brandon Belt and Joe Panik. 

Will Brandon Belt return this season for Giants after yet another concussion?

Will Brandon Belt return this season for Giants after yet another concussion?

SAN FRANCISCO — It has been nearly two weeks since Brandon Belt walked out of AT&T Park with yet another concussion. On Friday he could take a big step. 

Belt will do some light cardio in hopes of ramping up the rehab process. That is generally the biggest step for concussed players. Often times, that cardio session leads to a longer shutdown when the player feels discomfort from activity. The Giants are hopeful that Belt will report only positive signs. 

“He seems to be doing a little better,” manager Bruce Bochy said. 

There is no timetable for Belt’s return, but the club hopes to get him back in the heart of the lineup down the stretch. That leads to an obvious question: Why would the Giants play him? Belt has suffered four concussions in the last eight years and he is a member of a last-place team that’s in a fight for the first pick in the draft. Doesn’t it make sense to just shut him down, make sure he gets fully healthy, and prepare for 2018? 

“I know there’s talk about it, but I know for Brandon, he would like to get back,” Bochy said. “You hate to go into the offseason with six or seven weeks of not playing again, but at the same time we’ll make sure he’s completely recovered. If not, we won’t put him out there.”

Part of the shame of all this is that regardless of when Belt returns, he will have missed an opportunity to really put his stamp on a nice season. Belt leads all first baseman in defensive runs saved (12) and he would have had a very strong argument for his first Gold Glove Award. It’s possible he gets back in time to hold off Paul Goldschmidt and Anthony Rizzo. It’s also possible he gets back in time to shatter his career-high in homers. Belt is at 18 for the second time in three years, and before he went down he was on pace for about 30. The Giants will have a better idea of Belt's ability to return on Friday. 

As for the other concussed Giant, there was less information about Joe Panik. He will be reevaluated on Friday.