Report: Sabean says Pence will be a Giant in 2013

Report: Sabean says Pence will be a Giant in 2013
November 8, 2012, 5:37 am
Share This Post

Brian Sabean made it clear Wednesday that Hunter Pence will be a Giant in 2013, according to a report from ESPN's Jerry Crasnick.

"Pence is going to be coming back," said Sabean at the general managers' meetings in Palm Springs. "We think there are some things he can do to fix what went wrong last year. We like the player. We made a big trade to get him, and he's going to be a Giant next year."

The Giants' GM said the team plans to tender a contract to Pence. He is projected to earn 13.8 million in arbitration.

On July 31, the Giants traded Nate Schierholtz and minor-league prospects Tommy Joseph and Seth Rosin to the Phillies for Pence.

In 59 regular season games, the right-fielder hit just .219 with seven home runs, but he did drive in 45 runs.

Pence struggled mightily in the Giants' World Series run, hitting .210 with one home run, four RBI, and 17 strikeouts.

While Pence will assuredly be wearing orange and black next season, the same can't be said for closer Brian Wilson.

"This was his second Tommy John, and if anyone could defy the odds, it would be him," Sabean said. "But he's a long way from being at full strength, which means he's a long way from being cleared medically. It's wait-and-see. Until I get more medical information, we're not going near the subject."

More Team Talk