Sandoval: 'Giants fans better than N.Y.'

813482.jpg

Sandoval: 'Giants fans better than N.Y.'

KANSAS CITY -- Giants slugger Pablo Sandoval will play in his second All-Star Game Tuesday night but it will be his first as a starter. His selection was not without controversy. Sandoval will take the field at third base ahead of Mets third baseman David Wright. Sandoval finished with 5.7 million votes to Wright's 4.1 million votes.Mets GM Sandy Alderson took a few shots via Twitter:"ASG election of 'Kung Fu Panda' shows the value of a cute nickname. Surprised Giants fans didn't elect a 'ball dude' to start at 3B.""Wright vs. Sandoval: A city of 8 million was outvoted by a city of 800,000."
Wright is hitting .351 with 11 home runs and 59 RBIs over 82 games. Sandoval has a .307 average, with eight home runs and 30 RBIs in 51 games and admitted to being slightly surprised to edge out Wright.On his selection to the All-Star Game
"I'm excited. Like I always say, it's exciting to be a part of the starting lineup with my teammates. All the support (the fans) do) for us, it's exciting. I get impressed. Every time 42, 000 ... 40,000 people vote for us. It's exciting to be part of that.On Matt Cain starting for the National League"I'm happy. I'm happy to see Cain. He do his thing out there. He deserved that, all the things he's been doing during the season, the perfect game. He deserved to be the starting pitcher for the National League."On being named a starter for the All-Star Game"(I was) surprised a little bit because David Wright is having a great season. I saw some great plays. Beating him is tough because New York has got pretty good fans. But I think this moment showed me that Giants fans are better than New York."On Buster Posey starting a year after his injury"I'm happy for him. He's been through a lot of things, his ankle surgery. He missed all season last year. To get back the way he got back, it's tough. He deserves to be here. He's a great player, great hitter. I'm happy to see my teammate not just for one year but a couple of years. I know him very well. He's a great guy, such a great teammate, so I'm happy for him to be here."

Santiago Casilla says he never received offer from Giants

Santiago Casilla says he never received offer from Giants

SAN FRANCISCO — Over the final month of his time with the Giants, it became clear that Santiago Casilla and the team would part ways. On Friday, Casilla confirmed that he never had the opportunity to return. 

On a conference call to announce a two-year deal with the Oakland A’s, Casilla said he “would have been happy to return to the Giants, but I never got an offer from them. I understood.”

Casilla said he had several opportunities to go elsewhere and close, mentioning the Milwaukee Brewers as one interested team. Casilla signed a two-year, $11 million deal with the A’s, who likely won’t need him to pitch in the ninth. The Brewers went on to bring in Neftali Feliz for one year and $5.35 million; he is expected to close. 

“I preferred to return to the Athletics because that’s where my career started,” Casilla said through interpreter Manolo Hernández Douen. “And I’m very excited.”

Casilla spent the first six years of his career with the A’s before crossing the bridge and becoming a key figure in three title runs. In seven seasons in San Francisco, he posted a 2.42 ERA and saved 123 games. Casilla had a 0.92 ERA in the postseason, but he was stripped of a prominent role in the weeks leading up to the 2016 playoffs. 

Casilla, 36, blew nine saves before being pulled from the ninth inning. He appeared just three times in the final 14 regular season games and just once in the playoffs. He did not take the mound in Game 4 of the NLDS, watching as five other relievers teamed up to give back a three-run lead. 

That moment stung Casilla, and it affected Bruce Bochy, too. The Giants struck quickly in December to bring Mark Melancon in as their new closer, but at the Winter Meetings, Bochy said he would welcome Casilla back in a setup role. 

“He’s a great team player (and) teammate,” Bochy said. “(I) certainly wouldn’t rule it out because he still has great stuff. And he had some hiccups there in that closing role, but I would take him anytime.”

As it turned out, that opportunity was never there for Casilla. The Giants didn’t make another move after the big deal with Melancon, and they’ll rely on younger arms to record most of the outs in the seventh and eighth. Casilla said he’s not bitter about the way it all ended. 

“I have left that in the past,” he said. “It’s a new year, it’s a new year. I have left this in the past.” 

Authorities: Two Dodgers security guards arrested, accused of theft

la-dodgers-hat.jpg

Authorities: Two Dodgers security guards arrested, accused of theft

LOS ANGELES -- Prosecutors say two security guards at Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium have been arrested and are accused of stealing equipment, baseballs and jerseys from the major league team to sell online.

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office says Juan DeDios Prada and Fernando Sierra pleaded not guilty to burglary and other charges Thursday.

Prosecutors say the two security guards conspired with a third man, Jesse Luis Dagnesses, to steal baseball uniforms and other team merchandise to sell online.

They say Prada and Sierra stole more than $3,400 from a locked equipment room at the stadium between January 2013 and February 2016.

Authorities say Dagnesses is accused of receiving $950 in stolen baseballs and jerseys.

It wasn't immediately clear if the men had attorneys who could comment on the allegations.