Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig called for tougher penalties for major-leaguers who violate the sport's drug policy, a move the union is willing to consider but not for the 2013 season.
Speaking at a news conference Saturday at the Arizona Diamondbacks' spring training ballpark in Scottsdale, Selig said last year's positive drug test for All-Star Game MVP Melky Cabrera, then with the Giants, and allegations that players received banned substances from a now-closed Florida antiaging clinic helped lead him to seek stiffer penalties as quickly as possible.
The current discipline structure has been in place since the 2006 season: 50 games for an initial PED infraction, 100 games for a second and a lifetime ban for a third. No player has reached the third level.
Selig wants a tougher penalty for first-time offenders. "There's no question about that," he said.