Stow transferred to rehab

540903.jpg

Stow transferred to rehab

Bryan Stow was released from San Francisco General Hospital Tuesday and transferred to a rehabilitation center, the latest step in his return from a savage beating on Opening Day.

Dr. Geoff Manley, the hospital's chief of neurosurgery, said that Stow was released to an undisclosed facility.

"Bryan has been an extremely challenging patient," saidf Manley. "It has been a roller coaster, but he is young and strong and has made tremendous advances."

Stow has been hospitalized since being attacked at Dodgers Stadium on March 31.

Stow has been making slow but steady progress in his recovery, after spending months in a coma. Recently, he was visited by Giants manager Bruce Bochy and members of the rock band Queensryche.

Stow was invited by Bochy to throw out the first pitch at San Francisco's 2012 season. When family members told Stow that thousands of people were looking forward to him throwing out the ceremonial first pitch in 2012, Stow said, "I'm there."

Last week Stow had the tube removed following his tracheotomy procedure, and "the site has closed and headed," according to a report on his family's website. Stow continues to speak with a stronger and clearer voice, according to the latest update.

In September, Stow said his children's names for the first time, continuing a pattern of remarkable progress for the Santa Cruz paramedic and father of two.

In August, attorneys for Stow estimated his medical expenses at roughly 50 million. Their statement was filed as part of a lawsuit filed May 24 by Stow and his children against Dodgers owner Frank McCourt.

Two suspects, Louie Sanchez, 29, and Marvin Norwood, 30, are charged with mayhem, assault and battery in the attack on Stow.

Prosecutors contend that Sanchez hit two of Stow's friends before chasing down Stow and punching him from behind in the side of his head.

Deputy Dist. Atty. Gary Hearnsberger has stated that Sanchez and Norwood pose a threat to public safety. Both have access to firearms, prosecutors allege. A search of Norwood's home turned up five firearms, including an AR-15 assault rifle.

Norwood has a prior assault conviction and Sanchez has prior convictions for drunk driving and evading police.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Padres non-tender former A’s P Ross, former Giants C Sanchez

Padres non-tender former A’s P Ross, former Giants C Sanchez

NEW YORK -- Tyson Ross, an All-Star pitcher for San Diego two years ago, was among 35 players who became free agents when their teams declined to offer them 2017 contracts on Friday.

Washington outfielder Ben Revere and Philadelphia outfielder Cody Asche also were cut loose, along with Arizona catcher Welington Castillo and pitcher Rubby De La Rosa; Baltimore pitcher Vance Worley; and Los Angeles Dodgers reliever Louis Coleman.

Milwaukee first baseman Chris Carter and Pittsburgh pitcher Jeff Locke were non-tendered as well; their teams had already designated them for assignment earlier this week.

Teams cut players at the tender deadline to avoid committing to salary arbitration, in which about one-sixth of next season's salary is guaranteed.

Ross, a 29-year-old right-hander, was 13-14 with a 2.81 ERA in 2014 and 10-12 with a 3.26 ERA the following season. He was limited to one major league appearance this year and had surgery in October for thoracic outlet syndrome. Recovery time was expected to be four to six months, and the Padres deemed him too pricy for arbitration after he earned $9,625,000 this year.

Asche, 26, was designated for assignment earlier Friday to clear a roster spot for left-hander David Rollins, claimed off waivers from Texas. Asche hit .240 with 31 homers and 125 RBIs for the Phillies during 371 games in the past four seasons and would have been eligible for arbitration for the first time.

The 28-year-old Revere was acquired from Toronto in January for reliever Drew Storen but strained his right oblique in his first at-bat of the season, left after four innings and went on the disabled list. Revere returned May 6, hit just .217 with two homers and 24 RBIs in 103 games and would have been on track for a raise from his $6.25 million salary.

Castillo batted .264 with 14 homers and 68 RBIs and would have gotten a big raise from his $3.7 million salary.

Giants tender contracts to all six arbitration-eligible players

Giants tender contracts to all six arbitration-eligible players

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants tendered contracts to all six arbitration-eligible players on Friday, agreeing to one-year contracts with two of them. 

Right-hander Cory Gearrin will get $1.05 million and infielder Ehire Adrianza will receive $600,000, per Jon Heyman of MLB Network. The Giants will exchange figures with George Kontos, Will Smith, Eduardo Nunez and Conor Gillaspie. They traditionally have avoided going to actual arbitration hearings. 

Gearrin, Kontos and Smith will make up a chunk of the bullpen next season, while Nunez is expected to start at third base. Gillaspie, the postseason hero, should see more playing time and Adrianza is currently slated to return in his familiar bench role. 

The day was smoother for the Giants than other NL West teams. The Diamondbacks non-tendered Welington Castillo and Rubby De La Rosa and the Padres later sent mini shockwaves through the market by non-tendering former ace Tyson Ross, who is coming off a season lost to injury. Ross was one of six Padres to be let go, a list that included former Giant Hector Sanchez.