Kings owners announce NBA franchise to stay

399910.jpg

Kings owners announce NBA franchise to stay

May 2, 2011KINGS PAGE KINGS VIDEO
CSNBayArea.com staff

The Kings are staying in Sacramento, confirming what a source told Comcast SportsNet Bay Area Sunday night.

An official statement was released by Maloof Sports and Entertainment, the team's owners, at 9 a.m.

According to the Orange County Register, the Maloof family told officials from Anaheim Arena Management, representatives of the building that would have been the Kings' new home, of their intent to stay early Monday morning.

Also Monday, co-owner George Maloof told The Sacramento Bee that, "We are heading back to Sacramento. It was a tough decision. Ticket holders were reaching out to us, and it was the right thing to do to give it a shot at one more season."

The move came hours before a league-imposed 2 p.m. deadline for the Kings to file a formal request to relocate the team for the coming season.

A source close to the discussions toldComcast SportsNet on Sunday that the NBA had told the Maloofs to expect the Kings to stay in Sacramento next year, all but assuring the status quo for the team.

"I think it's the fair thing to do," Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said. "We've always said we think Sacramento has the best NBA fans in the world. Their overwhelming show of support was incredible. But now they realize that we're giving them another opportunity and we're anxious to play basketball.""We spent 13 years and millions of dollars to try to get an arena built. We don't have the answer. The mayor has the answers and we're willing and able to listen. He's got to have a plan. We never want to be untruthful to the fans of Sacramento. There is a sense of urgency, and that's up to mayor Johnson and his political team."Last week league commissioner David Stern indicated that he was awaiting a report from a committee dispatched to Sacramento to attempt to verify corporate pledges the city had solicited as part of a full-court press by mayor Kevin Johnson.

"There's a small NBA task force on the ground seeing whether certain assurances that the mayor gave us about community support for the team -- were they to stay for one more year to develop a plan for a building -- can be reduced to writing in some shape or form," Stern told a national radio show on Wednesday. "The Maloofs have until May 2 to apply to relocate."

Last week, Sacramento's corporate community handed NBA representatives deposits on more than 10 million in sponsorship pledges for the Kings to stay at least another year.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Warriors rookie McCaw starts vs Nets with Durant ruled out

Warriors rookie McCaw starts vs Nets with Durant ruled out

OAKLAND -- With Kevin Durant out of the Warriors lineup Saturday night with swelling in his left pinky finger, rookie wing Pat McCaw will start at forward against Brooklyn at Oracle Arena.

Warriors coach Steve Kerr made the announcement two hours before tipoff.

As for Durant, the contusion in his left pinky finger, sustained Thursday, is still in the healing process.

“Kevin’s hand is still a little swollen,” Kerr said. “It’s not anything we want to mess around with. We’ve got a long trip coming up, a lot of games. It made sense to give him the night off. We’ll have tomorrow off, flying in to Philadelphia. So hopefully the next couple days it’ll calm down and be fine. It’s kind of a day-to-day thing.”

The decision to start McCaw -- who often competes with Ian Clark for playing time -- was based mostly on how he matches up against the Nets.

“They both have my trust and my confidence,” Kerr said. “Both of them are very effective. It’s depending what we need. If we need ball movement and cutting, I’m more likely to go to Ian. He’s a great back-cutter and he gives our offense flow and he’ll make spot-up shots. If we need some size defensively, we’ll go to Patrick. They’ve both been effective. I wouldn’t say either one is ahead of the other. They’re both going to play.”

New acquisitions shine as Quakes end preseason with win over USL's Republic

New acquisitions shine as Quakes end preseason with win over USL's Republic

The San Jose Earthquakes concluded their 2017 preseason campaign with a 4-1 win against Sacramento Republic FC at Avaya Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Shea Salinas, Simon Dawkins, Jahmir Hyka and Danny Hoesen each scored for the Earthquakes in the victory to give San Jose a 6-1-2 record in preseason play.

In the 14th minute, Salinas gave the Earthquakes a 1-0 advantage when he one-timed Tommy Thompson's cross into the back of the net. In the buildup to the goal, Nick Lima threw the ball in and found fellow Homegrown player Thompson on the right side of the six-yard box. With one touch, Thompson crossed the ball to Salinas who made no mistake with his finish.

Republic FC equalized the match in the 54th minute with a penalty from Sammy Ochoa after Anibal Godoy was called for a handball in the box.

The Earthquakes regained the lead in the 66th minute when Dawkins sent a powerful low shot into the bottom left corner of Sacramento's goal from the top of the 18-yard box after receiving a through pass from Darwin Ceren.

After entering the match at halftime, Hyka made the game 3-1 in the 79th minute, finishing Godoy's cross with one touch.

Hoesen concluded the scoring for the Quakes in first minute of stoppage time after he dribbled past the Sacramento defense and sent the ball across the goal into the bottom right corner to make the final score 4-1.

"It was good," said Quakes defender and second-ever Homegrown signing Nick Lima, who started Saturday. "It was obviously our first time in the preseason in the stadium. It was good to get out there with our starters and I think we finished the way we wanted to. There's obviously a lot of improvement that we need to do, but now we have a week just to focus on Montreal. That was the ultimate goal from the beginning of preseason to get ready for that game and I think we took a step in the right direction."

The Earthquakes will start the 2017 MLS Regular Season next Saturday, March 4, at 6:45 p.m. against the Montreal Impact.

Earthquakes media services.