Kings' arena deal falls through

541396.jpg

Kings' arena deal falls through

The Kings' future in Sacramento is uncertain again.

A tentative deal for a new arena has fallen through, leaving open the possibility the team's owners could again try to move from California's capital.

The Maloof family said Friday it intended to remain in Sacramento, and Commissioner David Stern says he believes them. But Stern also said it was the Maloofs' right to re-examine the deal that had been agreed to last month, and he says there is nothing more the league can do to broker a new one.

It's not going to happen, but I can say the city has stepped up," Stern said. "We have nothing further to give, to cajole, to yell, or all the various ways I've tried to keep the parties on track to get what we thought was a win win in Sacramento."

RELATED: Mayor's open letter to Maloof family

Stern stressed that the deal was "always nonbinding," and he supported the Maloofs' decision to say they were no longer comfortable with its terms.

"I think it's fair for the Maloofs to say they don't want to do that," Stern said during a news conference after two days of owners meetings. "If they had done it simpler, earlier or more directly, it could have saved a lot of angst and trouble."

The Kings nearly moved to Anaheim after last season before agreeing to stay this season while the city tried to put together a plan to replace Power Balance Pavilion.

The two sides reached a tentative deal last month to fund the estimated 391 million arena that would open for the 2015-16 season in the downtown Sacramento rail yards. The Sacramento City Council already passed its end of the deal, brokered by the league and tentatively agreed to by the Kings.

Kings owners Joe, Gavin and George Maloof had since taken issue with some of the terms particularly environmental and pre-development costs. Under the agreement, the Kings and arena operator AEG each agreed to pay about 3.25 million in pre-development costs with the city paying the remaining 6.5 million.

The Maloofs made a presentation to owners Thursday, which they shared at a separate news conference Friday. They were meeting later in the day with Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, leaving Stern "hopeful about its outcome but not optimistic."

During their news conference, the Maloofs said they liked Sacramento but insisted the arena project was too expensive. George Maloof said they had given the city a list of their concerns that needed to be addressed before they could commit to such a major deal.

Maloof even floated the idea of renovating Power Balance Pavilion. Stern said he didn't know if that was possible.

"If they choose to do that, that's up to them," he said.

The Kings are scheduled to play at Power Balance Pavilion next season. Stern wouldn't speculate where they would play beyond that, and said if they sought to relocate, approval would be left to the relocation committee that is headed by Oklahoma City owner Clay Bennett.

Labissiere returns to Haiti, reunites with man who pulled him from quake rubble

skal-ap.jpg
AP

Labissiere returns to Haiti, reunites with man who pulled him from quake rubble

Kings sophomore forward Skal Labissiere returned to Haiti for the first time since 2010 on Wednesday. 

One day later, he reunited with the man who helped save his life. Labissiere was trapped under rubble in a 2010 earthquake. The man and Skal's father searched through debris before finding the talented hooper. 

Labissiere is back in his native country to host a basketball camp from July 19-21. In his rookie year, Labissiere averaged 8.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game in 18.5 minutes per game.

The Kings selected Labissiere out of Kentucky with the No. 28 overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft.

 

After one year in Sacramento, ex-Kings guard heads to China

After one year in Sacramento, ex-Kings guard heads to China

Editor's Note: The above video is from April 11, 2017.

With the Sacramento Kings drafting point guards De’Aaron Fox and Frank Mason III and then inking George Hill, the door closed for a return of veteran Ty Lawson. On Tuesday afternoon, the 29-year-old announced via social that he is heading overseas to play in China for the Shanxi Dragons.

Lawson played well in his lone season in Sacramento, averaging 9.9 points and 4.8 assists in 25.1 minutes per contest. He shot 45.4 percent from the field over 69 games, including 24 starts for the Kings.

Lawson almost made the leap to China last summer before landing in Sacramento on August 31. He joins free agent departures Darren Collison, Ben McLemore, Tyreke Evans, Anthony Tolliver, Langston Galloway and Rudy Gay, all who have signed elsewhere this summer as the Kings revamp their roster.