Kings

Kings, Jason Thompson reach new deal

677842.jpg

Kings, Jason Thompson reach new deal

Jason Thompson is staying in Sacramento.The Kings and their starting power forward agreed inprinciple to a new contract on Wednesday, locking down the restricted freeagent on the first day free agents could sign contracts.We are all very excited about Jasons return, Kingspresident of basketball operations Geoff Petrie said in a statement. He is avery important young veteran for our team and style of play going forward.Jason brings experience, energy and an improving all-around game to the floorevery night.The Kings did not disclose the length of the deal nor howmuch money Thompson will receive, but the Sacramento Bee reported that Thompsonwill likely receive an average of 6 million per season.The Kings had extended a qualifying offer to Thompson tomake him a restricted free agent. Petrie said Thompson was the Kings toppriority of the free agency period before it began.The 6-foot, 11-inch power forward contributed 9.1 pointsand 6.9 rebounds per game for the Kings last year.With Thompson re-signed, Sacramento now has three dynamic big men.Center DeMarcus Cousins averaged 18.1 points and 10.9 rebounds in his sophomoreseason and has spent the summer practice against the Olympic mens basketballteam as a member of the USA Mens Select Team. Thomas Robinson, thefifth-overall pick in this years NBA Draft, scored 17.7 points and grabbed11.9 boards per game for Kansaslast year.With 15 million in cap space entering the offseason, theKings likely still have some money throw around in free agency after bringingback Thompson and signing Robinson.That money might be useful to address three-point shootingwoes. The Kings 31.6-shooting percentage was second-to-last in the NBA last season.

Kings miss potential competitive advantage while going floor crazy

kings.jpg
Twitter/@SacramentoKings

Kings miss potential competitive advantage while going floor crazy

Somebody has to warn me when sentences like this appear at random. From a tweet by Paul Lukas of UniWatch:
 
“International outreach: (Sacramento) Kings' new black alternate court includes graphics in Hindi and Mandarin, depending on team's promotional campaign.”
 
Now when did that become up for grabs?
 
Not the Hindi or Mandarin legends below the Kings’ logo, which were announced by the team on NBA.com Thursday. I think every nation that wishes to should feel a part of the Dave Joerger Experience – Mongolia, Kazakhstan, South Sudan, Placerville, you name it.
 
But what I didn’t know is that there is now a desperate marketing need for alternate floors.
 
I mean, you don’t get much more fundamental and frill-free than the ground. You can paint it, you can decal it, you can varnish it, you can stain it, you can scuff it, and it still stays pretty floor-y.
 
And it robs the Kings of a potential competitive advantage that they could desperately use.
 
The Boston Celtics made great use of their old parquet floor at the now spectral Bostonb Garden. There were hot spots and dead spots, seams and gaps that only the Celtics players knew, and they all used them to their benefit throughout the golden age of Celtic basketball.
 
And now that the Celtics are celebrating the Garden’s 20th year of rubblehood, they probably miss that old floor a bit. Even though they pretty much sold off most of the bits for great scads of cash and used others to be included in the current floor.
 
But the Kings need two. No, wait. They need three. Hmmm.
 
Now the Kings also have four different uniforms to go with their floors, meaning that every game prep will include a few minutes to figure what socks go with what grain of wood. This seems like an unproductive use of everybody’s time.
 
As for the languages on the floor . . . well, if I was from Bulgaria, I’d be pretty damned cheesed off right now that I can’t see my team’s name on one of my floors.
 
So I will do it for you. Go You царства на сакрамента!

Report: Kings big man Zach Randolph takes plea, avoids jail time

zbo-ap.jpg
AP

Report: Kings big man Zach Randolph takes plea, avoids jail time

Free Z-Bo. According to TMZ.com, Sacramento Kings big man, Zach Randolph, pled no contest to a misdemeanor resisting arrest charge stemming from an arrest during a block party in the Nickerson Garden area of LA on Aug. 9. The 16-year NBA veteran originally faced two felony counts, including marijuana possession with the intent to sell.

Randolph walked out of a courtroom on Aug. 31 with reduced charges, but still faced a pair of misdemeanor counts, including one for drug possession. According TMZ, potential drug charges were dropped in exchange for the no contest plea on Wednesday.

Per the plea agreement, Randolph was sentenced to 150 hours of community service and he must stay out of trouble for the next year. If he holds up his end of the bargain, the resisting arrest conviction will be voided from his permanent record.

Randolph, 36, signed a two-year, $25 million deal with the Kings over the summer after spending the previous eight seasons in Memphis. There is no word yet as to whether the NBA will chime in with a fine or suspension.

***