The Sacramento Kings have cash to spend and needs to fill. During the opening hours of free agency on Friday night, Sacramento was open for business, meeting with veterans and being mentioned in connection with multiple veterans on the open market.
- According to Sam Amick of USA Today, the Kings met with both Patrick Patterson and Andre Iguodala Friday evening. Iguodala is a hot button free agent drawing inquiries from plenty of teams around the league. Patterson, 28, fits the need for a stretch four, but would he consider a second go around in Sacramento?
- ABC10’s Sean Cunningham also had Iguodala having a conversation with the Kings. In addition, Cunningham is reporting that Sac has a meeting scheduled with Rudy Gay, one of their own free agents. Gay is working his way back from an Achilles tear and should be ready for the start of training camp.
- According to The Vertical’s Shams Charania, free agent wing Jonathon Simmons is “gauging interest from interested teams such as Sacramento, Clippers, Minnesota.” Early reports have the Spurs offering the 27-year-old undrafted small forward a deal starting in the $9 million per season range. He’s a restricted free agent, so the Kings will likely have to pay dearly to get the Spurs to walk away.
- As we have reported here at NBC Sports California, Ty Lawson is still an option for the Kings. The veteran point guard is well liked by the Kings coaching staff and he has worked out in Sacramento this summer. According to multiple reports, Lawson is also drawing interest from Minnesota, New Orleans and OKC.
- According to ESPN’s Marc Spears, the Kings are in search of a veteran big. “Keep eye on Dave Joeger's ex-big Zach Randolph, Patrick Patterson & Taj Gibson.” Patterson has already been mentioned, but this is the first name drop of either Randolph or Gibson. Z-Bo, 35, still managed to post 14.1 points and 8.2 rebounds per game in his 16th NBA season last year. At 32, Gibson is still a quality defender, defender and scorer at the four.
- ESPN’s Chris Haynes was the first report that Sacramento will meet with veteran small forward P.J. Tucker over the weekend. The 32-year-old is a fierce defender at the three and brings a toughness the Kings currently lack.
- Sacramento has also been linked to Paul Millsap through multiple reports, but nothing beyond a casual mention. Millsap is drawing interest from plenty of teams, including the Timberwolves, Nuggets and Suns. He’d fit well on the Kings’ front line as a veteran mentor and high caliber locker room presence.
- According to Amick, Nuggets small forward Danilo Gallinari is a player of interest for the Kings. “Kings focus today, after Andre Iguodala and Patrick Patterson last night? Unrestricted forwards Taj Gibson and Danilo Gallinari, I'm told,” Amick tweeted. The soon-to-be 29-year-old Gallinari has struggled with injury issues over the last four seasons, but he’s a high caliber scorer at the three.