Modesto's McDonald gets title shot

mcdonald_michael_mma_ufc.jpg

Modesto's McDonald gets title shot

For most 21-year-olds, the most difficult task at hand is usually college classes or looking for future employment. But for Modesto native and UFC Bantamweight Michael ‘Mayday’ McDonald, that is the least of his worries.

With a record of 15-1, which includes nine KO/TKO finishes, McDonald is one of the fastest rising stars in mixed martial arts. And on February 16, 2013, he can become the youngest UFC champion ever.

After weeks of speculation and rumors, it was officially announced that Mayday will face off against UFC Interim Bantamweight Champion Renan Barao at UFC on FUEL TV 7 at the famed Wembley Arena in London, England.

Barao, who defeated Urijah Faber at UFC 149 for the interim title, is another young star in the making. At 25 years old, Barao was hoping to face UFC Bantamweight Champion Dominick Cruz for the undisputed title. However Cruz is scheduled to have a second procedure on his torn ACL, which will sideline him for several more months.

Many had expected McDonald to face Faber at 149 for the interim shot, but that opportunity was given to Barao. Now it is McDonald’s shot for UFC gold. Having won his last eight bouts, four of which came in the UFC, Mayday is deserving of this title shot and there are few who would dispute that claim.

Nitesh Dutt is a Productions Assistant at Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. Be sure to follow him on Twitter @NiteshDutt.

 

Analysis: Scoring winger a need for Sharks ahead of trade deadline

hockey-generic.jpg

Analysis: Scoring winger a need for Sharks ahead of trade deadline

SAN JOSE – There are no glaring holes for the San Jose Sharks to fill ahead of next week's NHL trade deadline on March 1.

Still, Sharks general manager Doug Wilson is a notorious tire-kicker, and he’s surely working the phones these days to see if there’s anything out there that could help his hockey club, which has a comfortable five-point lead on the Pacific Division midway through its bye week.

“We’ll see, but we do feel really good about this group,” Wilson told CSN earlier this month. “We believe in our players and we believe in our guys on the Barracuda, because they’ve earned that.

“Having said that, our history speaks for itself. If there’s a way to help this hockey team or add something, we’ve always done it, and we’ll always explore it.”

So, what might the Sharks be exploring? There are two areas that make the most sense – a backup goaltender, and a scoring winger.

* * *

No question Aaron Dell has exceeded expectations in his first NHL season. He’s 7-3-1 with a 1.95 GAA and .934 SP in 12 games, and his .953 even-strength save percentage is tops in the league among goalies that have played at least 10 games.

Still, it’s unknown if Dell would be able to handle the day-to-day grind, if anything were to happen to Jones. Even in the minors last season when he earned the number one job with the Barracuda, he wasn’t playing three and four games a week due to the AHL’s Pacific Division having fewer games than the rest of the league. He’s also not been overly tested at the NHL level – of Dell’s 10 starts, only one has come against a team currently in playoff position, and the Calgary Flames are only barely in the second Wild Card spot.

There are some goalies thought to be trade bait as pending unrestricted free agents. They include Tampa Bay’s Ben Bishop, Winnipeg’s Ondrej Pavalec, the Islanders’ Jaroslav Halak, or Philadelphia goalies Steve Mason and Michal Neuvirth. All could likely be gotten for some combination of young players and/or draft picks.

But is it worth it for the Sharks to make a move for a player that might not even be needed in the postseason? According to one NHL analyst, the Sharks should just take their chances with the inexperienced North Dakota product.

“I probably wouldn’t put a whole lot of resources in [finding a backup goalie],” NBCSN analyst Keith Jones told CSN on the latest Sharks Insider Podcast. “If Martin Jones was injured you’d have a real problem, it would be tough to find a goalie to replace what he brings to the table. I know they tried James Reimer last year, and the book is out on him. … I’m not sure that that’s a major upgrade on Aaron Dell.”

That said, Keith Jones would like to see Martin Jones – who’s on pace to play 69.5 games – get more time off after the schedule resumes. That means increased playing time for Dell.

“I think you might just want to take a chance with your backup a little more frequently,” Jones said. “You may want to sacrifice a few games along the way. [Dell] gains some experience, and Jones gets some rest.”

The impression here is that the Sharks will probably stick with Dell. Sharks coach Pete DeBoer has been nothing short of glowing in his reviews of Dell lately, as well he should be. The goalie has earned his place on this team, and none of the other goalies that the Sharks could acquire would be obvious upgrades at this stage of the season.

* * *

A much stronger case can be made that the Sharks are in need of another scoring winger. 

While the offense has been more dangerous in recent weeks than it was over the first half of the season, it still doesn’t look as effective as it was last season going into the playoffs, when it finished fourth in the league. Yes, the power play has been relatively power-less, but there’s more to it than that.

Mikkel Boedker has been a disappointment after signing a four-year deal as a free agent, and was benched yet again on Sunday. Joonas Donskoi, still out with what looks like a shoulder injury, hasn’t taken that next step after his strong playoff run last season. Joel Ward is off his scoring pace from last year. Patrick Marleau has been outstanding, but remains streaky. Kevin Labanc and Timo Meier have done some nice things as rookies, but neither of them has “arrived” yet, to borrow a word commonly used by DeBoer. Nikolay Goldobin failed in his two-game tryout last week, too.

Finding a winger to play on the Joe Thornton-Joe Pavelski line should be a priority, as DeBoer has tried seven different wingers there this season without finding a permanent fit. 

Among the veterans that could be available are Dallas’ Patrick Sharp, Arizona’s Shane Doan, Colorado’s Jarome Iginla, or even Vancouver’s Alex Burrows or Jannik Hansen, if the club is looking for a more agitating type.

Sharp is perhaps the most intriguing name on that list. Although he’s been hurt off and on this season and his numbers are down on a bad Dallas team, he’s a veteran scorer that has won three Stanley Cups as part of Chicago’s dynasty. He’s an obvious upgrade over the players that have rotated through the Thornton line.

Bringing in one of those aforementioned forwards would require some salary cap juggling (especially Sharp, who carries a $5.9 million cap hit) and perhaps a salary from the current roster going the other way, as the Sharks don’t have a whole lot of room right now. But it’s worth exploring, as a consistent offensive attack should be this team’s biggest worry right now with seven weeks until the postseason.

* * *

If the Sharks don’t make a move, DeBoer and company are still confident with the team in the dressing room. After all, most of those players were a part of the team’s run last season, when the Sharks were just two wins from capturing the Stanley Cup.

“For us, it’s not whether a piece comes in or whether we don’t bring any pieces in, I think we’re confident in our group,” DeBoer said. “It’s about us…playing to our identity for as long a stretch as is possible, because that’s what wins in the playoffs. Whether we don’t do anything or whether a piece comes in here, I don’t think that mindset changes.”

Justin Braun said: “Management is going to do what they’re going to do, but if they don’t do anything, we have confidence with everyone in here to get the job done.”

Report: Warriors GM Bob Myers was Lakers' No. 1 target

Report: Warriors GM Bob Myers was Lakers' No. 1 target

On Tuesday morning, the Lakers made sweeping changes to their front office.

Magic Johnson is now the president of basketball operations and both general manager Mitch Kupchak and executive VP of basketball operations Jim Buss were fired.

Los Angeles -- looking to hire a new GM -- originally targeted Warriors GM Bob Myers, according to The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski.

But as Wojnarowski reports: "After Myers signed a recent contract extension, it became clear to Lakers brass that it would be unable to lure Myers."

In September, the Warriors promoted Myers from general manager to president of basketball operations/general manager.

Myers was named the NBA Executive of the Year following the 2014-15 season.