Paterno's family wants Sandusky emails released

584158.jpg

Paterno's family wants Sandusky emails released

From Comcast SportsNet
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Joe Paterno's family has called on Pennsylvania's attorney general and former FBI Director Louis Freeh to release all emails and records related to their investigations into the Penn State child sex-abuse scandal, saying a leaker or leakers have used selective emails to "smear" the late coach and university officials. Family lawyer Wick Sollers' statement Monday followed news reports of leaked emails between administrators about graduate assistant Mike McQueary's 2001 account of an encounter between former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky and a boy in the showers. CNN reported that one email outlined a change in plans among administrators after Athletic Director Tim Curley spoke to Paterno. "With the leaking of selective emails over the last few days, it is clear that someone in a position of authority is not interested in a fair or thorough investigation," Sollers said in the strongly worded statement. Sollers represents the family of former coach Paterno, who was fired in November and died of cancer less than three months later. Freeh is leading the school's internal investigation into the scandal. The release of the emails, Sollers said, was "not intended to inform the discussion, but to smear former Penn State officials, including Joe Paterno. The truth is Joe Paterno reported the 2001 incident promptly and fully ... In spite of these facts, however, numerous pundits and critics are exploiting these disconnected and distorted records to attack Joe Paterno." Paterno, Sollers said, testified for eight minutes before the grand jury that approved charges and "told the truth to the best of his recollection." Paterno was not interviewed by the university, was not afforded due process or did not tell his story in full, and was not allowed to see the files or records now in question, the lawyer said. Sollers called for the immediate release of all emails and records related to the case, adding that "the public should not have to try and piece together a story from a few records that have been selected in a calculated way to manipulate public opinion." Spokespeople for Attorney General Linda Kelly didn't immediately return messages from The Associated Press after the Paterno family released its statement late Monday afternoon. But when asked about the leaks earlier Monday, Nils Frederiksen, a spokesman for the state attorney general's office, said: "We do not comment on potential grand jury materials, nor would any such materials be released by this office." A spokesman for Freeh declined to comment, as did a Penn State spokesman. The emails, first reported by NBC several weeks ago, were unearthed during the Freeh team's investigation, both the university and Freeh team have said, and were turned over to state prosecutors. They are expected to be discussed in Freeh's report, which is due this summer. Sandusky was convicted last month of 45 counts of sexually abusing 10 boys. The scandal led to the ousters of school President Graham Spanier and Hall of Fame coach Paterno. Curley and Gary Schultz, a retired school administrator who was in charge of overseeing campus police in 2001, have also been charged with lying to a grand jury and failing to report suspected abuse. They have maintained their innocence. Spanier has not been charged, and prosecutors have said Paterno was not a target of the investigation. CNN reported on the content of the emails on Saturday. The emails showed that Curley and Schultz intended to report the allegation, then reconsidered, according to CNN, and that Spanier responded that he was "supportive" of their plan, but he worried they might "become vulnerable for not having reported it." The change came after Curley spoke to Paterno, as referenced in Curley's email to Spanier, according to the report. Spanier sued Penn State in May to try to get copies of his email traffic from 1998 to 2004, citing the pending investigation being conducted by Freeh. Lawyers for Penn State have asked a judge to throw out the lawsuit and said the attorney general's office, which is prosecuting Curley and Schultz, had asked them not to provide Spanier with the emails. The Paterno family does not know the source of the leaks, Sollers said. Paterno himself was known for his abhorrence for using email and cellphones, let alone modern communication tools like Twitter. "The question that needs to be asked is why this breach of confidentiality ... is not being objected to or otherwise addressed by those in a position of authority," Sollers said. "It should not be the responsibility of the Paterno family to call for an honest, independent investigation. Given the seriousness and complexity of this case, everyone should be demanding the full truth, not just carefully selected excerpts of certain emails." Sollers said Paterno didn't fear the truth and had asked his family and advisers to "pursue the full truth. ... It is the course that we will follow to the end."

Giants Notes: Span feeling better, hopes to return to lineup Wednesday

csnpost.jpg

Giants Notes: Span feeling better, hopes to return to lineup Wednesday

CHICAGO -- Joe Panik's leadoff homer in the series opener was a jolt, but the Giants are a much more dangerous offense when Denard Span is clicking atop the lineup, a spot ahead of Panik, and they hope to have that duo going Wednesday. Span got treatment all day Tuesday and said he could return to the lineup against Kyle Hendricks. 

"The swelling has gone down," Span said of his sprained left thumb. "The thing to do is to come in tomorrow, test it out, and if it feels good, you strap it on."

Span said an X-ray came back clean, but he didn't grab a bat Tuesday to test the thumb, focusing instead on treatment. He is batting .326 in nine games since coming off the DL. His replacement in center this week, Gorkys Hernandez, was 0-for-3 against Jon Lester, lowering his average to .160. 

--- The main story from the second game of this series: Johnny Cueto is now dealing with a second blister, and you can see the lack of movement on his pitches. The Cubs took advantage. Lester didn't need much help while throwing a 99-pitch complete game in two hours and five minutes. 

"He threw a lot more changeups than we've seen in the past," Buster Posey said. "He's shown it in the past but tonight he had good command of it. It wasn't just a show-me pitch. He used it a lot and threw it to lefties as well.

Posey twice grounded short rollers in front of the plate.

--- Posey's throw to nab Javy Baez on Monday was one of the best of the year, and on Tuesday afternoon, Bruce Bochy said, "If he's given a chance, I don't think there's anyone better in the game." That might be true, but Willson Contreras is threatening to get into the conversation. He threw an 85 mph rocket to second in the fifth to nab Eduardo Nuñez. If you're wondering how Lester -- who flat-out has the yips about throwing to first base and doesn't do it -- has allowed just six stolen bases this season, look no further than his young catcher. Long-term, Contreras is the guy I would expect to compete with Posey for Gold Gloves. 

"Nuney, with his speed, can go," Bochy said. "Their catcher made a great throw. Put it right on the money."

--- From before Tuesday's game, what do the relievers think of the new hidden bullpen at Wrigley? And if you missed the Power Rankings the other day, the records are outdated, but there are updates in here on old friends Matt Duffy, Chris Heston, Tommy Joseph, Adalberto Mejia, Yusmeiro Petit and others. Petit in particular is incredible ... just keeps doing his thing. 

--- This play was made by the shortstop. That's good for the old UZR.

Injuries to Hahn, Alonso compound A's loss to Marlins

Injuries to Hahn, Alonso compound A's loss to Marlins

OAKLAND — Their pitching staff got banged up throughout the night, but the A’s hope the only lasting damage they absorbed Tuesday night was on the scoreboard.

In the process of an 11-9 defeat to the Miami Marlins, they lost starting pitcher Jesse Hahn to a strained triceps and first baseman Yonder Alonso to a contusion on his right hand and wrist.

The early diagnosis showed they may have dodged a bullet with Alonso — X-rays came back negative for a fracture after he was hit flush in the wrist area on a pitch from lefty Jarlin Garcia. Alonso initially walked off the field after being hit, but after a few moments re-emerged and took first base to run. He was replaced on defense in the seventh.

“I’ve had some history with my hand,” Alonso said afterward. “I broke it three or four years ago. At the time when I got hit, I felt like that was the case all over again. The pain started going away, that’s when I realized I think I’m OK.”

Alonso’s wrist and hand began to swell while he was running the bases, and he had to exit the game. The first baseman had missed the four previous games with a sore left knee, then proceeded to homer in his first at-bat Tuesday, pulling him back into a tie with Khris Davis for the team homer lead at 13. Suffering another injury in the same game could be classified as rotten timing, but Alonso came away feeling fortunate all things considered.

“I think we got very lucky,” he said. “It got me right on the wrist but a little bit on the hand as well. We’re lucky that there’s no break. You just gotta move forward.”

Manager Bob Melvin said Alonso would be a game-time decision for whether he’ll start Wednesday afternoon’s series finale, but with the A’s off Thursday, it wouldn’t be a surprise if they rested Alonso in an attempt to let him heal up for Friday’s road trip opener against the Yankees.

Hahn’s condition seems more ambiguous, and perhaps more troubling. He said he felt fine warming up before Tuesday’s game, but when he took the mound to warm up before the third, he experienced a drop in velocity and couldn’t figure out why.

“I experienced some tightness near my triceps and a big velocity decrease,” Hahn said. “The ball wasn’t coming out (well) at all. It was a weird feeling. I’ve dealt with elbow (problems) before. Usually for me when I have elbow pain I can feel it on my pitches, and I didn’t feel it. It was kinda weird. … It almost felt like a dead arm.”

Hahn gave up a leadoff single to Christian Yelich in the third, then was taken out of the game. Afterward, he and the training staff discussed the possibility of getting an MRI but nothing had been set in stone.

“I’m throwing the ball as hard as I can and I see 89-90 on the board,” Hahn said. “I know something’s not right. But at the same time, I’m not feeling anything. It leaves you thinking. To be in that state of mind on the mound is not good.”

Should the A’s need to fill Hahn’s rotation spot the next time through, and should they want to dip into the minor league ranks, Daniel Mengden is on the same turn with Triple-A Nashville and threw seven scoreless innings Tuesday (81 pitches). He’s on the 40-man roster. Jharel Cotton and Daniel Gossett also are coming off great outings for Nashville, though their turns in the rotation don’t line up as good with Hahn’s.