Despite being in New Orleans at the height of the Saints' "BountyGate" scandal, Raiders coach Dennis Allen appears to have been spared the wrath of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.But that does not mean questions are not still swirling about, what with Allen having been the Saints' secondary coach at the time.As such, Allen was asked on SiriusXM NFL radio this week his feelings on the gathering storm."In general, I feel badly for everybody that's been involved with the whole situation," Allen said. "It's kind of an unfortunate situation. But the commissioner's made it clear that those type of practices are not acceptable and I support his decisions and what he decided to do from a punishment standpoint."Goodell suspended New Orleans coach Sean Payton for the season, general manager Mickey Loomis for eight games, assistant head coach Joe Vitt for six games and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who ran the bounty system but is now in St. Louis, indefinitely. The Saints were also fined 500,000 and were stripped of second-round draft picks in the 2012 and 2013 drafts."It is very clear," Goodell told the NFL Network. "We have a serious violation of an existing rule that threatens the health and welfare of our players. In addition, this went on for three years and it was investigated. We were misled. There were denials throughout that period."Meanwhile, there continued to be risks to our players and to the integrity of our game. So it calls for a very significant and clear message."Allen insists he heard said messageloud and clear."You can play this game in a physical manner without the intent to injure," he said. "And I think that's really, at the end of the day, what the NFL is trying to accomplish."
ALAMEDA – Gareon Conley’s name has been sullied, at least temporarily. He feared it would be long enough to send him free falling down the NFL Draft.
The Ohio State cornerback and top-15 prospect was accused of rape stemming from an April 9 incident in Cleveland, an allegation he called “completely false.”
The Raiders clearly believe him. That’s why they drafted him No. 24 overall on Thursday evening, and expect him to be a long-term solution in their secondary.
Conley wasn’t sure how far he’d fall after being beaten down by one rough week, when the allegation went public. Reggie McKenzie’s first-round selection and subsequent call was more emotional than expected.
“It made it 10 times more special,” Conley said Thursday night in a conference call. “Just having that doubt in my mind, just not knowing (how far I would fall). Just having faith and having doubt, I didn’t know what was going to happen. When it came, it shocked me. It felt unreal, honestly. It still feels unreal.”
Being a top pick was expected after an excellent career at Ohio State. The rape accusation threatened to destroy his draft-day dreams. Conley has not been arrested or charged in relation to the incident, though an investigation is ongoing.
Conley said he volunteered to take a polygraph test that was shared with NFL teams, and reportedly passed the one he took. He said in a statement there are witnesses and video evidence proving he didn’t do anything illegal.
Conley spent the last few days trying to proclaim his innocence.
He is scheduled to meet with Cleveland police on Monday to discuss the April 9 incident -- he'll also submit a DNA sample, according to ESPN -- where group sex was suggested and a woman claimed she was sexually assaulted.
Conley believes his name will be cleared in time.
“I’m very confident it will be resolved," Conley said. "I took a test today that helps. Then when I made my statement and all the evidence that I have, I feel confident it’ll be resolved.”
Conley admits he shouldn’t have put himself in a compromising position, which occurred at a Cleveland hotel earlier this month.
“I could’ve made way better judgment,” Conley said. “I mean, I didn’t know what I was getting myself into, but I definitely could’ve made a better decision.”
Conley hopes to move beyond it quickly and start focusing on football. He is scheduled to fly west for a press conference on Friday.
Conley is thankful to the Raiders for believing in him despite his recent troubles.
“It’s off the charts, honestly,” Conley said. “Just to know that they have faith in me, not even just as a football player but as a person like that, it speaks highly of them, and I really appreciate it. It’s an honor to be a part of the Raider organization.”
ALAMEDA -- The Raiders used the No. 24 overall pick on Ohio State cornerback Gareon Conley. This wasn’t a second-round flier or a late-round gamble.
That’s a first-round pick. Rolling the dice this early is ill advised. The Raiders don't believe they did with a selection accompanied by a $5.78 million signing bonus, $10.5 million in total money and a valuable fifth-year option to keep a player in town.
They wouldn’t risk such an asset on someone in serious legal trouble. The Raiders did significant research on Conley, who was accused of rape earlier this week, before making a selection. Results gave the Raiders confidence in their choice.
Conley has not been arrested or charged over an allegation that stems from an April 9 interaction in a Cleveland hotel.
Conley said the accusations are “completely false,” in a statement released by his agent. He claims to have witnesses and video evidence that he didn’t do anything illegal during an exchange where group sex was suggested. He is scheduled to meet with Cleveland police about the allegation and an investigation into it on Monday.
Conley said he took and passed polygraph test prior to the draft, hoping to avoid a free fall into the draft’s later rounds.
The Raiders clearly believe him. They wouldn’t have used such a high pick on the Ohio State cornerback otherwise. Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said the team thoroughly investigated the matter, and felt comfortable using a high pick on someone who sat alone atop their draft board at No. 24 overall.
“We did our due diligence throughout this whole process,” McKenzie said Thursday night, after making the Conley pick. “We trust our research, reports, everything that we have on Mr. Conley. We feel really good about picking Gareon Conley and having him join the Raiders team and having him be a great teammate for our players.”
McKenzie didn’t detail the Raiders research efforts, but didn’t seem concerned about this off-field issue.
“I don’t want to get into all the details,” McKenzie said, “but the bottom line is that we’ve done miles and miles of research to make sure we were totally comfortable with our decision, which we were.”
McKenzie said he spoke with owner Mark Davis about Conley, as he does most first-round options.
The Raiders were impressed by Conley’s workouts and his game tape. The rape accusation obviously gave the NFL pause regarding his draft status, and he slipped somewhat in the first round.
The Raiders are confident following an internal investigation that his legal troubles will pass without incident.
“The research was done,” McKenzie said. "It wasn’t just a gut (feeling). It was based on research, and we’re very confident in all the information that we got.”