Campbell to start for Raiders against Chargers

Campbell to start for Raiders against Chargers

Dec. 1, 2010GUTIERREZ ARCHIVERAIDERS PAGE RAIDERSVIDEOPaul GutierrezCSNCalifornia.com

ALAMEDA -And now, for the latest Semantics Dance emanating from Silver andBlackdom.Recently re-installed starting quarterback JasonCampbell, who has won the job backbecause of BruceGradkowski's re-injured right shoulder, insists he hasnot been benched this season. Well, at least not benched threetimes.
The way he sees it, it's only been once - at halftime of theRaiders' home opener against St. Louis.
"ThePittsburgh game, I was notbenched," Campbellclaimed. "I was taken out for reasons of being hit a lot and differentthings."OK, then, what about this past weekend, when Gradkowski started againstMiamidespite coach Tom Cable saying after the Steelers loss you would remainundercenter?"I expected to come back the next week weekend and start, but like Isay,the situation came up where they felt like Bruce was healthy," Campbellsaid. "Andcoach said he's a man of his word and that's what he's goingto stick by. I wasn't benched not playing the Miami game, but justbecause (Cable) wassticking by what he had said."Got it? Good. Then that makes at least one of us.
GUTIERREZ: Confusing QB Carousel Because even while Cable said after the Dolphins loss and then againMondaythat Gradkowski's re-injured shoulder would probably keep him out thisweek, and then rumors surfaced he could be lost for the season,Gradkowski wason the field Wednesday.Granted, he was not practicing, but he was not prepping forseason-endingsurgery, either.In fact, Gradkowski had acknowledged earlier in the day the MRI takenMondayrevealed the same Grade-3 shoulder separation he suffered on Oct.10.
"I'm just trying to get right," he said.
RELATED: Gradkowski: 'Don't count the season out' And Campbell istrying to get comfortable - again."You don't like to see anyone get hurt in this game," Campbell said. "Itgoes beyond the game. But here I am again, up here, another opportunityto goout here and play. Another opportunity to go fight and win a game.That'swhat you have to keep your focus on.The bonus for Campbell, of course, is that hedoes not feel as though he has to look over his shoulder after everybad playSunday in San Diego."It's just a situation you have to deal with," he said. "Any quarterback doesn't want to be in a situation like that, butat the same time, you can't mope or complain about anything like that.You have to go out there and execute the offense and do it to the bestof yourability."Cable was asked, point blank, mind you, if Campbell was the starterthis weekend in SanDiego (no doubt he will be asked again Thursday and Friday)."He is," Cable said.Then is Gradkowski healthy enough to be the No. 3 quarterback, behindCampbelland KyleBoller?"We'll see about that," Cable said. "He is sore, noworse for wear in terms of damage from before. But if he took anothershot - we'll have to see how this goes.In other words, get your semantics dancing shoeson.What's your take? EmailPaul and let him know. He may use it in hisMailbag.

Raiders' first-round pick Conley opens up on emotions after off-field issues

Raiders' first-round pick Conley opens up on emotions after off-field issues

ALAMEDA – Gareon Conley’s name has been sullied, at least temporarily. He feared it would be long enough to send him free falling down the NFL Draft.

The Ohio State cornerback and top-15 prospect was accused of rape stemming from an April 9 incident in Cleveland, an allegation he called “completely false.”

The Raiders clearly believe him. That’s why they drafted him No. 24 overall on Thursday evening, and expect him to be a long-term solution in their secondary.

Conley wasn’t sure how far he’d fall after being beaten down by one rough week, when the allegation went public. Reggie McKenzie’s first-round selection and subsequent call was more emotional than expected.

“It made it 10 times more special,” Conley said Thursday night in a conference call. “Just having that doubt in my mind, just not knowing (how far I would fall). Just having faith and having doubt, I didn’t know what was going to happen. When it came, it shocked me. It felt unreal, honestly. It still feels unreal.”

Being a top pick was expected after an excellent career at Ohio State. The rape accusation threatened to destroy his draft-day dreams. Conley has not been arrested or charged in relation to the incident, though an investigation is ongoing.

Conley said he volunteered to take a polygraph test that was shared with NFL teams, and reportedly passed the one he took. He said in a statement there are witnesses and video evidence proving he didn’t do anything illegal.

Conley spent the last few days trying to proclaim his innocence. 

He is scheduled to meet with Cleveland police on Monday to discuss the April 9 incident -- he'll also submit a DNA sample, according to ESPN -- where group sex was suggested and a woman claimed she was sexually assaulted.

Conley believes his name will be cleared in time.

“I’m very confident it will be resolved," Conley said. "I took a test today that helps. Then when I made my statement and all the evidence that I have, I feel confident it’ll be resolved.”

Conley admits he shouldn’t have put himself in a compromising position, which occurred at a Cleveland hotel earlier this month.

“I could’ve made way better judgment,” Conley said. “I mean, I didn’t know what I was getting myself into, but I definitely could’ve made a better decision.”

Conley hopes to move beyond it quickly and start focusing on football. He is scheduled to fly west for a press conference on Friday.

Conley is thankful to the Raiders for believing in him despite his recent troubles.

“It’s off the charts, honestly,” Conley said. “Just to know that they have faith in me, not even just as a football player but as a person like that, it speaks highly of them, and I really appreciate it. It’s an honor to be a part of the Raider organization.”

McKenzie: Raiders did their 'due diligence' before drafting Gareon Conley

McKenzie: Raiders did their 'due diligence' before drafting Gareon Conley

ALAMEDA -- The Raiders used the No. 24 overall pick on Ohio State cornerback Gareon Conley. This wasn’t a second-round flier or a late-round gamble.

That’s a first-round pick. Rolling the dice this early is ill advised. The Raiders don't believe they did with a selection accompanied by a $5.78 million signing bonus, $10.5 million in total money and a valuable fifth-year option to keep a player in town.

They wouldn’t risk such an asset on someone in serious legal trouble. The Raiders did significant research on Conley, who was accused of rape earlier this week, before making a selection. Results gave the Raiders confidence in their choice. 

Conley has not been arrested or charged over an allegation that stems from an April 9 interaction in a Cleveland hotel.

Conley said the accusations are “completely false,” in a statement released by his agent. He claims to have witnesses and video evidence that he didn’t do anything illegal during an exchange where group sex was suggested. He is scheduled to meet with Cleveland police about the allegation and an investigation into it on Monday.

Conley said he took and passed polygraph test prior to the draft, hoping to avoid a free fall into the draft’s later rounds.

The Raiders clearly believe him. They wouldn’t have used such a high pick on the Ohio State cornerback otherwise. Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said the team thoroughly investigated the matter, and felt comfortable using a high pick on someone who sat alone atop their draft board at No. 24 overall.

“We did our due diligence throughout this whole process,” McKenzie said Thursday night, after making the Conley pick. “We trust our research, reports, everything that we have on Mr. Conley. We feel really good about picking Gareon Conley and having him join the Raiders team and having him be a great teammate for our players.”

McKenzie didn’t detail the Raiders research efforts, but didn’t seem concerned about this off-field issue.

“I don’t want to get into all the details,” McKenzie said, “but the bottom line is that we’ve done miles and miles of research to make sure we were totally comfortable with our decision, which we were.”

McKenzie said he spoke with owner Mark Davis about Conley, as he does most first-round options.

The Raiders were impressed by Conley’s workouts and his game tape. The rape accusation obviously gave the NFL pause regarding his draft status, and he slipped somewhat in the first round.

The Raiders are confident following an internal investigation that his legal troubles will pass without incident.

“The research was done,” McKenzie said. "It wasn’t just a gut (feeling). It was based on research, and we’re very confident in all the information that we got.”