McKenzie not fazed by 'out of whack' contracts

664718.jpg

McKenzie not fazed by 'out of whack' contracts

Reggie McKenzie made his mark in Green Bay as a talent evaluator, a personnel evaluator with a keen eye for undervalued -- and some say, underpaid -- talent.It's a skill that will be put to the test in Oakland as he begins his second month as the Raiders new general manager as he begins to cobble together a roster for incoming coach Dennis Allen. Especially with the fuzzy math and numbers crunching in which he'll have to engage come salary cap time."From where we are, we've got some contracts that are kind of out of whack," McKenzie said last week, following the media conference to introduce Allen. "But in my discussions and viewing the cap situation, we should be fine.
"At this point, in talking to our guys and seeing all the spreadsheets and stuff, we're going to be fine. We don't have to (make) wholesale (changes)."Meaning, McKenzie does not believe the Raiders will again have to re-structure contracts on a wide scale. A look then, at some of the more expensive contracts for 2012, courtesy of rotoworld.com. You decide what that might fit McKenzie's definition of "out of whack."
TE Kevin Boss: due 2 millionRG Cooper Carlisle: due 3 millionLB Aaron Curry: due 5.76 millionFS Hiram Eugene: due 2.25 millionDT John Henderson: due 4 millionWR Darrius Heyward-Bey: entering fourth year of five-year, 38.25-million deal with 23.5 million guaranteedFS Michael Huff: due 16 million over next three yearsCB Chris Johnson: due 3.5 millionDT Tommy Kelly: due 6 millionP Shane Lechler: due 3.8 millionMLB Rolando McClain: entering third year of five-year, 40-million deal with 23 million guaranteedRB Darren McFadden: due 5.65 millionQB Carson Palmer: due 12.5 million, with 5 million guaranteedCB Stanford Routt: due 5 million, plus another 5 million "signing bonus"DT Richard Seymour: due 7.5 million, plus another 7.5 million roster bonusLB Kamerion Wimbley: entering second year of five-year, 48 million contract, with 29 million guaranteed.

Oakland stadium authority director doesn't want Raiders in 2019

Oakland stadium authority director doesn't want Raiders in 2019

PHOENIX – The Raiders hope to play the next three years in the Bay Area before moving to Las Vegas. They were approved to relocate on Monday at the NFL owners meetings, but can’t leave right away because Las Vegas doesn’t have a suitable temporary NFL venue.

The Raiders have team options on one-year leases to play at Oakland Coliseum during the 2017 and 2018 seasons, and are expected to do exactly that. Owner Mark Davis said he’s open to negotiating a lease to play the 2019 season there as well before moving into new Vegas digs in 2020.

The Oakland Coliseum authority may not grant that request.

"I would say to you with the highest level of confidence, my opinion and recommendation and that of my board members, I don’t believe there is any appetite for a third season (in Oakland),” director of the Oakland Coliseum joint powers authority Scott McKibben told USA Today.

McKibben said hosting a Raiders game is a financial loss for the JPA.

If the Raiders can’t reach an agreement to play at the Oakland Coliseum in 2019, they have other options in the Bay Area, though none is ideal. They could play at Cal’s Memorial Stadium or use Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara as a last resort in the Bay Area, sources told CSN California reporter Scott Bair.

They could renovate UNLV’s Sam Boyd Stadium – locker room and security upgrades are mandatory – though the Raiders would prefer to avoid that route.

Raiders HC Jack Del Rio believes he could help Aldon Smith

Raiders HC Jack Del Rio believes he could help Aldon Smith

PHOENIX – Raiders edge rusher Aldon Smith has been banished from the NFL for over 16 months now as a repeat offender of the league’s substance abuse policy.

Commissioner Roger Goodell hasn’t ruled on Smith’s reinstatement application and it’s hard to imagine movement coming soon on that front after a pair of recent run-ins with the law.

He was reportedly involved in a domestic incident and was questioned by San Francisco police last month. Then he was a passenger in a vehicle that hit an unmarked police car on March 10, an incident where the driver was arrested on suspicion of DUI. Smith seemed out of sorts when interviewed by media after emerging from a San Francisco police station.

Smith’s banishment states he can’t have contact with Raiders personnel outside the director of player engagement, a stipulation head coach Jack Del Rio has criticized in the past.

He did so again Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings, saying it’s unfortunate the organization can’t support Smith during difficult times.

“It’s a little bit frustrating to not be able to be a part of the process,” Del Rio said. “My feel is that I could help him, but the experts know. The experts don’t allow that. We have to follow the rules.

“It does get frustrating to not be able to help a young man and provide support and provide structure. Somebody else has to make those decisions. It’s just out of my hands.”

The Raiders can’t petition for greater involvement, and are therefore in a wait-and-see mode regarding their troubled, yet talented player.

“He has to get himself together,” general manager Reggie McKenzie said. “(Smith’s status) is totally on the league office. They know more than what we know.”