McKenzie's 'short list' goes beyond Green Bay

637962.jpg

McKenzie's 'short list' goes beyond Green Bay

Last week, after the media conference that introduced Reggie McKenzie as the Raiders' first new general manager since Al Davis in 1963, Mark Davis told me he had seen McKenzie's "short list" for new coaching candidates.

Davis then chuckled.

Because while he was not going to give up any names on said list, Davis did say he did not think McKenzie was simply going to raid his old Green Bay stomping grounds for coaches to replace the fired Hue Jackson.

Apparently not. So add three more names to the Raiders' potential coaching candidate hat -- both Denver coordinators in Mike McCoy (offense) and Dennis Allen (defense) and New Orleans offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael Jr.And while ESPN reported the names, it also claimed that Carmichael had already interviewed for the job this past Friday, when the Saints were in the Bay Area for their playoff game against the 49ers. Thing is, that would have been against NFL protocol as coaches cannot interview for another job until their current team's season is over.So did the Raiders' McKenzie already commit a faux pas in his first week on the job?Not according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, which quoted Saints general manager Mickey Loomis as saying the interview did not happen but added that the Saints had indeed granted the Raiders permission to interview Carmichael.That brings the number to eight for names linked to the Raiders' vacancy, along with a bevy of Packers assistants in clubhouse leader Winston Moss (assistant head coachinside linebackers), Dom Capers (defensive coordinator), Darren Perry (secondarysafeties) and Joe Philbin (offensive coordinator), as well as former Miami Dolphins interim coach Todd Bowles.

Oakland stadium authority director doesn't want Raiders in 2019

Oakland stadium authority director doesn't want Raiders in 2019

PHOENIX – The Raiders hope to play the next three years in the Bay Area before moving to Las Vegas. They were approved to relocate on Monday at the NFL owners meetings, but can’t leave right away because Las Vegas doesn’t have a suitable temporary NFL venue.

The Raiders have team options on one-year leases to play at Oakland Coliseum during the 2017 and 2018 seasons, and are expected to do exactly that. Owner Mark Davis said he’s open to negotiating a lease to play the 2019 season there as well before moving into new Vegas digs in 2020.

The Oakland Coliseum authority may not grant that request.

"I would say to you with the highest level of confidence, my opinion and recommendation and that of my board members, I don’t believe there is any appetite for a third season (in Oakland),” director of the Oakland Coliseum joint powers authority Scott McKibben told USA Today.

McKibben said hosting a Raiders game is a financial loss for the JPA.

If the Raiders can’t reach an agreement to play at the Oakland Coliseum in 2019, they have other options in the Bay Area, though none is ideal. They could play at Cal’s Memorial Stadium or use Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara as a last resort in the Bay Area, sources told CSN California reporter Scott Bair.

They could renovate UNLV’s Sam Boyd Stadium – locker room and security upgrades are mandatory – though the Raiders would prefer to avoid that route.

Raiders HC Jack Del Rio believes he could help Aldon Smith

Raiders HC Jack Del Rio believes he could help Aldon Smith

PHOENIX – Raiders edge rusher Aldon Smith has been banished from the NFL for over 16 months now as a repeat offender of the league’s substance abuse policy.

Commissioner Roger Goodell hasn’t ruled on Smith’s reinstatement application and it’s hard to imagine movement coming soon on that front after a pair of recent run-ins with the law.

He was reportedly involved in a domestic incident and was questioned by San Francisco police last month. Then he was a passenger in a vehicle that hit an unmarked police car on March 10, an incident where the driver was arrested on suspicion of DUI. Smith seemed out of sorts when interviewed by media after emerging from a San Francisco police station.

Smith’s banishment states he can’t have contact with Raiders personnel outside the director of player engagement, a stipulation head coach Jack Del Rio has criticized in the past.

He did so again Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings, saying it’s unfortunate the organization can’t support Smith during difficult times.

“It’s a little bit frustrating to not be able to be a part of the process,” Del Rio said. “My feel is that I could help him, but the experts know. The experts don’t allow that. We have to follow the rules.

“It does get frustrating to not be able to help a young man and provide support and provide structure. Somebody else has to make those decisions. It’s just out of my hands.”

The Raiders can’t petition for greater involvement, and are therefore in a wait-and-see mode regarding their troubled, yet talented player.

“He has to get himself together,” general manager Reggie McKenzie said. “(Smith’s status) is totally on the league office. They know more than what we know.”