NFL fines Seymour 30K for punch

608518.jpg

NFL fines Seymour 30K for punch

Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour was fined 30,000 by the NFL for throwing a punch in last week's game with the Dolphins.

Seymour was ejected last week after striking Miami's Richie Incognito. It was the second time in as many seasons he's been sent packing.

Replays showed Seymour throwing a quick left hook to Incognito's neck and a quick right open hand to his facemask away from the ball.

It was the most costly of the fines handed down by the league following Week 13.

New England linebacker Jerod Mayo was fined 25,000 for a hit on Colts' quarterback Dan Olovsky. Detroit tight end Brandon Pettigrew also received a 25,000 fine. He was cited for bumping into a referee while trying to get to Saints safety Roman Harper.

Last year Seymour was ejected and fined 25,000 for hitting Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the helmet.

After Sunday's game Seymour made this statement:

"I apologize to my teammates, coaching staff and the organization, also the Raider Nation. I'm disappointed that I wasn't there to finish the game with my teammates. I think that its an emotional game and I shouldn't have let my emotions get the best of me. No excuses."

Seymour was tossed with 5:46 remaining in the third quarter and the Raiders trailing 20-0. Two plays later, Miami quarterback Matt Moore scored from six yards out. Seymour had no statistics, meaning, no tackles.

"As I told him, he can't get kicked out," Raiders coach Hue Jackson said after the game. "He's one of the rocks of this football team. You can never do something to get yourself kicked out of the game when you're one of the leaders of this football team."

Raiders select CB Gareon Conley with No. 24 pick in the 2017 NFL Draft

Raiders select CB Gareon Conley with No. 24 pick in the 2017 NFL Draft

GAREON CONLEY
Position: Cornerback
College: Ohio State
Height: 6 feet
Weight: 195 pounds
Selection: First round, No. 24 overall

ALAMEDA – Ohio State cornerback was widely considered a top-15 talent entering this year’s NFL Draft. His stock took a free-fall this week, after being accused of rape.

Conley called the accusation “completely false,” in a statement issued Wednesday by his agent.

Conley has not been charged or arrested over the allegation, which stems from an interaction on April 9 at a Cleveland hotel.

The Raiders wouldn’t have made this first-round selection without doing extensive research on Conley’s legal status. They must feel confident Conley will be absolved of wrongdoing.

Conley is a quality football player and an excellent cover man. He has the size Raiders covet in cornerbacks, and allowed just 37 percent of his passes to be completed. Conley allowed just 14 catches for 159 yards last season, and an NFL passer rating of 14.0, according to analytics site Pro Football Focus. That was the best in college football last season.

Analysts say he’s good at making plays on the football, whether it’s batting down passes or intercepting passes. Conley excels in press-man coverage, but can work well in a zone as well. He diagnoses plays well, which allows him to make plays on the ball.

The Raiders need depth and competition at cornerback after Sean Smith and David Amerson weren’t as solid as expected in 2016.

Conley could be upgrade the secondary in 2017 and beyond if he lives up to his on-field potential.

Tom Hanks rants about Raiders leaving Oakland for Las Vegas

Tom Hanks rants about Raiders leaving Oakland for Las Vegas

Tom Hanks went to Skyline High School in Oakland.

He is not happy that the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas.

“When the Raiders leave, I am going on an NFL moratorium for two years," Hanks said on Monday night, according to Peter Hartlaub of The San Franicsco Chronicle. "You cannot take the Silver and Black, put them in an air-conditioned dome in the desert, make them play on artificial turf within a stone’s throw of the fountains of Caesar’s Palace, and call them the Raiders.

“Here’s the thing I don’t quite understand. And I’m not trying to -- this isn’t one of the causes I’m fighting for. I’m just thinking as a fan: It’s a billion-dollar industry, they have billion-dollar TV contracts. All the owners are billionaires. And yet when they want to build a stadium they’re going to use for 10 weeks out of the year, they expect the city taxpayers to buy the building.

“The only good thing that is going to come out of the Oakland Raiders leaving -- and there is nothing good that will come out of that, by the way -- is that the Oakland A’s might get their own ballpark.

“I must say I hate that frigging D.H. rule. I always have, ever since that bastard Charlie Finley installed it. We’re not proud of that over on the other side of the East Bay.”

The Raiders' new stadium in Las Vegas is scheduled to open in 2020.