Raiders 2017 free agent tracker

Raiders 2017 free agent tracker

The Raiders enter free agency hoping to fortify a talented roster with some veteran improvements. General manager Reggie McKenzie generally made smart moves this time last year, which brought productive players into the fray. The NFL’s 2016 executive of the year spent in the right spots, avoided some pratfalls and helped the Raiders construct a team worthy of last season’s 12-4 record.

McKenzie will likely be less active this year, though some important needs can still be filled with veteran imports. That effort started at 9 a.m. Tuesday, the beginning of a two-day window where teams can speak with a free agent’s representative to start working on terms of a deal that can be formally executed on Thursday afternoon.

Those are the rules, which are surely broken across the league. Terms will be agreed upon over the next few days, as the Raiders contact prospective employees and try to get them to play in silver and black.

Here’s a feed of Raiders activity in free agency that will be updated regularly in the coming days. Check back often. It’s going to be a busy week.

Sunday, March 4

4:47 a.m.: The Boston Globe reports that the Raiders are among four teams with interest in New England tight end Martellus Bennett. The versatile talent has made it clear he’s looking for top dollar entering free agency, but has the size and athleticism to be a real offensive force.

Tuesday, March 7

10:47 a.m.: The Chicago Sun Times reports the Bears are among four teams with interest in signing Raiders receiver Andre Holmes. The 49ers and Lions are in the group. It's been long known the Raiders would like to re-sign Holmes, who has become an excellent special teams player while providing excellent depth as a fourth receiver. Holmes said after the season he hoped to remain in Oakland, but the promise of more offensive snaps in Chicago -- he's from Illinois -- or San Francisco may be appealing to the 28-year old. 

2:34 p.m.: NFLN reporter Stacey Dales, citing a source close to running back Adrian Peterson, reports that the Raiders are an attractive landing spot in free agency. She also mentioned the Seahawks as a possible destination for the long-time Minnesota Viking. The Raiders have been linked to Peterson for several days now, since the Vikings declined his 2017 contract option. He might not be a perfect, three-down fit in Oakland's scheme, but Peterson's production and talent is undeniable. Terms of the contract would be key to a Raiders signing, especially considering the depth of rushing talent available in this year's NFL draft. ...The St. Paul Pioneer Press spoke to Peterson's father, who said the Raiders have expressed interest, and that running behind the Raiders offensive line is attractive to his son. 

Wednesday, March 8

7:47 a.m.: According to ESPN's Adam Caplan, the Raiders will let linebacker Malcolm Smith, tight end Mychal Rivera and quarterback Matt McGloin leave as unrestricted free agents. Those players were always expected to leave without a contract offer. That includes Smith, who started 30 games over the last two seasons. 

7:51 a.m.: Running back Adrian Peterson has interest in the Raiders but, per ESPN's Adam Caplan, the Raiders don't have the same level of interest in him. That interest could change if Peterson's asking price drops. 

8:18 a.m.: A league source told CSN Bay Area that the Raiders gave restricted free agent defensive lineman Denico Autry an orginal round tender. Autry was an undrafted free agent out of college, meaning the Raiders won't receive any compensation if they don't match an offer sheet from another team. If Autry remains in Oakland and plays under the tender, he'll make $1.79 million next season. 

10:10 a.m.: The Denver Broncos are interested in offensive tackle Menelik Watson, per Denver television station 9News. The Raiders, however, are trying to keep him in Oakland. The team likes his athletics and demeanor. He's a productive player when healthy, with tremendous upside the Raiders hope to keep on the right side of their offensive line. 

5:53 p.m.: CSN Bay Area confirms that former Raiders linebacker Malcolm Smith is talking about a new contract with teh 49ers. The Raiders were content to let Smith walk as an unrestricted free agent, and he might move to the South Bay on the first day of free agency. 

Thursday, March 9

12:16 p.m.: Defensive tackle Stacy McGee thanked the Raiders and Raiders fans for support over the first four years of his NFL career. The 2013 sixth-round pick did not include a destination in his farewell to Oakland. He was expected to test the open market as an unrestricted free agent, and he seems to have found another employer. 

1:15 p.m.: Special teams maven Daren Bates, who spent last season with the Raiders, has signed a three-year, $6 million deal with the Tennessee Titans, according to ESPN.

1:25 p.m.: Stacy McGee agrees to terms on a five-year, $25 million contract with Washington, according to NFL Network. The Raiders wanted him back, but that's much more than they would've been willing to pay. 

1:39 p.m.: Latavius Murray will visit the Seattle Seahawks, per ESPN.

1:46 p.m.: Top special teams player Bryden Trawick agreed on a contract with the Tennessee Titans, CBS Sports reported. Trawick flashed some ability playing strong safety at the end of his only season as a Raider, when he was use primarily in special teams coverage. The Raiders wanted him back, but a a two year deal worth up to $6.85 million was too much for the Silver and Black. 

3:13 p.m.: The Raiders are still in the mix to re-sign receiver Andre Holmes, a source told CSN Bay Area, though he has other suitors for his services. The Raiders want to bring him back, especially with some core special teams players signing elsewhere. 

7:43 p.m.: The Raiders offered contract tenders to three exclusive rights free agents a source told CSN Bay Area. Receiver Seth Roberts, offensive lineman Denver Kirkland and tight end Gabe Holmes will re-join the club next season. 

8:50 p.m.: Safety Nate Allen will visit the Miami Dolphins, the Miami Herald reported. Allen will look for an opportunity to start after being a reserve last season. He was a starter his first five NFL seasons after getting drafted by Philadelphia. 

Friday, March 10

5:36 a.m.: Former Raiders first-round pick DJ Hayden agreed on terms of a one-year contract worth up to $5.25 million, according to ESPN.

12:59 p.m.: Raiders right tackle Menelik Watson, a second-round pick in 2013, agreed to terms with the Denver Broncos, a source said, reportedly worth up to $18 million. 

1:17 p.m.: Safety Nate Allen is close to completing a deal with the Dolphins, the Miami Hearld reports. Allen visited that team's facility last night. He is from the southern part of Florida. 

1:21 p.m.: Minnesota receiver/return man Cordarrelle Patterson will visit the Raiders facility, according to the NFL Network. He previously visited Washington's football club, but left without a contract. He had a career-high 52 catches for 453 yards and two touchdowns last season, though his primary value comes on special teams. He has five kickoff return touchdowns in four years, and averages 30.4 yards per return in his career. The Raiders have looked hard for a dynamic return man. Patterson would certainly fit that bill. 

9:26 p.m.: The Raiders agreed on terms of a two-year contract with offensive lineman Marshall Newhouse, a league source told CSN Bay Area

Saturday, March 11

5:36 a.m.: The Raiders are among four teams to show "preliminary interest" in defensive tackle Dontari Poe, according to ESPN's Josina Anderson.

7:15 a.m.: Receiver Andre Holmes will visit the Lions, accordong to NFL Network. The Raiders remain hopeful that Holmes will return. 

1:36 p.m: Vikings receiver/return man Cordarrelle Patterson is expected to meet with the Raiders on Sunday, according to ESPN's Adam Caplan.

2:33 p.m.: Raiders free agent running back Latavius Murray is scheduled to meet with the Jaguars on Monday and the Seahawks Tuesday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Peterson blasts report over salary demands, outlines main objectives

Peterson blasts report over salary demands, outlines main objectives

Adrian Peterson played defense on Friday night.

Hours after a report suggesting that the four-time All-Pro running back was still a free agent due to salary demands, the former Viking posted a lengthy statement on Instagram along with a video of his running an agility drill.

"YOU CANT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR PEOPLE. The last thing I'm worried about is playing ball this coming season ... that WILL HAPPEN! It's not all about the money as EVERYONE is speculating here lately. You'd THINK these analysts spoke to me directly. When you don't know what's going on people will say anything to create or make a story! How prideful is it for me to put out ... I won't play for anything less than 8 million! But see, when you don't know a person or what they stand for it's easy to paint YOUR OWN PICTURE. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in! Here is something Straight from the horse's mouth ... finding the best fit & helping a team in a major way win a championship is my main objective! I'm in no rush. Let me eliminate questions or speculation as to why... I believe whole heartedly my God will land me right where I need to be to accomplish what I've asked from him PERIOD"

Early in the free agency period, the Raiders were linked to Peterson, but nothing came of those rumors.

The Raiders, in need of a feature back after Latavius Murray signed with the Vikings, are reportedly pursuing the possibility of luring Oakland-native Marshawn Lynch out of retirement.

Peterson was scheduled to make $18 million in 2017, but the Vikings declined to exercise his contract, making him a free agent. The 2012 NFL MVP turned 32 on March 21 and played in just three games in 2016 due to a major knee injury.

According to the ESPN report, Peterson was looking for a contract that paid him over $8 million in the first year of the deal.

YOU CANT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR PEOPLE. The last thing I'm worried about is playing ball this coming season ... that WILL HAPPEN! It's not all about the money as EVERYONE is speculating here lately. You'd THINK these analysts spoke to me directly. When you don't know what's going on people will say anything to create or make a story! How prideful is it for me to put out ... I won't play for anything less than 8 million! But see, when you don't know a person or what they stand for it's easy to paint YOUR OWN PICTURE. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in! Here is something Straight from the horse's mouth ... finding the best fit & helping a team in a major way win a championship is my main objective! I'm in no rush. Let me eliminate questions or speculation as to why... I believe whole heartedly my God will land me right where I need to be to accomplish what I've asked from him PERIOD

A post shared by Adrian L Peterson (@adrianpeterson) on

 

Oakland, Lott Group pen letter to NFL in last-ditch effort to keep Raiders

Oakland, Lott Group pen letter to NFL in last-ditch effort to keep Raiders

Through the office of mayor Libby Schaaf, the City of Oakland issued the following statement on Friday, revealing a letter they sent to the NFL a day earlier highlighting the viability and appeal of keeping the Raiders in Oakland.

***

OAKLAND, CA — Today, the City of Oakland, Alameda County, the Lott Group and Fortress, who have been working in concert to develop a fully-financed local stadium proposal for the Oakland Raiders, shared publicly documents detailing the strength of the Oakland plan.

Specifically, they made public for the first time, their most recent correspondence to the NFL. The letters and accompanying documents were sent in follow-up to a March 6, 2017 presentation Mayor Libby Schaaf and former NFL player and real estate investor Ronnie Lott made to the NFL’s Joint Stadium and Finance Committee that outlined the economic advantages to the league and the team of staying in Oakland.

[RELATED: Letter to NFL from Libby Schaaf, Lott Group]

“We’re not giving up in the fourth quarter,” said Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf. “Since I took office two years ago, I have been focused on taking a team-centered approach that is responsible to the Raiders, the NFL, the fans and the taxpayers of Oakland. We’ve been successful in doing the environmental clearance, aligning the City and the County which jointly own the land, engaging the league and bringing partners to the table in the Lott Group and Fortress who have the financial backing, compassion for this community and intimate knowledge of the game -- on and off the field -- to get a deal done. All that’s missing is the Raiders.”

“I know how passionate the Bay Area is about the Raiders,” said NFL Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott. “To rip this team away from Oakland for a second time would be heartbreaking and entirely unnecessary given that we have a viable option on the table that keeps them here and helps this community and the team grow. We have a sophisticated financial partner in Fortress. We have done the due diligence, and it is clear that the only fully-financed, ready-to-roll option for the Raiders is in Oakland.”

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, City Council President Larry Reid, whose district is home to the existing Coliseum and the proposed new stadium site, Lott Group partner and former NFL quarterback Rodney Peete and Fortress Managing Director Drew McKnight plan to gather with fans, local business leaders, nearby residents and other community members to demonstrate support for the Oakland stadium plan at events planned for Saturday, March 25. This is the day before NFL owners begin a series of meetings during which they are expected to discuss, and possibly vote on Raiders’ owner Mark Davis’ request to move the team to Las Vegas.

City of Oakland media services