Raiders ink QB Pryor to four-year deal

524430.jpg

Raiders ink QB Pryor to four-year deal

Aug. 25, 2011

GUTIERREZ ARCHIVE
RAIDERS PAGE RAIDERSVIDEO

Follow @PGutierrezCSN
Paul Gutierrez
CSNCalifornia.com

Three days after being selected by Oakland with a third-round pick in the NFL supplemental draft, former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor has shown up in Napa and signed his four-year rookie contract.

"He will be on the field in Napa tomorrow morning," the Raiders announced via Twitter at 11 p.m. on Thursday.

According to Pro Football Talk, Pryor, taken with the No. 18 pick of the third round, received a 586,000 signing bonus to go with the rookie deal, which, with the new rookie pay scale, should be for some 2.36 million.

The Raiders were off on Thursday and they break camp following a Friday morning practice at 11. Saturday, they have a closed walk-through practice in Alameda.

Coach Hue Jackson said Pryor will remain a quarterback, at least to start his NFL career.

GUTIERREZ: Why Pryor makes sense for Raiders now

"Obviously I need to work with him," Jackson said earlier this week. "What you see, you see on video tape. The guy had a very storied career at Ohio State. He can throw it, he can run it. He's smart, he's tough, he's played in big games.

"He's another young athlete that we'll add to the mix that will play quarterback and we'll work with him and get this guy to be a good player."

Pryor can begin practicing with team, and can play in exhibition games against New Orleans at the O.co Coliseum on Sunday, as doubtful as that might be, but perhaps more probable in Seattle on Sept. 2.

But a five-game suspension for "decisions that undermine the integrity of the eligibility rules for the NFL draft," which will cost him a reported 110,294 in base salary, ensues that will not lift until Oct. 10.

The Raiders were already without second- and fourth-round draft picks in next April's draft so their decision to use a third-rounder on Pryor has been widely criticized.

But in losing the likes of Nnamdi Asomugha, Zach Miller and Robert Gallery to free agency, the Raiders figure to be rewarded handsomely in the form of compensatory picks next year.

"We fully expect, with the compensatory picks that we will receive," said Raiders senior executive John Herrera, "we will have a formidable draft."

Donald Penn: Raiders players trust McKenzie will add right pieces

Donald Penn: Raiders players trust McKenzie will add right pieces

The Raiders were pretty darn good last season. A 12-4 record proved that point. There was plenty of talent on a team with a penchant for high-wire acts in victory that masked the fact there were holes on the roster.

They need to be filled for the Raiders to improve in 2017, and new players will be imported through free agency and the draft.

Left tackle Donald Penn is excited to see who gets added, but said there’s no doubt talent is coming to Oakland. He speaks for Raiders players, who have faith that general manager Reggie McKenzie will make the right moves.

“Things that Reggie has done in past drafts have been great, and we’re looking forward to seeing what he brings back towards us,” Penn said recently during an in-studio appearance on NFL Network. “We can’t wait to get back out there healthy. We’re ready to hit the football world with a storm.”

While new guys are coming, a few might head out. The Raiders have several unrestricted free agents. Penn wants to keep his guys around – he mentioned running back Latavius Murray by name -- though he has some ideas for McKenzie’s checklist.

The Raiders don’t need much with most key players under contract – the Raiders should be less active in free agency over past offseasons – but a few key components could put this team over the top.

“If we stick to Reggie’s plan, we’ll be great,” Penn said. “I know he’s going to have a great draft, add a couple little pieces here and there – maybe somebody in the secondary to help out a little bit.

"On offense, you could always use a weapon. Maybe we get another receiver to take (pressure off Michael Crabtree and Amari Cooper), but we have a good nucleus right now.”

Raiders LT Donald Penn: QB Derek Carr 'almost 100 percent'

Raiders LT Donald Penn: QB Derek Carr 'almost 100 percent'

Derek Carr is on the mend. The Raiders franchise quarterback had surgery to repair his fibula shortly after he broke it in a Week 16 victory over Indianapolis, and is recovering well during the offseason.

Carr insisted on intense rehab this winter in an attempt – however unlikely it may have been – to return should the Raiders have played in the Super Bowl. It slowed to a normal pace after the Raiders' loss at Houston in the postseason’s opening round, but those in contact with him say he’s making strides.

Left tackle Donald Penn was recently in contact with Carr, and provided an update on Monday during an in-studio appearance on NFL Network.

“I texted Derek (a few) days ago checking in,” Penn said, “and he said he’s almost 100 percent.”

Surgically-repaired broken filbulas take significant time to heal, and the Raiders plan to be conservative with their MVP candidate during the offseason. Derek Carr’s brother and NFL Network analyst David Carr, who was on set with Penn on Monday, said Derek could be back for offseason work.

“He’s doing good,” David Carr said. “He’s walking around already, stretching it out. You can’t do a lot for the bone, right? But he’s going to be back. He’s going to get a whole full offseason in. That’s going to be the best part.”