Raiders mulling franchise tag options

90316.jpg

Raiders mulling franchise tag options

Feb. 3, 2011GUTIERREZ ARCHIVERAIDERS PAGE RAIDERSVIDEOPaul Gutierrez
CSNCalifornia.com

The Raiders have not been shy in recent years about using the franchise andor transition tags to keep free agents they like in house.So with the NFLs senior vice president and general counsel Peter Rucco telling the Boston Globe teams can use the tag starting Feb. 10 for a two-week period, speculation has begun as to on which player the Raiders should use it.Especially since it had been thought the tags could not be used, what with the collective bargaining agreement expiring March 3 and the threat of a work stoppage looming.The CBA hasnt expired, and the CBA has the right to franchise players, Rucco told the Globe, so we are telling clubs that you have the right to franchise players, and then depending on what the new agreement says, that will take into account.The Raiders have 31 contracts expiring. Fourteen of them are from players who would be unrestricted free agents with the current CBA rules in place; seven more with five years of service time; and six that would be restricted free agents.GUTIERREZ: Eyeing Oakland's free-agent merry-go-round
Last year, the Raiders slapped the franchise tag on defensive tackle Richard Seymour and he earned 12.4 million for his Pro Bowl season (he pulled out early, though, with a strained hamstring).Hes the obvious candidate to be franchised again, though he would get a 120 pay increase as a result, bumping him to 14.88 million. Or, it would be the new franchise number, whichever is higher, and Macs Football blog says Seymour would get between 14.273 million and 15.57 million from the Raiders, depending upon which franchise tag (exclusivenon-exclusive) designation they place upon him.Owner Al Davis has already expressed a reluctance to pay All-Pro cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha 17 million, so would he go just under that for a defensive lineman? (Asomugha is not eligible to be tagged, as part of his contract voiding)It makes more financial sense to lock Seymour up to a longer-term deal, though he will be 32 years old next season.A very unscientific poll on Twitter found fans backing a franchising of Seymour, followed by tight end Zach Miller, running back Michael Bush and linebacker Kamerion Wimbley.A look then at the purported candidates to be franchised by the Raiders, should they choose to use the tag again:Seymour: It would be quick and dirty but might actually anger tweak Seymour, who seemingly wants more security than a one-year deal. Still, hed be paid handsomely. Almost too much. Just keep in mind that Davis has no issue in overpaying for players he likes.Miller: Coming off his fourth season, hed be a restricted free agent under current rules, meaning the Raiders would have first right of refusal in contract negotiations. Hes coming off his first Pro Bowl season and has led the Raiders in receptions the past three years running. The expected franchise number for tight ends for 2011 is 7.285 million, which would be a nice raise for Miller, who made 466,760 last season.Bush: Like Miller, Bush is a fourth-year guy who has shown flashes of being an every down back and was talked about glowingly by Davis in his media conference. But does Darren McFaddens breakout season make Bush expendable, or does McFaddens injury-prone past worry the Raiders enough to keep the two together? The expected franchise number for running backs for 2011 is 9.864 million. Bush also made a relatively paltry 466,760 in 2010.Wimbley: The first-year Raiders strong-side linebacker led Oakland in sacks with nine after coming over from Cleveland in a trade. He was part of the teams overhaul at linebacker with rookie Rolando McClain in the middle and Quentin Groves and rookie Travis Goethel sharing time on the weak side. The expected franchise number for linebackers in 2011 is 10.191 million. He made 685,000 last year.What'syour take? Email Pauland let him know. He may use it in his Mailbag.

Oakland stadium authority director doesn't want Raiders in 2019

nfl-generic.jpg

Oakland stadium authority director doesn't want Raiders in 2019

PHOENIX – The Raiders hope to play the next three years in the Bay Area before moving to Las Vegas. They were approved to relocate on Monday at the NFL owners meetings, but can’t leave right away because Las Vegas doesn’t have a suitable temporary NFL venue.

The Raiders have team options on one-year leases to play at Oakland Coliseum during the 2017 and 2018 seasons, and are expected to do exactly that. Owner Mark Davis said he’s open to negotiating a lease to play the 2019 season there as well before moving into new Vegas digs in 2020.

The Oakland Coliseum authority may not grant that request.

"I would say to you with the highest level of confidence, my opinion and recommendation and that of my board members, I don’t believe there is any appetite for a third season (in Oakland),” director of the Oakland Coliseum joint powers authority Scott McKibben told USA Today.

McKibben said hosting a Raiders game is a financial loss for the JPA.

If the Raiders can’t reach an agreement to play at the Oakland Coliseum in 2019, they have other options in the Bay Area, though none is ideal. They could play at Cal’s Memorial Stadium or use Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara as a last resort in the Bay Area, sources told CSN California reporter Scott Bair.

They could renovate UNLV’s Sam Boyd Stadium – locker room and security upgrades are mandatory – though the Raiders would prefer to avoid that route.

 

Raiders HC Jack Del Rio believes he could help Aldon Smith

Raiders HC Jack Del Rio believes he could help Aldon Smith

PHOENIX – Raiders edge rusher Aldon Smith has been banished from the NFL for over 16 months now as a repeat offender of the league’s substance abuse policy.

Commissioner Roger Goodell hasn’t ruled on Smith’s reinstatement application and it’s hard to imagine movement coming soon on that front after a pair of recent run-ins with the law.

He was reportedly involved in a domestic incident and was questioned by San Francisco police last month. Then he was a passenger in a vehicle that hit an unmarked police car on March 10, an incident where the driver was arrested on suspicion of DUI. Smith seemed out of sorts when interviewed by media after emerging from a San Francisco police station.

Smith’s banishment states he can’t have contact with Raiders personnel outside the director of player engagement, a stipulation head coach Jack Del Rio has criticized in the past.

He did so again Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings, saying it’s unfortunate the organization can’t support Smith during difficult times.

“It’s a little bit frustrating to not be able to be a part of the process,” Del Rio said. “My feel is that I could help him, but the experts know. The experts don’t allow that. We have to follow the rules.

“It does get frustrating to not be able to help a young man and provide support and provide structure. Somebody else has to make those decisions. It’s just out of my hands.”

The Raiders can’t petition for greater involvement, and are therefore in a wait-and-see mode regarding their troubled, yet talented player.

“He has to get himself together,” general manager Reggie McKenzie said. “(Smith’s status) is totally on the league office. They know more than what we know.”