Raiders

Report: Aldon Smith detained after car accident in San Francisco

Report: Aldon Smith detained after car accident in San Francisco

Raiders edge rusher Aldon Smith was reportedly involved in another run-in with the law Thursday morning.

Smith was detained by police in San Francisco for public intoxication, according to KTVU, and is expected to released when he is sober. No charges are expected. 

The suspended Raiders edge rusher was alledgedly one of two male passengers in a vehicle that crashed into an undercover police car near police headquarters around 8:30 a.m. on Thursday morning. Three police officers were in the car, and two were taken to the hospital for treatment. 

The driver, a female, was detained on suspicion of DUI. 

Smith denied invovlement in the incident when confronted by reporters after being released onto the San Francisco streets. 

"I didn't do anything," Smith told reporters. "I had to go handle something and talk to somebody, a friend who is locked up in there. That's what I went to go do."

Later in the interview Smith said his girlfriend was driving the SUV invovled in the incident. 

Smith has been banished by the NFL on Nov. 15, 2015 as a repeat offender of the league's substance abuse policy. He was eligible to return a calendar year later, but his reinstatement application was tabled despite a meeting between Smith, commissioner Roger Goodell and NFL officials. The NFL Network reported last month that Smith's case would be re-evaluated on March 15, and the pass rusher had a real shot to return if he followed a correct path. 

This latest incident and subsequent interview certainly won't help his case. Goodell is not required to rule on Smith's application on any set date. His banishement is technically indefinite. 

Smith repeatedly said he didn't do anything wrong. 

"If you guys want to talk about me, let's make these stories a little better and put me in a better spotlight," Smith said. "Let's stop making me seem like a (criminal). That's not who am. I'm a good person."

Lynch sits, Luani kneels during national anthem

nfl-generic.jpg

Lynch sits, Luani kneels during national anthem

OAKLAND -- Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch sat down during the national anthem prior to Saturday's preseason game versus the Los Angeles Rams, as he did the week before at Arizona. 

Lynch hasn't addressed his reason for sitting during the national anthem, an action several others have used to protest racial issues and the mistreatment of minorities in this country. He has sat intermitently during his career, while standing at attention and remaining in the locker room at others. 

Former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick popularized the movement last year by kneeling during the Star Spangled Banner. Lynch was retired in 2016, but voiced support for Kaepernick in an interview with Conan O'Briend. 

Lynch wasn't the only Raider making a gesture during the anthem. Rookie safety Shalom Luani kneeled during part of the song. Quarterback Derek Carr placed his hand on Khalil Mack's shoulder during the song. 

Seattle Seahawks defensive lineman Michael Bennett has been vocal about his protest while sitting through the anthem twice in as many preseason games. 

 

Raiders' Sean Smith charged with assault

Raiders' Sean Smith charged with assault

Raiders cornerback Sean Smith has been charged with assault, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced on Thursday.

The charge is for assault of his sister's boyfriend in Smith's hometown of Pasadena. Smith allegedly beat and stomped the boyfriend's head on the morning of July 4, 2017 in Old Town Pasadena, the district attorney said.

Smith faces formal felony counts of assault by means of force likely to produce great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury to the victim.

The 30-year old plans to fight the charges levied against him. 

"Sean maintains his innocence at this time," Smith's attorney, Daniel Rosenberg told NBC Sports Califorinia on Thursday evening. "We are going to be entering a plea of not guilty and fighting these charges."

A warrant was filed on Aug. 16. Smith's arriagnment is scheduled for Sept. 29. 

Smith was not present at Thursday's Raiders practice, the last session of training camp. He surrendered to Los Angeles County authorities, posted an $80,000 bond and has been released from custody.

If convicted as charged, Smith could face a maximum sentence of seven years in California prison. 

A Raiders spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The case is still under investigation by the Pasadena Police Department. 

This is another blow in a rough summer for Smith. He has struggled on the practice field during training camp and faces an off-field legal issue. Smith is guaranteed $9.5 million for the 2017 season. 

More to come...