March 7, 2011GUTIERREZ ARCHIVERAIDERS PAGE RAIDERSVIDEOPaulGutierrez
Another day, another report of a Raiders player being tendered before Thursdays deadline. And another wall of silence from Alameda.This time, its center Samson Satele who has been tendered, reported by the Oakland Tribune. It is thought to be an original-round tender because he was a second-round draft pick.With Satele a fourth-year player and rumors abounding that a new Collective Bargaining Agreement would start unrestricted free agency at four years, it appears as though the Raiders are merely doing what team senior executive John Herrera said late last week.Were doing things, he said on Friday, to protect our franchise.Theyre just not announcing much of anything.Satele, drafted out of Hawaii by Miami in 2007, was acquired by the Raiders in a trade in 2009. He seemingly struggled in former coach Tom Cables zone system and lost his job this training camp to rookie Jared Veldheer for the season opener.But Satele responded and finished strong, especially when the Raiders started using a more power-running scheme. But with new coach Hue Jacksons declaration to use the power exclusively this season, it appeared as though Satele, at 6-feet-3, 300 pounds, is a tad undersized for it.The tender to Satele, then, protects an offensive line in need of a reboot, what with left guard Robert Gallery announcing his intentions to leave and Veldheer and right guard Cooper Carlisle (again, another zone-blocking specialist) the only other starter still under contract. That is, if the tenders are even recognized in a new CBA.
The Raiders were pretty darn good last season. A 12-4 record proved that point. There was plenty of talent on a team with a penchant for high-wire acts in victory that masked the fact there were holes on the roster.
They need to be filled for the Raiders to improve in 2017, and new players will be imported through free agency and the draft.
Left tackle Donald Penn is excited to see who gets added, but said there’s no doubt talent is coming to Oakland. He speaks for Raiders players, who have faith that general manager Reggie McKenzie will make the right moves.
“Things that Reggie has done in past drafts have been great, and we’re looking forward to seeing what he brings back towards us,” Penn said recently during an in-studio appearance on NFL Network. “We can’t wait to get back out there healthy. We’re ready to hit the football world with a storm.”
While new guys are coming, a few might head out. The Raiders have several unrestricted free agents. Penn wants to keep his guys around – he mentioned running back Latavius Murray by name -- though he has some ideas for McKenzie’s checklist.
The Raiders don’t need much with most key players under contract – the Raiders should be less active in free agency over past offseasons – but a few key components could put this team over the top.
“If we stick to Reggie’s plan, we’ll be great,” Penn said. “I know he’s going to have a great draft, add a couple little pieces here and there – maybe somebody in the secondary to help out a little bit.
"On offense, you could always use a weapon. Maybe we get another receiver to take (pressure off Michael Crabtree and Amari Cooper), but we have a good nucleus right now.”
Derek Carr is on the mend. The Raiders franchise quarterback had surgery to repair his fibula shortly after he broke it in a Week 16 victory over Indianapolis, and is recovering well during the offseason.
Carr insisted on intense rehab this winter in an attempt – however unlikely it may have been – to return should the Raiders have played in the Super Bowl. It slowed to a normal pace after the Raiders' loss at Houston in the postseason’s opening round, but those in contact with him say he’s making strides.
Left tackle Donald Penn was recently in contact with Carr, and provided an update on Monday during an in-studio appearance on NFL Network.
“I texted Derek (a few) days ago checking in,” Penn said, “and he said he’s almost 100 percent.”
Surgically-repaired broken filbulas take significant time to heal, and the Raiders plan to be conservative with their MVP candidate during the offseason. Derek Carr’s brother and NFL Network analyst David Carr, who was on set with Penn on Monday, said Derek could be back for offseason work.
“He’s doing good,” David Carr said. “He’s walking around already, stretching it out. You can’t do a lot for the bone, right? But he’s going to be back. He’s going to get a whole full offseason in. That’s going to be the best part.”