Raiders

Source: Musgrave out, Downing to be Raiders offensive coordinator

Source: Musgrave out, Downing to be Raiders offensive coordinator

Raiders offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave’s contract was coming to an end. It will expire and not be renewed, a league source told CSN California Tuesday afternoon.

NFL Network first reported the news earlier in the day.

Continuity, however, is still in the cards with a different offensive coordinator. The Raiders will promote quarterbacks coach Todd Downing to that spot, the same league source said.

The offense improved in two seasons under Musgrave and finished as sixth in total yards and rushing yards and seventh in points scored. Derek Carr also played well in his second season in Musgrave’s system.

John Middlekauff first reported the news on Downing.

Downing is a considered an up-and-comer in the league and a bright offensive mind. The Raiders wanted to keep him in house. Downing has a close relationship with starting quarterback Derek Carr and is well respected in the locker room, which should allow for an easy transition to a new play caller.

According to theMMQB.com, the Raiders blocked Downing from interviewing for other jobs in order to keep him around.

Del Rio was openly critical of Musgrave’s play-calling at times this season. He questioned why lead back Latavius Murray only had five carries in the regular-season finale against Denver. He also wondered aloud why the Raiders didn’t play “big boy ball” in a pivotal loss to Kansas City and talked about over-ruling a play call in that same game.

The Raiders offense didn’t play well after losing Carr to injury, as one would expect, especially using rookie Connor Cook in the playoffs against Houston. After that loss, Del Rio was asked about a possible halftime switch to Matt McGloin. He said he asked, and said coaches wanted to stay with Cook.

This is the second time Del Rio and Musgrave have parted ways. Musgrave was fired after two seasons as Jacksonville offensive coordinator (2003-04) when Del Rio was Jaguars head coach. 

There was other Raiders coaching news on Tuesday.

The Raiders plan to keep defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. in his current position, a league source told CSN California.

The NFL Network reported Tuesday morning that Norton will be retained.

The Raiders defense struggled preventing yards allowed at times, but improved as the season went along.

That unit, which needs upgrades at several spots including defensive tackle and interior linebacker, also had 30 takeaways this season and was solid on third down.

Norton is popular among the players, and has a strong backer in edge rusher and vocal leader Bruce Irvin.

Irvin voiced support for Norton on Twitter.

“The system has been proven. (It) works! I know that firsthand. Everyone must buy in!”

Overall, the Raiders finished the season ranked No. 26 in total yards allowed and 20th in points allowed.

Head coach Jack Del Rio also has a strong influence on this defensive scheme.

Also, the Sporting News reported that Raiders defensive backs coach Marcus Robertson has been fired. Robertson was Raiders secondary coach under Dennis Allen, and was retained in 2015 at Charles Woodson’s behest.

Del Rio singled out the secondary as a major reason why the Raiders allowed too many explosive plays.

Practice report: Conley locking in mentally while rehabbing injury

gareon-ap.jpg
AP

Practice report: Conley locking in mentally while rehabbing injury

NAPA – Gareon Conley ran Sunday for the first time in two months. The Raiders first-round cornerback remains on the physically unable to perform list with a shin injury originally suffered during a June minicamp. He wants to get back on the field. He just isn’t ready yet.

Missing training camp certainly sets back a dynamic cover man, but it doesn’t mean Conley can’t make an instant impact. While he hasn’t been seen on the practice field, the Raiders have been encouraged that Conley’s proving a quick learner and an inquisitive mind.

“We’d love to have him out there right now,” Raiders assistant head coach – defense John Pagano said. “When he’s out there, he’ll be out there. Until then, I think he got the reps he needed in OTAs. His mental game has picked up tremendously. He’s always asking questions, even more. It’s hard for a lot of injured players in this league to stand there on the sidelines and be able to just watch and look out there, but he’s always asking. He’s getting those mental reps.

"When he’s able to come back, he’ll be at a fast level. Injuries are part of the game, you deal with it and you just have to make sure, as a rookie, you’re taking those mental reps.”

Conley has been on the practice field with his position group most days, with a play sheet in hand to follow along. He has also lifted weights the past two days and worked on the JUGS machine Wednesday.

Nearly a month remains until the regular season starts, leaving Conley time to get back in the mix.

QUICK SLANTS

-- Cornerback Sean Smith took some reps with the first unit on Wednesday, though most of them came as an outside corner in the nickel package. TJ Carrie slid inside in those instances, and generally remained outside in the base defense.

Smith had his second straight quality practice, a sign he might be rebounding after a rough week where he practiced with the second unit and didn’t fare well at Arizona. The Raiders hope he can build on good work and be steadier in coverage.

“I think he’s growing every day,” Pagano said. “There’s always highs and lows in this game. You don’t want to make it, as we term, inconsistent. We’re always looking for the consistency. It’s how you build. It’s how you learn. It’s how you come off those things. There’s always room for improvement in the backend, in the front, all across our defense. There’s guys we’re asking them to go out there and make plays. Has he been improving at practice? Yeah. Then our job is to take that practice stuff and take it to the game field and have that consistency and that carry over to those types of games.”

-- Offensive line coach Mike Tice praised Ian Silberman’s play in a position switch to center. He has seen extensive reps there in camp, including a massive amount in the preseason opener at Arizona. Silberman will play some left guard in coming weeks to establish versatility and give him a shot to make the team.

-- Undrafted rookie Nicholas Morrow played with the first unit in sub packages, as the Raiders continue searching for coverage options in those personnel groups.

-- Jon Feliciano worked with the first unit on Wednesday at left guard. He will be a primary backup at every interior line spot. He is working back from a knee injury that kept him out until last week.

Tice finds silver lining on Raiders' offensive line as Penn's holdout drags on

penn-ap.jpg
AP

Tice finds silver lining on Raiders' offensive line as Penn's holdout drags on

NAPA – Donald Penn won’t step foot in the Napa Valley Marriott this year. Unless something truly shocking happens, the Raiders will break training camp Thursday afternoon without seeing the Pro Bowl left tackle on the practice field.

Penn wants a new contract, one worth more than the $5.8 million base salary he was scheduled to make under his current deal. Penn has outperformed that pact, and is willing to wait for a new one.

It’s been 20 days with no movement.

That has forced offensive line coach Mike Tice to make other plans. He has to move on with the players he had in camp, even with the virtual certainty Penn will return before the regular season starts.

Marshall Newhouse is the Raiders left tackle. Vadal Alexander is on the right. That’s who Tice has to work with. He has to prep them for the regular season opener Sept. 10.

“Where I’m at right now is I have to get us ready to go out and beat Tennessee,” Tice said after Wednesday’s practice. “So right now, I have Marshall on the left and I have Vadal on the right and I have David doing a little bit more each day, playing both sides. That’s what we have. I can’t sit here and wonder when DP is going to come back. Right now I’ve moved forward with Marshall is on the left and Vadal is on the right and David is swinging.

"That’s reality right now. I can’t think that there’s going to be something else there until it’s there.”

When Penn eventually shows up to work at the Raiders complex in Alameda, Tice will add him to the mix. The Raiders have now had plenty of time to prepare for an instance in which their Pro Bowl tackle is not physically able to perform. 

“Injuries happen during the season and you have to have a plan to have a player ready to play at each position and sometimes multiple players ready at the same position,” Tice said. “With Donald not here yet, we’re able to have Marshall over there. He’s done a nice job. He’s gotten better. The challenge you have with a veteran guy that comes in, he’s been coached by other coaches to do things a different way and it takes time for a veteran to learn the ways to do things the way that we want to do them as Raiders. That’s probably the biggest challenge.”

Penn isn’t the only offensive lineman to miss time. David Sharpe and Jylan Ware have missed some time with injury. Kelechi Osemele has taken some time off this camp. Jon Feliciano only returned from the physically unable to perform list last week. Tice has mixed and matched just to get through practice.

“We’ve had some days where we’ve had to make it happen with 10 or 11,” Tice said. “When you have that, you get the ability, you have the ability, you have the opportunity to develop your depth. In the long run, it’s actually a good thing.”