San Francisco's Mayfield TKOs Forbes in 10 rounds

488509.jpg

San Francisco's Mayfield TKOs Forbes in 10 rounds

June 17, 2011

Ryan Maquiana
CSNBayArea.com

AUSTIN, TX In the opening bout of ESPN2s Friday Night Fights, San Francisco welterweight Karim Hard Hitta Mayfield took a giant step in his boxing career with a tenth-round stoppage of former world champion Steve 2 Pounds Forbes.Behind a heavy overhand right and effective pressure, Mayfield, 146.5, mugged Forbes, 149, throughout the bout and prevented the Las Vegas resident from mounting a consistent offensive attack, as the Fillmore native built a sizable lead heading into the final frame.After a series of blows to the head and body had Forbes (35-10, 11 KOs) reeling into the ropes for cover, Mayfield (14-0-1, 9 KOs) unleashed a final salvo that prompted referee Gregorio Alvarez to call a halt to the bout at 1:03.The moment would mark the first knockout loss of Forbess career as well as a milestone for the rising Hard Hitta, who passed the ten-round barrier for the first time as a pro.I definitely attribute my stamina to the camp both down in L.A. (with Pacquiao) and up in the Bay, said Mayfield, who trains at SFC Boxing in the Tenderloin. My strategy with my coach was to come forward and impose my will on him, and that was also a big key to the win.REWIND: S.F.'s Mayfield to prepare Pacquia for Mosley
It was going to be hard for Forbes to adjust to Karims style, reflected longtime trainer Ben Bautista in the locker room. Before the fight, I knew Karim was going to give him some trouble.With over a year having elapsed since his previous fight, the clock had been ticking on the 30-year-olds stagnant status in the boxing world. However, a month in Hollywood as Manny Pacquiaos sparring partner along with a new contract with Prize Fight Promotions opened the doors necessary for Mayfield to get this opportunity to fight in front of a national audience.It felt good to silence the naysayers and accomplish the victory in front of about 30 friends and family, said Mayfield, whose wife Shanda and three children will commemorate Emancipation Day with him upon his return. It took a heap of money to fly everyone out, but Im just thankful right now for all the support. I cant wait to come home tomorrow and celebrate Juneteenth at the Civic Center.

Report: LeBron won't waive no-trade clause for any team

lebron-james-hat-presser.jpg
AP

Report: LeBron won't waive no-trade clause for any team

It appears that for the 2017-18 season, LeBron James will play for the Cavaliers and only the Cavaliers.

LeBron will not waive his no-trade clause for any team, according to ESPN's Chris Haynes.

[RATTO: Kyrie Irving needs to be traded to one place, and one place only]

LeBron is under contract for two more seasons, but he can opt and become a free agent in the summer of 2018.

As a result, Cleveland could lose the four-time MVP in a year and get nothing in return.

So even if the Cavs wanted to trade LeBron, they can't.

This report comes out within days after news leaked that Kyrie Irving reportedly requested a trade from Cleveland.

In an ESPN story posted on Monday morning:

"Irving was tired of being Robin to James' Batman. Tired of having another superstar -- even one of the best players of all time -- in control of his fate. Yes, he had learned from James in the three seasons they'd played together. Yes, he was appreciative.

"But Irving felt the time had come to take his destiny into his own hands. He wanted to be the centerpiece of a team, as he thought he was going to be three years ago, when he signed a five-year extension 11 days before James decided to come home."

Irving is under contract for three more seasons, but can opt out in the summer of 2019.

He is scheduled to make $18,868,625 next year and $20,099,188 in 2018-19 -- team-friendly numbers considering Irving's stature.

Things are about to get very interesting...

Drew Shiller is the co-host of Warriors Outsiders and a Web Producer at NBC Sports Bay Area. Follow him on Twitter @DrewShiller

Steve Kerr: Multiple reasons Warriors will be even better in 2017-18

kerr-steve-trophy-parade.jpg
USATI

Steve Kerr: Multiple reasons Warriors will be even better in 2017-18

Steve Kerr sees the frenzied activity around the NBA in recent weeks and concedes some of it likely is a response to the superiority of the Warriors while rolling to their second championship in three seasons.

So, of course, the league will be happy to hear the coach issue a warning.

“We’re going to be better, for sure,” Kerr said in a weekend phone interview with NBCSportsBayArea.com.

Better than the team that posted a 67-15 record in the regular season before concluding a 16-1 postseason that stands as the best postseason record in history.

Kerr cites the core of the roster remaining intact, the second season with Finals MVP Kevin Durant as a Warrior and the increased firepower off the bench with the additions of Nick Young and Omri Casspi.

“If you look at last year’s roster, the one thing that was lacking was (3-point) shooting off the bench,” Kerr said. “Ian (Clark) did a great job. He was kind of prominent shooter off the bench. We have other guys who could score, but their main role is to do other things for us.

“But in terms of having designated shooters, we were able to add two really, really high-quality guys. Both are 6-7, 6-8, so they can switch and guard multiple positions. They’re both really good fits.”

The Warriors last season ranked 29th -- in a 30-team league -- in 3-pointers made off the bench. Young, a career 37.6-percent shooter from deep, is coming off a season in which he shot 40.4 percent. Casspi is shooting 36.7 percent beyond the arc for his career, and shot 34.9 percent last season while limited to 36 games due to injuries.

Young and Casspi join a team that generally was considered the best in the NBA, and that was before the Warriors bossed through a postseason that ended with a five-game destruction of the defending champion Cavaliers.

Within days of the championship parade in Oakland, teams were making moves designed to fortify their rosters, most notably with Chris Paul going to Houston, Jimmy Butler to Minnesota, Paul George to Oklahoma City and Gordon Hayward to Boston. Carmelo Anthony finally is ready to flee the Knicks and Kyrie Irving wants out of Cleveland.

And, yes, there is good reason to believe all this All-Star movement is connected to the dominance displayed by the Warriors.

“I guess some of it,” Kerr said. “When you think about certain teams, and what they’re doing, you could attribute it to that. But on the other hand, everybody is just trying to get better. That’s what they should be doing. I don’t think it’s that earth-shattering.

“So I wouldn’t say that everything is attributed to us, because every team is in its own little world, with their own set of circumstances whatever that is. Everyone has to do what is best for them.”

More from Kerr:

On Lakers coach Luke Walton providing a scouting report on ‘Swagy P’ -- “He just said he was great last year, fun to be around, a great teammate and he thought he would thrive with our veteran group. He also said he was much better defensively last year than people realized. That’s what we’re going to ask of him next year. He’s got to be really good defensively. We know he can shoot.”

On his health -- “I’m in good hands. I’m seeing all the right people. I’m feeling pretty good. I’m getting a little better, so we’ll see where it all goes. I’m having a good summer, getting in the ocean a lot and enjoying myself.”

On the possibility of a White House visit, which NBA commissioner Adam Silver believes champions should make -- “We haven’t had any discussion about it. So we’ll just see if the invitation comes. And we won’t hold our breath.”