Havlat rejoins Sharks; Boyle still recovering

YSTL: Bruce: Lapierre's intent wasn't to injure Boyle

Havlat rejoins Sharks; Boyle still recovering
October 19, 2013, 11:45 am
Share This Post

Martin Havlat has been skating on his own as he continues to recover from pelvic surgery this offseason. (USATSI)

SAN JOSE -- Marty Havlat has rejoined the Sharks and is skating with the team, although there is still no timetable for him to return to game action.

“He has a gap to close yet before he’s ready to play in a game, but we feel comfortable now that he can close that gap with our group,” Todd McLellan said on Saturday morning. “We want to practice fast so that gets Marty’s pace and tempo up, being around the group.”

The 32-year-old forward had offseason pelvic surgery and has yet to play in any preseason or regular season games. He had been skating on his own since the start of camp.

As for defenseman Dan Boyle, the 37-year-old is still recovering from getting hit from behind by Blues forward Maxim Lapierre on Tuesday in St. Louis. Boyle was not at SAP Center on Saturday morning, as the Sharks prepared to host the Flames.

“Boyler is the same as yesterday, he's still being observed by our doctors,” McLellan said. “As time goes on, we expect him to get better and get back in the lineup.”

* * *

The Sharks have reassigned forward Bracken Kearns to their AHL affiliate in Worcester. Kearns made his season debut on Thursday in Dallas.