Havlat expected to miss season opener
Doug Wilson and Marty Havlat offered conflicting takes on the veteran winger's health Wednesday. (AP)
SAN JOSE – Marty Havlat will not be ready by opening night, but Sharks general manager Doug Wilson expects the injured winger to return to the team at some point during the season after his offseason pelvic reconstruction surgery.
In a conversation with CSNCalifornia.com on Wednesday, Wilson said, “Our goal is to get this player back 100 percent on top of his game.”
Earlier in the day, in an interview with Comcast SportsNet’s Brodie Brazil, Havlat said: "If there were a game tomorrow, I'd want to be in it. And I would be playing. Feels great right now.”
That’s a bit premature, though, according to Wilson. The general manager, Havlat, and the Sharks’ training staff had a meeting on Wednesday to formulate a plan to get the winger back to full strength. The Sharks want to avoid a repeat of the 2013 playoffs in which Havlat played two games, but left both before the end of the first period.
That was frustrating for the team, according to Wilson, but Havlat’s “surgery went well, and a timeline will be established by Marty and the medical staff,” he said.
That timeline is currently unclear, but Wilson does expect Havlat's return to the Sharks to take place at some point.
“He had his surgery, and he’s progressing really well,” Wilson said. “We have to continue to do the rehab to get him ready to play.”
The Sharks have their first practice of training camp on Thursday, and open the 2013-14 season on Oct. 3 against Vancouver.
[KURZ: Training camp roster revealed]