Instant Replay: Sharks shut out despite franchise-record 59 shots

Instant Replay: Sharks shut out despite franchise-record 59 shots
January 29, 2014, 9:00 pm
Share This Post

The Oilers' Ben Scrivens broke an NHL record while wearing a mask from his former team. (USATSI)


Ben Scrivens’ epic, record-setting performance was the difference in the Edmonton Oilers’ 3-0 win over the Sharks on Wednesday night at Rexall Place.

The Sharks fired 59 shots on goal, a new franchise record, but Scrivens’ 59 stops marked the most saves a goaltender has ever made in an NHL shutout in the expansion era (1967-68).

The Sharks were all over the former Kings backup, particularly in the first two periods. Scrivens stopped every shot directed his way, several of which were spectacular.

[RELATED: Wednesday's NHL scoreboard | Thursday's NHL schedule]

His best stops came in the second period. Scrivens got his right pad on Matt Nieto’s chance about three minutes into the middle frame, and later robbed Bracken Kearns’ rebound attempt with a diving glove at 8:39. On the ensuing faceoff, he flashed the leather once again, snagging Jason Demers’ rebound try, leaving the Sharks defenseman mouthing a distinct “wow” while sitting on the ice after the whistle blew.

Patrick Marleau's breakaway with less than two minutes to go found the blocker of Scrivens, and Marleau was denied again seconds later on a two-on-one rush.

Scrivens was also aided by some iron, as Tommy Wingels hit the crossbar and Joe Thornton the post in the second period. In the third, Scrivens denied Brent Burns in a two-on-one and Wingels with about eight minutes to go to keep the shutout intact.

Scrivens, who was acquired from the Kings on Jan. 15 for a third round pick in 2014, was still wearing his Los Angeles goalie mask. On Monday against the Kings, the Sharks were shut out by Jonathan Quick, and have not scored since Thornton’s overtime marker against Minnesota on Jan. 25 (120 minutes). They have lost two in a row after a five-game winning streak.

[NEWS: Phoenix officially changes name to Arizona Coyotes]

Justin Schultz, Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle got the goals for the Oilers.

Schultz’s point shot at 10:51 of the first period beat Antti Niemi through a screen, and Hall converted on a two-on-one with Eberle at 6:10 of the third period. Eberle was able to feed Hall with a pass through Justin Braun, who was defending.

Eberle’s power play goal at 18:40 put the game away for Edmonton.

Marty Havlat played for the first time since Dec. 21. He missed 11 games due to injury, and came off of injured reserve two weeks ago.

Tyler Kennedy was hurt in the second period and did not return with an undisclosed injury. Edmonton’s Matt Hendricks also did not finish with a reported head injury, suffered during a late first period fight with Mike Brown, who connected with a hard left hand.

[RELATED: Sharks have favorable schedule before, after Olympics]

Special teams
The Sharks were 0-for-3 on the power play. Demers’ shot from the side of the net with 12 minutes left in the first period was their best chance.

Edmonton finished 1-for-2.

In goal
Scrivens’ only other career appearance against the Sharks came on Nov. 27. San Jose beat the Kings in a shootout, 3-2.

Niemi fell to 27-11-6. It was his first career loss to the Oilers in regulation (7-1-1).

John McCarthy came out of the lineup for Havlat, after playing the last 13 straight games.

Scott Hannan played on defense paired with Dan Boyle, replacing Matt Irwin. Hannan had missed the last seven games with a head injury.

Up Next
The Sharks visit Calgary on Thursday, and return home for the final four games before the Olympic break. They host Chicago on Saturday, followed by games with Philadelphia, Dallas and Columbus next week.